Calibration of Monitor

Inconsistent WB, some are ok (#2, #8, #13 ..), some ways too warm (#1, #3, #4 ..). Seems there is something wrong in your workflow.
Also, you have removed any colour space information. That could also cause display problems.

which calibriation device do you use? software or hardware?

Inconsistent WB, some are ok (#2, #8, #13 ..), some ways too warm (#1, #3, #4 ..). Seems there is something wrong in your workflow.
Also, you have removed any colour space information. That could also cause display problems.
Thanks for advice. But, what is actually workflow and colour space information?

which calibriation device do you use? software or hardware?
I visited your Flickr and I really like your photos. By the way, I'm using Mac Mini with a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 screen. I'm only Primary 5 and my family does not know much about Photography. Appreciate if you could really help me on this. :)

I visited your Flickr and I really like your photos. By the way, I'm using Mac Mini with a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 screen. I'm only Primary 5 and my family does not know much about Photography. Appreciate if you could really help me on this. :)

I saw your post of Cosfest, some of white balance is off.

Thanks for visiting my flickr. :)

Software: it's not accurate as you use your eyes to determine the right colours sliding the levels. Some software is free but it still give off values, I tried it before.

Hardware: I used a Spyder 3 Express calibration device, I'm quite particular about it to make sure I got the what I see and output so I want to save all the hassle and do it once all right to get a calibration device.

You may read this for more information.

Between do ask your parents about it if you are getting the hardware, you need your parents' consent. Cheers.

Thanks for advice. But, what is actually workflow and colour space information?
Workflow - the flow of all your activities, starting with loading images from the camera, editing, image adjustment like cropping, resizing, colour adjustment, contrast, saturation, brightness, noise reduction .. you name it.. up to the point of uploading to any website (or any other form of final presentation). It also covers categorization, sorting etc. - depending on how detailed you want to have it.
Colour space ... that's a complex topic and you MUST spend some time and reading efforts here in order to understand some basics, otherwise your chances of consistent images will be very low... To start:
Wikipedia: Colour Space
Since you are a beginner I strongly recommend sticking to sRGB and adjust your camera and all your image software to work only in this colour space. Do check whether your image editor can handle this. If not, better de-install on the spot. All tools and software provided by the camera manufacturer (usually on CD in the box) fully support all colour spaces, you can use it right away without worries. All Adobe products (Photoshop, PS Elements, Bridge, Lightroom etc.) fully support different colour spaces and can be adjusted accordingly. Many famous image viewers (Faststone, Irfanview) and Windows tools do not support colour spaces, they just show whatever they think is right. Apple's Operating System and applications are fully capable and aware of the color space.
Which one to take? For Windows have a look again at Wikipedia: Image Viewers, the table "Features" lists whether the software includes "Color Management (ICC)". My recommendation: FastPictureViewer. For editing either you go for Adobe Products (costly if you don't get the educational license) or the OpenSource software GIMP.
Finally, after all your editing, you need to export and upload your image. During export make sure the colour space is sRGB (the Internet only "speaks" sRGB when it comes to colours) and the profile is included into the image. Secondly, your browser also must be aware of the colour space. Firefox does it, Chrome also (afaik), Internet Explorer is not, as to be expected.
For further reading and testing please have a look here: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

Hope that helps, happy reading :)

PS: I have skipped the topic of monitor calibration, wmayeo has already pointed you to a good source. Do keep in mind to calibrate your monitor before you even do any image adjustments. Otherwise all your editing work is wasted time.

Last edited:
I saw your post of Cosfest, some of white balance is off.

Thanks for visiting my flickr. :)

Software: it's not accurate as you use your eyes to determine the right colours sliding the levels. Some software is free but it still give off values, I tried it before.

Hardware: I used a Spyder 3 Express calibration device, I'm quite particular about it to make sure I got the what I see and output so I want to save all the hassle and do it once all right to get a calibration device.

You may read this for more information.

Between do ask your parents about it if you are getting the hardware, you need your parents' consent. Cheers.
Thanks for the information. Btw, where can I try out this Spyder 3 Express calibration device and how much will it cost? Will it be able to interface with my Samsung SyncMaster monitor?

