Calibration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
Hi guys,

I had calibrated my laptop using SpyderExpress. When editing RAW Files using photoshop, it first opens up and the space Adobe RGB (i defaulted my cam to Adobe RGB). After adjusting the sliders, I click on Open and prompted with a "Embedded Profile Mismatch".

There are 3 options to choose from -
1) Use embedded profile (which is Adobe RGB)
2) Convert document's color to working space (i defaulted working space to Spyder's profile)
3) Discard and don't color manage

Q1) Which should I choose if I want to see the exact colors that I adjusted using the RAW editing?

Q2) If I need to print out my photo, what do I need to do to ensure what I see on screen is what i get when printed out from say photohub?

Thanks in advance for help rendered! :)

救命啊 lol...

Hi guys,

I had calibrated my laptop using SpyderExpress. When editing RAW Files using photoshop, it first opens up and the space Adobe RGB (i defaulted my cam to Adobe RGB). After adjusting the sliders, I click on Open and prompted with a "Embedded Profile Mismatch".

There are 3 options to choose from -
1) Use embedded profile (which is Adobe RGB)
2) Convert document's color to working space (i defaulted working space to Spyder's profile)
3) Discard and don't color manage

Q1) Which should I choose if I want to see the exact colors that I adjusted using the RAW editing?

Q2) If I need to print out my photo, what do I need to do to ensure what I see on screen is what i get when printed out from say photohub?

Thanks in advance for help rendered! :)

Hi bro, if you had used Adobe RGB in your cam, you need to set your photoshop to Adobe RGB working space instead of setting it to your spyder created profile. The spyder created profile will automatically be set as the default monitor profile in your OS. That's all that's required. The calibrated colors will be reflected since your monitor profile had changed. However 1 thing to note is that the colors u see on ur photo editing sw will not be the same when you upload the pictures to the net and other people viewed ur pictures using a web browser. Some web browsers e.g mozilla enables users to change the viewing color space and most of the time, its defaulted to sRGB. :)

for Q2, you may need to ask the Pros here who often send their pictures for printing.
I may think that its quite unlikely you can get a printout which looks the same as what you see on screen as their printing color management may not be the same as what you have. However, i think adobe rgb is gets a closer color resemblance when printed.

Do you have a display that is able to show Adobe RGB? If not all your efforts are useless.
Have you verified that your printshop (photohub) can handle Adobe RGB? If not .. forget Adobe RGB.

Unless you have the need to work in that colour space and the equipment to work with it Adobe RGB is not useful at all. The whole Internet uses sRGB.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srgb

You can ask the shop to print without any corrections. That should preserve whatever adjustments you have done.

Last edited:
hi both, thanks so much for the help and clarification. Hope to have more replies regarding the printing part as I will be printing some photos and hope to have more info on what do I need to take note so that I can have the same colors that I am seeing on screen. :)

thanks so much.

Hi bro, if you had used Adobe RGB in your cam, you need to set your photoshop to Adobe RGB working space instead of setting it to your spyder created profile. The spyder created profile will automatically be set as the default monitor profile in your OS. That's all that's required. The calibrated colors will be reflected since your monitor profile had changed. However 1 thing to note is that the colors u see on ur photo editing sw will not be the same when you upload the pictures to the net and other people viewed ur pictures using a web browser. Some web browsers e.g mozilla enables users to change the viewing color space and most of the time, its defaulted to sRGB. :)

for Q2, you may need to ask the Pros here who often send their pictures for printing.
I may think that its quite unlikely you can get a printout which looks the same as what you see on screen as their printing color management may not be the same as what you have. However, i think adobe rgb is gets a closer color resemblance when printed.

Do you have a display that is able to show Adobe RGB? If not all your efforts are useless.
Have you verified that your printshop (photohub) can handle Adobe RGB? If not .. forget Adobe RGB.

Unless you have the need to work in that colour space and the equipment to work with it Adobe RGB is not useful at all. The whole Internet uses sRGB.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srgb

You can ask the shop to print without any corrections. That should preserve whatever adjustments you have done.

did some finding and decided to post and hope it can benefit the rest as well.

Printing ur photos at a lab?
1) Calibrate ur monitor (this is the most impt thing to do)
2) Find out the preferred color profile of the lab you will be going to (most likely sRGB)
3) Set working space of Photoshop to sRGB
These steps will ensure that the colors you see in Photoshop will match what you print out from ur lab. Of cos... remember to save in sRGB as well.

Note
- After u have edited ur pic and see that it is perfect in Photoshop, you will likely to be shocked when u open the jpeg file using Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. The colors u see will be OFF from what u see in Photoshop. Reason being, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer is NOT color managed. Thus I urge you NOT to panic or worry. This is perfectly fine.

- Try uploading to flickr and hoping to see what you saw in Photoshop? Chances are you will not. Reason being... most browsers do not color manage as well! I urge you to download Firefox Beta as it is a color managed browser and definitely understands how to show sRGB.

I hope this helps u guys when u need to do printing... :)

Uploading to the web?
Finally finished editing in Photoshop and uploaded tonnes of pictures in Flickr and discover the colors arent really the same?

Same thing here... ur browser is not color managed. You can download the Firefox Beta (i sound like an advertiser but bear with me).

But firstly, ask urself... what is ur ultimate aim? Because most pple are using IE or the non color managed Firefox. So what they see will be off colored pictures as well.

If your aim is to ensure that these "color-blind" pple can see ur pictures in the way u want, remember to "PROOF" ur picture. Go to Photoshop > View > Proof Setup and choose Monitor RGB (should be ur calibrated profile). Do a Ctrl+Y to see what happens to ur picture. That is what u will see if you use ur Windows Picture & Fax viewer and ur non color managed browsers.

Someone pls correct me if I had mentioned misleading info. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.