Calling all film makers & videographers

As a photographer, have u ever thought or venturing into film making n videography?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfck

Jul 14, 2005
Singapore
Since there isn't a thread on this, thought i start one. Anyone wants to share yr expriences
yr comments... ranging from videocams to software editing. or if you hv any questions, fell free to post it here....

perhaps, i'll break the ice... here's a questions, how many photographers r thinking or venturing into film making n videography? :dunno:

possibly.. no story ideas on hand though. tried my hand on making and editing some vacation videos a few years back.

Not at that stage yet. But trying to move from playwriting to screenwriting.

The difference in representation of ideas on screen and in reality is a challenge to scripting.

working, surviving(for now), freelancing filmmaker/videographer.

always keen to play DP to your stories.

pm me. Got own gear cam , steadicam - more than my own photography stuff.

in case people wonder, I'm B.A. film and television (minor in design photography)

videography is a different ballgame altogether, seriously. Other than the tool still being called a camera, the skill sets are different, the logic behind it is different, the planning is different, the way it is shot is different, etc etc etc...

if you ask me it's best to focus on one and stick to it, doing both will just wear you too thin... of course I mean to do it pro or semi-pro not take up as hobby for fun, if it's for fun then go ahead and try it.

Hey everyone, why don't we go over to sgfilm.com? It's a community for filmmakers and movie lovers. It isn't as active as CS, but maybe we could get something going.

Photography and videogaphy is both similar and disimilar in many aspect. for one its both a camera but shoot and filming is uniquely different. Video filming used a number of shooting technigues quite similar to photograpghy but the editing is entirely different etc etc and the list goes on. Even videography and filming is different and often misconstrued.

kenele said:
Photography and videogaphy is both similar and disimilar in many aspect. for one its both a camera but shoot and filming is uniquely different. Video filming used a number of shooting technigues quite similar to photograpghy but the editing is entirely different etc etc and the list goes on. Even videography and filming is different and often misconstrued.

Very true.It also differs greatly in the way you approach composition, because a scene is meant to transition smoothly, and it has an entrance and exit estab shot to ensure there is smoothness in order to stick to the script.

I'll stick to photography and scriptwriting, and let the DOPs/Cinematographers do their work ;).Through doing stills photography on set, I have learnt quite a fair bit.It's not as glamourous as what many youngsters think and there is a lot of attention to detail that is very vital.

I wish I can shoot romance some day like those in k drama - My Girl and I type :embrass:

Wow, Thank u all for the replies... v gd feedback... keep it coming... :thumbsup:

i think photographers will make better film makers than videographers... wat do u think?:think:

edfck said:
i think photographers will make better film makers than videographers... wat do u think?:think:
from which aspect do you say that?

edfck said:
Since there isn't a thread on this, thought i start one. Anyone wants to share yr expriences
yr comments... ranging from videocams to software editing. or if you hv any questions, fell free to post it here....

perhaps, i'll break the ice... here's a questions, how many photographers r thinking or venturing into film making n videography? :dunno:
If filmmakers are photographers themselves, they will be able to get good composition, good lighting etc. However, it's not the same for photographers going into film or video. Yes, there will not be a problem with composition, lighting part, but there are other aspects of video that are quite different from photography, like transitions, panning shots, when to use closeup, when to use wideshots, etc etc and there is also the sound aspect. Which is why in a movie, there are different people involving in different aspects of the movie itself. The Director of Photography, like the name implies, takes care of the visual aspect and also calls for the various lighting, the Director takes care of the overall, and there are people watching out for other things like continuity etc etc in the various takes.

For me, I think I will stick mainly to photography. Videography will just be something for fun and laughter. I don't think I am cut out to do videography. :)

i studied video productions as my poly major, but i just made the switch to photography as a career choice recently...

had a conversation with stereobox a few days ago and a similar topic came up. we both agreed that a motion picture requires the collaboration of a team, and the creative input as an individual is largely reduced. in photography, the creative decisions are very much, if not solely, mine... so i prefer photography a lot more.

yeah i do agree with most of the comments posted... perhaps the only similarity is creativity.

edfck said:

i took quite a few wedding videos,yes..juz using a videocam..used to do simple editing myself but after awhile,let my fren do the editing due to heavy workload..guess i forgotten how to edit nowadays!! ;)

Boddah said:
a good dop may make a good photographer, but a good photographer may not make a good dop.
I agree with that. Some movies, it really seems like each frame can easily pass for a good photograph!

edfck said:

Sorry, but i honestly think this remark is very one sided. I am a film student. Shot my thesis project recently in digital DVC pro 50m. The significance of photography helps in the initial composition. Not much on lighting and anything else. And the title of DOP (Director of photography) Does not apply to videographers. It only applies to Conventional film shooters. There is a certain amount of experience and ability needed before a camera man can be quantified as a DOP. As what Boddah has said. A good DOP MAY make a good photographer but not vice versa. Dop is not for everyone who wanna just grab a cam and shoot. It is an in born talent. If you have it, then you have it. If you don't have it. you will never have it. I have a few stories to show that this fact is quite true if any of you want to know pm me.
I sincerely apologise for this bad sounding attitude. But i really find it hard to swallow when people keep calling themselves DOP when they cannot hardly even operate a videocam much less a film camera. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.