Workflow - the flow of all your activities, starting with loading images from the camera, editing, image adjustment like cropping, resizing, colour adjustment, contrast, saturation, brightness, noise reduction .. you name it.. up to the point of uploading to any website (or any other form of final presentation). It also covers categorization, sorting etc. - depending on how detailed you want to have it.
Colour space ... that's a complex topic and you MUST spend some time and reading efforts here in order to understand some basics, otherwise your chances of consistent images will be very low... To start:
Wikipedia: Colour Space
Since you are a beginner I strongly recommend sticking to sRGB and adjust your camera and all your image software to work only in this colour space. Do check whether your image editor can handle this. If not, better de-install on the spot. All tools and software provided by the camera manufacturer (usually on CD in the box) fully support all colour spaces, you can use it right away without worries. All Adobe products (Photoshop, PS Elements, Bridge, Lightroom etc.) fully support different colour spaces and can be adjusted accordingly. Many famous image viewers (Faststone, Irfanview) and Windows tools do not support colour spaces, they just show whatever they think is right. Apple's Operating System and applications are fully capable and aware of the color space.
Which one to take? For Windows have a look again at Wikipedia: Image Viewers, the table "Features" lists whether the software includes "Color Management (ICC)". My recommendation: FastPictureViewer. For editing either you go for Adobe Products (costly if you don't get the educational license) or the OpenSource software GIMP.
Finally, after all your editing, you need to export and upload your image. During export make sure the colour space is sRGB (the Internet only "speaks" sRGB when it comes to colours) and the profile is included into the image. Secondly, your browser also must be aware of the colour space. Firefox does it, Chrome also (afaik), Internet Explorer is not, as to be expected.
For further reading and testing please have a look here: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

Hope that helps, happy reading :)

PS: I have skipped the topic of monitor calibration, wmayeo has already pointed you to a good source. Do keep in mind to calibrate your monitor before you even do any image adjustments. Otherwise all your editing work is wasted time.
Wow, thanks for such a detailed explanation. As for workflow, I think I am doing as what you have said. By the way, I'm using Mac OS, which is the Mac Mini. At this moment, I am using two editor which is Photoshop CS4 Extended and Aperture 3. I am better at Photoshop. So would this be the correct editor for better colour space? If this is all correct, then probably my monitor is out of calibration. Please advice :D

Thanks for the information. Btw, where can I try out this Spyder 3 Express calibration device and how much will it cost? Will it be able to interface with my Samsung SyncMaster monitor?

check out at Cathay Photo. yes it works on LCD monitors.

Wow, thanks for such a detailed explanation. As for workflow, I think I am doing as what you have said. By the way, I'm using Mac OS, which is the Mac Mini. At this moment, I am using two editor which is Photoshop CS4 Extended and Aperture 3. I am better at Photoshop. So would this be the correct editor for better colour space? If this is all correct, then probably my monitor is out of calibration. Please advice :D
Mac? Ok, fine. Then focus on the monitor calibration.
Use whatever you feel works better for you. I have seen Aperture and I'd prefer it, but that's personal preference.

What about using Safari on Mac OS? Does it also 'speak' sRGB when exporting pictures?

check out at Cathay Photo. yes it works on LCD monitors.
Thanks, hope to meet you one day and learn more from you . Perhaps my next school holiday. :)

There is no 'trial', you get it and it works :) For accurate colour management you need to redo the calibration anyway after some time (say, a couple of months) because monitors age and colour reproduction changes.
It will work with your Samsung, no worries. There is nothing to interface, you put the device on the screen, follow the instructions. Hint: switch off screen savers for the time of calibration to avoid interference.

What about using Safari on Mac OS? Does it also 'speak' sRGB when exporting pictures?
Safari is a browser, right? What do you want to export there? Safari is colour space aware.

Mac? Ok, fine. Then focus on the monitor calibration.
Use whatever you feel works better for you. I have seen Aperture and I'd prefer it, but that's personal preference.
Thank you for advice. Since you are also a Canon user, I hope to learn more from you too after my mid-term exams. :)

Thanks, hope to meet you one day and learn more from you . Perhaps my next school holiday. :)

I'm better at posting than photography. :bsmilie:

You may join the outings and ask questions and hopefully you get your answers correctly from the right person. ;)

Thank you for advice. Since you are also a Canon user, I hope to learn more from you too after my mid-term exams. :)
The camera is the tool. Does the brand of the hammer matters when you drive the nail into the wall? :)
All the best for your exams.

Thanks Octarine and wmayeo for spending time on this forum with me. Need to pack my bags for school tomorrow, so I have to go now. Enjoy your night! :D

Thanks Octarine and wmayeo for spending time on this forum with me. Need to pack my bags for school tomorrow, so I have to go now. Enjoy your night! :D

You're most welcome.

Study smart and get great results, I'm sure your parents would 'reward' with new gears. :cool: