calibrate hydrometer

ghost7

Dec 11, 2011
Singapore
Hi guys,

I would like to seek help on calibrating hydrometer for my dry box. Before I am "scolded" for not owning a dry cabinet, I must say that I am saving up and plan to get one next month;)

For now, am stuck with my dry box thus decided to do some calibration to make sure the reading on the hydrometer is accurate. I had research from Google about calibration however all the method require the hydrometer to be removable. My hydrometer is stuck on the lid on the dry box, thus would like to seek advice on how to calibrate with a hydrometer which cannot be removed. Is it alright to follow the same method and store the salt inside the dry box? Is a higher quantity of salt require since dry box is much bigger than a container.

Thank you:D

Can you at least remove the cover of the box? I remember most boxes have their hygrometer on the lid.

Once you remove the cover get a large enough ziploc bag to do the salt test.

ghost7 said:
Hi guys,

I would like to seek help on calibrating hydrometer for my dry box. Before I am "scolded" for not owning a dry cabinet, I must say that I am saving up and plan to get one next month;)

For now, am stuck with my dry box thus decided to do some calibration to make sure the reading on the hydrometer is accurate. I had research from Google about calibration however all the method require the hydrometer to be removable. My hydrometer is stuck on the lid on the dry box, thus would like to seek advice on how to calibrate with a hydrometer which cannot be removed. Is it alright to follow the same method and store the salt inside the dry box? Is a higher quantity of salt require since dry box is much bigger than a container.

Thank you:D

It's only for a month. The error is not likely to be that far off. there isn't an absolute higher than x you're in trouble number.

Don't waste your time. Go do something useful.

Agree, if it's a month, I rather just keep it in my camera bag and leave the pack or two of those silica gel that comes along with your bag..
If you shoot often like once or twice a week, you dun even need to worry abt this for now.... Just wait for ur dry cabi to come.

Btw: it's a Hygrometer - a device to determine humidity level. Hydrometers are something different.

TS, as Octarine has pointed, do note that hydrometer is for measuring specific gravity of liquid. For example the acidity of a solution. Lest you bought the wrong instrucment.

I would not worry about calibrating the hygrometer of the dry box or dry cabinet. Maintaining the humidity level in such enclosure need not a a precise measurement. Do you have a situation when the silica gel when the silica gel turned pinkish but the meter still register below 50/60?

Err... Why is there an incessant need to calibrate it anyway?

Hi daredeveil, Thank for your suggestion, would use it if I need to use a dry box in future.

Hi qystan, I agree with ur comment and decide to leave it as it is currently. Thank you.

Hi cowseye, Thank you for your comment :)

Hi octarine, thank you, taken note of it alr.

Hi kkgoeplore, Nope, when it turn pinkish, the meter reach around 55.

Hi blur shadow, from what i read, it is because it is very common for hygrometer to have inaccurate reading. With calibration, it is safer and easier to gauge the reading.

Hi blur shadow, from what i read, it is because it is very common for hygrometer to have inaccurate reading. With calibration, it is safer and easier to gauge the reading.
I'm still thankful to my Maths teacher in Primary School who coined the term "Sufficient Accuracy". Not everything that we can measure down to 10 post-decimal digits is also required in this precision. RH is one of them, an inaccuracy of 5% is not critical.

Hi kkgoeplore, Nope, when it turn pinkish, the meter reach around 55. QUOTE]

If the meter reads 55 and the gel start to turn pinkish, indeed the reading is wrong. They start to turn pinkish close to 70 and completely at 80. I keep new gel in the dry cabinet at between 50 to 55 RH.

ghost7 said:

Haha! Ok. Still, I wouldn't be overly concerned about that, but hey, do tell us how you finally do it if you have the time.