Calibration of Lens

buzzmario

Mar 12, 2011
As a newbie here, i still dun understand calibration. As i google, calibration needed when there is focus issue.

So is all lens sold come with free calibration? i call up a shop to ask for pricing and term and condition, for tokina , there is free 2 time calibration, for Tamron, there is nil, when i ask why, , was told tokina got problem so got free calibration.

So why is it so? if tokina got calibration issue, is it a product of lower quality. From i google, tokina is better than Tamron, yet it dun have calibration issue?

mine is nikon, so fro nikon lens, is there calibration issue, and if needed, need to pay too if under warranty?

please enlighten me. thanks

Last edited:
Tokina is a better company because they give free calibration. Tamron tries to save $$$ so offers no free calibration.

The shopkeeper is not too enlightened.

Calibration is needed when the lenses back or front focuses. Some manufacturers are more prone to this happening this they offer free calibration. All manufacturers is prone this this occurring

Something to read, so that you understand where the need of calibration comes from .. or most of the times: the assumption that calibration is needed.
LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other myths
LensRentals.com - Notes on Lens and Camera Variation
LensRentals.com - How to Test a Lens
Don't forget, certain camera bodies come with AF micro adjustment features - which enables you to set certain minor corrections without the need for calibration.
And last but not least (or rather: most of the times) user errors are much more likely to be the cause of misfocusing and soft images.

Something to read, so that you understand where the need of calibration comes from .. or most of the times: the assumption that calibration is needed.
Don't forget, certain camera bodies come with AF micro adjustment features - which enables you to set certain minor corrections without the need for calibration.
And last but not least (or rather: most of the times) user errors are much more likely to be the cause of misfocusing and soft images.

Octarine said:

+1 :thumbsup:

The free calibration is only during warranty. What abt after warranty?

The free calibration is only during warranty. What abt after warranty?
By then you should have learned how to eliminate human errors and how to use a focus test chart. If your camera has micro AF adjustment feature you can do everything DIY.

By then you should have learned how to eliminate human errors and how to use a focus test chart. If your camera has micro AF adjustment feature you can do everything DIY.
Google the focus chart, still blur in how it work. In lay man, can I while purchase testing it with my camera, with f2.8 first focus a object with objects behind, follow by focus a object with objects infornt. If my subject object is clear , it consider that there is no af issue aka back and front focus issue?

Thanks

Google the focus chart, still blur in how it work. In lay man, can I while purchase testing it with my camera, with f2.8 first focus a object with objects behind, follow by focus a object with objects infornt. If my subject object is clear , it consider that there is no af issue aka back and front focus issue?
As mentioned, there are many possible human errors, be it from wrong handling up to misunderstanding about how AF system works. I'm not aware that a shop allows extensive testing inside the shop - let alone give you the space to setup a tripod there (in order to avoid handshake blur).
Wirhout knowledge I would not even recommend the simple battery test, or newspaper tests - chances that you do something wrong and blame the equipment are simply to high. I have listed afew links earlier, read them slowly and try to understand what that means. Get the lens and start shooting. If you really feel there's something wrong then do a structured and systematic assessment (=> focus test chart and other methods), eliminating human errors first. Once it's confirmed then you can either use the AF micro adjustment (if available) or approach the service center. Again, 90% is human error ..