Calendar Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Hi,

I am planning to make desktop calendars featuring my son's photos. Here are a few samples of the layout. The idea is to print them in 5.3" X 4.6" photo and place them in a CD jewel case sized display case. The case cover, when opened, can be flipped backwards (like a audio casset tape case) and used as a holder to display the photos on a desk top.

Would appreciate your feedback and suggestions on how to improve the design.

Thanks!

Roy

Keven2_0411_sample.jpg

Keven2_0501_sample_001.jpg

Keven2_0506_2_sample.jpg

Keven2_0510_sample.jpg

Not too sure what the theme for each month is, but I think that in your part of the world, there's the 4 seasons, so how about using an image with Kev and the time of the year (Winter, Autumn, Spring, Summer) in the background and correspond them with the actual months they're protraying, would be nice.

Btw, you selling these calendars :D ?

Nice layout, Roy ! A few suggestions :

1. Get rid of the banding around the month, and use a contrasting color to the font.

2. One picture a month, or at least, one large and one smaller inset if it enhances the main pic. The two equal-sized side-by-side ones don't really work for me.

3. Great idea doing as a series from young and growing up. Change the moods slightly, mostly happy, sometimes pensive, sometimes just a nice quiet smile.

4. Add Chinese calendar dates in smaller type, will be of interest to ang-mohs and of use to Chinese :D

5. Leave some space below the dates so that people can jot down things ... ie. make the calendar a bit more useful for things like appointments, people more likely to keep on their desk.

Great concept ! And a gift that keeps on giving :)

Hey... I thought of doing that too... I even asked the prices for doing so... how much are u quoted?

Thanks for all the feedbacka and suggestions! You guys are fast!

Willy,

I am doing the layout myself and intend to print them as normal photos at a local lab. Since the layout is not standard photo size, I would have to print each month on 5X7 paper and then trim it to the correct size.

The cost of printing 12 photos (US$0.75 each) plus the special jewel case ($0.60) for holding them adds up to about US$9.60.

Once I get the tmeplate done up I can customize it for other photos relatively fast...in other words, I can make customised calendars and earn a few dollars... ;) ...I asked around my co-workers and most feel that US$30 a set seems like a reasonable price.

Anyway, here's an earlier layout that received poorer reviews....I think the background and text is fighting for attention with the photo...that's why I changed it to the simpler layout above that seems more elegant. If you have any suggestins on how to improve this I would really appreciate that also. I kind of liked the background and can probably generate a few different ones from my Tulip Festival photos.

Thanks again!

- Roy

sample.jpg

espn said:
Not too sure what the theme for each month is, but I think that in your part of the world, there's the 4 seasons, so how about using an image with Kev and the time of the year (Winter, Autumn, Spring, Summer) in the background and correspond them with the actual months they're protraying, would be nice.

Btw, you selling these calendars :D ?

I did not have photos that really illustrated the seasons...maybe I can find some with Keven and my wife in the photos...hopefully I can make a special "Keven and Mum" set for my wife.

As for selling calendars, I plan to test the market next month, after I have made the first sample. Of course I will not be selling the ones with Kevens photos, but they would make a great gift for my family in China and SG. People interested can send their set of photos to me and I can fit them into the final layout. Should take about 1 hour to process a set. ;)

I pretty much like the 2nd layout :)

Here's the second layout I settled upon:
Keven_floral_0503_sample.jpg

And here's a simulation of what the final product looks like:
Product_view.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

- Roy

What a beautiful child. You are a very fortunate dad and proud too I bet.
All the best with the calendars; great idea :thumbsup:

Pablo said:
What a beautiful child. You are a very fortunate dad and proud too I bet.
All the best with the calendars; great idea :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Keven is a real blessing for my family.

As for the calendars, so far I've got order for about 20 sets already.. :D .

Thanks for sharing Roy!
Think I'll try to make some for gifts :)
For myself, I wanted a personal A4-ish calendar of my landscape photos, so decided to try out
http://www.shutterfly.com/calendars/index.jsp
The price of the calendar themselves seems decent but the international shipping is half the calendar price :(
Have you tried them?

nuts said:
Thanks for sharing Roy!
Think I'll try to make some for gifts :)
For myself, I wanted a personal A4-ish calendar of my landscape photos, so decided to try out
http://www.shutterfly.com/calendars/index.jsp
The price of the calendar themselves seems decent but the international shipping is half the calendar price :(
Have you tried them?

Do you have Vpost account? I am not sure but maybe that can be cheaper?

You can also try:
http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/storesvcs/persprods/index.html

I have never tried them, since I came up with my own design. :p

Just curious, would your calendar design come with Western public Holiday or our Local public holiday? Do we have a choice to choose the Local public holiday on the calendar if order from you?

Hosea said:
Just curious, would your calendar design come with Western public Holiday or our Local public holiday? Do we have a choice to choose the Local public holiday on the calendar if order from you?

Hehe...actually I did not offer the calendar making service to our CS members...but if you are really interested, then please check your PM for details....

Thanks for your interest, that is really a moral booster for me!

- Roy

wah i oso interseted leh...ex or not? :p

roygoh said:
Hehe...actually I did not offer the calendar making service to our CS members...but if you are really interested, then please check your PM for details....

Thanks for your interest, that is really a moral booster for me!

- Roy

vince123123 said:
wah i oso interseted leh...ex or not? :p

Wah I am really flattered man! :D

I don't think I can meet the schedule of delivering the calendars to Singapore before Christmas (because I need to re-generate the calendar text to show SG holidays), plus I cannot offer the service at an attractive price because of the higher cost of printing in US plus the shipping cost. So I have to regretfully turn down your inquiry.:sweat:

My appologies....

Next year I will try to find a partner in SG to offer this service to CS. Hopefully you will still be interested by then.

- Roy

roygoh said:
Wah I am really flattered man! :D

I don't think I can meet the schedule of delivering the calendars to Singapore before Christmas (because I need to re-generate the calendar text to show SG holidays), plus I cannot offer the service at an attractive price because of the higher cost of printing in US plus the shipping cost. So I have to regretfully turn down your inquiry.:sweat:

My appologies....

Next year I will try to find a partner in SG to offer this service to CS. Hopefully you will still be interested by then.

- Roy

No need to wait till next year to find a partner to do calendar printing, if you wait, I can recommend you one now, Starprint Design, 35 kallang pudding road, blk A, Tong Lee Building, Tel 67493363, Email:starpd08@singnet.com.sg They deal with calendar printing, name cards,leaflets, flyers, enlargement of photos and etc

Xpose said:
No need to wait till next year to find a partner to do calendar printing, if you wait, I can recommend you one now, Starprint Design, 35 kallang pudding road, blk A, Tong Lee Building, Tel 67493363, Email:starpd08@singnet.com.sg They deal with calendar printing, name cards,leaflets, flyers, enlargement of photos and etc

so you mean they will custom made the calendar for you or can we design in photoshop and ask them to print for us?
Expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.