Calibration issues: monitor not = print

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMSS_2

Hi to all,

counter some problems with colour reproduction with my monitor and print. it doesnt seem to match even though i have calibrated the screen with eye-one and did the necessary "environment change" (change all bulbs in room to cool-white bulb).

the monitor doesnt look as vibrant as the print(frontier). red not as red, blue not as blue...... What could have gone wrong? Time to change LCD monitor?

change the printer

calibration of monitor will only give u 'correct' colour on the monitor.
so if u send your pic for developing @ photo labs, you can tell them no correction is needed.

U will need another device to calibrate the printer output.
In addition, u will also need to calibrate the output if u use different types of paper.

I think GMB sells but id very expensive.

Colourplus has a product called PrintFix...CP is selling for $777 (i think)

how to do printer profiling with digilab (frontier)? :dunno: anyway the setting for the prints is no correction except for density (which is all printers will auto correct if i am not wrong). but even if there is no density change in the picture, the colour is still not as vibrant as the print.

how wide is the gamut for frontier printer? anyone knows? need to do some comparision with my monitor gamut profile.

i know miao laan in bukit batok has their frontier profiled. U can download the profile off www.drycreekphoto.com and do a soft proof on the photoshop before you send for print at their shop.

Saw this banding issue in PS CS2 when doing color selection. it wasnt there before i did the calibration. Any help guys?:dunno:

_1100191a.jpg

The last time I have banding it was because my graphics card was can't support my big monitor.

Anyway for your print colour problem, as several guys have mentioned, you need to get the colour profile of the printer. Then print something on their paper using that printer and calibrate again, assuming it's eye calibration again.

NMSS_2 said:
Saw this banding issue in PS CS2 when doing color selection. it wasnt there before i did the calibration. Any help guys?:dunno:

_1100191a.jpg
If you are using 16-bit colour for your display card, it would be useful to switch it to 24-bit mode. It might solve your problem. Otherwise, I can't think of any other reasons for the banding. What did you use to calibrate your monitor?

frontier machines are mostly vibrant compare to correct colours, it is normal, what you can do is bring down the saturation before printing

lsisaxon said:
What did you use to calibrate your monitor?

eye-one v2

tunster said:
frontier machines are mostly vibrant compare to correct colours, it is normal, what you can do is bring down the saturation before printing

that will be defeating the whole purpose of the calibration right?

Thanks all for the help. think i will try to get a newer lcd. the gamut in my old lcd looks pathetic when compared to ACD or eizo which might leads to inaccuracy.

Because the printer has their own profile, not unless you use your computer to calibrate their printer, you can't possibly get WYSIWYG.

tunster said:
Because the printer has their own profile, not unless you use your computer to calibrate their printer, you can't possibly get WYSIWYG.

That's the whole basis of what NMSS is trying to resolve. Colour management and printer profiling.

I think you have some misconception here....

NMSS: Check if you have omitted any steps during the GM profiling process. I know of many people who clicked on the next button too eagerly and missed out some calibration steps in the process.

When properly profiled on a decent moniter with the appropriate frontier output profile, your results should be nearly identical to what you have on your moniter.

Question: Did you convert your image to the output profile before sending for printing and ask for absolutely no adjustment?(check the frontier code on the back of the print, it should be NNNN)

How did you compare with your source image? Did you use the softproofing function in PS?

everything for the calibration steps did liao. even did it more than three times in a day for several days just to be sure!

the printed image was with the profile of miao lann. i compared it with miao lann profiled image in the PC. the result is colour not as saturated as the profiled print.

I asked for no adjustment in picture. and the back of the print shows NNNN.

worst thing is the banding problem which never happened before till i calibrated the monitor. weird siah!

think my lcd monitor got some problem in displaying the colour correctly. i use a old 19" phillips crt to calibrate and manage to get it right without the banding problem in CSII while the lcd shows it. looks like got to spend money again!

very surprised to see the gamut of the crt to be in very good range! but too bad, i have too many speakers around.

Status
Not open for further replies.