Calibration/ Focusing Problem from Lenses purchased off Amazon

AnthonyFrancis

Nov 7, 2010
Hi All,

I am a newbie hoping that some of you would shared your experiences of buying lenses off the web from B&H or Amazon in the US.

I will be purchasing some Canon lenses off the Amazon Website and having them shipped to a friend's house in the US. My friend will hand carry the lenses to Singapore while he is here.
Though the process, I will probably will have a 20 to 25% savings compared to the local prices.

But one of my consideration is that I have heard that some lenses may have calibration or focusing problem when you purchase them.
As I will be purchasing the lenses off the web, I will not be able to check the lense before then product arrives.
Canon Singapore has localized all the lens warranty since Sept 2010 so having it calibrated in Singapore may incurr some charges if the lens is faulty.

1. Can some kind people shared their experience in purchasing their lenses off the website and having the lenses delivered?
2. What are are the chances of the lens having calibration problem? ie. Focusing problem?
3. Cost of recalibration of the lens should it fault by Canon?
4. Can this problem be easily fixed by the user?
5. Any other factors or risk I should consider?

Appreciate all your input.

Cheers,

Anthony

:)

I have never had any calibration or focus issues. But I don't buy Canon lenses.

3) Ask Canon Service Center
4) Yes if your camera has the option for micro adjustments. Consult your manual.
5) Singapore customs will 'smell' the fresh lenses and your friend has to pay GST.

Thank you for the advise.

Cheers,

Anthony

3) Ask Canon Service Center
4) Yes if your camera has the option for micro adjustments. Consult your manual.
5) Singapore customs will 'smell' the fresh lenses and your friend has to pay GST.

Not sure if it is worth the risk...
But thank you for the sharing.

Cheers,

Anthony

I have never had any calibration or focus issues. But I don't buy Canon lenses.

It is not just about calibration (which you will have to pay for without warranty). What if the lens break, no warranty u know? And your friend might get hit with GST (7%) more and cause him some stress and delays clearing the arrival hall. And your friend have to carry the stuff back for you... checked luggage? or hand carry? Your friend will get very tired if hand carry. The lenses may get damaged if checked in. Even when we carry our own lenses back, we take extra precaution - putting lens in our hand carry camera bag, fold up boxes and store in check-in luggage flat.. etc... Even after that we grumble about the weight sometimes. And you want to do it to your friend? Is he/she even a photography person? Does he/she know how to pack lenses properly?

In the end, the thought of saving 20-25% (13%-18% after GST, still have to calculate customs admin 'fee') is not that attractive looking at the above risks and inconvenience... especially the risk of losing that friendship.

Personally I never like to ask too much of a favor from friends. I wouldn't like to be inconvenienced, so I will not do it to my friends too.

Last edited: