Calibrating Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklim

Jan 4, 2006
Bukit Timah
Hi guys,

Despite reading many guides regarding colour on screen and actual prints, i still do not understand what is calibration and how to get accurate prints that look the same as what i am seeing on my screen.

I have a Canon iP5000. And when i printed my pictures today, i realised that it looks very different from my screen.

I would like to know why do we need to calibrate our display ? And does calibrating our display means making the colours same as what appears when we print ?

Why do we have to calibrate our display when we have to do "on-screen proofing" or what it is called and what is it ? Can i set my printer to print what my screen is seeing ? And how do i do it ?

Does it mean that no matter how we calibrate our monitor & printer, our image will still appear different on different computers and different printers?

Hope someone can help me in all these questions. :dunno:

Thank You,
Mark

Calibrate your display so that your computer knows what your display can do
No it does not make your colours same as your print

You can set your screen to display what your printer will print
how to do it? first you need to get profiles for your screen and printer
and set it via software.

Yes the image will look different on different screens and printers
every device is capable of different things, colour management tries to minimise this.

there is a book on colour management at the lib

thanks for your quick reply :D

does calibrating my display make the colours similar to those who have calibrated their screen ?

and if its going to be different, that means we have to edit many different versions if we were to publish to many different computers ?

eh..u calibrate ya screen to get the correct "colours" on screen...for printouts u need to have a proper printer profiling to give u the correct print output...this could be downloaded...such as those provided by the printing labs...or u can go to the lab and tell them to print out their profile for u on hardcopy and manually create a printer profile yourself for that printer....
(i guess it works the same way for ya home printer)

then when u are editing your photo...lets say u edit in srgb...due to web postings and all..... u have to edit wif the printer profile as it may give u slighty differents...this is called colour proofing(am i right? if i am wrong guys can point out)...

cheers

ooO.. i think i finally understand a little.. :D:D thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.