Calculations of the "X".......

Status
Not open for further replies.

commander

Aug 25, 2004
hi ppl,

just wondering how is the X eg. 12X optical or 3X optical zoom really means. i only know the higher the better.

haha

it is also somehow related to the "how many mm" thingy rite?
anyone care to enlighten??

Hi commander,

MMMM..to put it simple, it means the camera is able to zoom in and out when u r taking a pic. the word 12X, 10X or 3X just is able the same with 12X= 28-420mm or 10X= 28-300mm or 3X= 35-105mm( comparing with a DSLR type of camera) ..something like that. dont bother to use the build in digital zoom, the pic sucks, just use the optical one.. u did say the higher(ZOOM) the better, mmm the longer u zoom , the more hand shake u will get too! so the best is not to zoom all the way out when u can take a pic by walking closer to the object.

Good luck and enjoy yr new toy, cheers
geno.

apparently the "x" represents how many times of the widest setting... eg for FZ30's 35-420mm equivalent, 12X = 420/35=12.

However, do note that the standard (no zoom no wide) is 50mm. So a 420mm zoom is only 420/50=8.4x magnification. It will NOT be the same as a 12x binoculars or whatsoever.

Interestingly, it is very easy to kena 'tricked' by cameras with a wider angle... eg lx1's 4x zoom sounds good but the max zoom is only 112mm ~ 2x magnification, or fuji s9500's 10.7x = 300mm which is 6x magnification. The 'x' is large coz their widest angle is 28mm ;)

ahsosl1e8 said:
apparently the "x" represents how many times of the widest setting... eg for FZ30's 35-420mm equivalent, 12X = 420/35=12.

However, do note that the standard (no zoom no wide) is 50mm. So a 420mm zoom is only 420/50=8.4x magnification. It will NOT be the same as a 12x binoculars or whatsoever.

Interestingly, it is very easy to kena 'tricked' by cameras with a wider angle... eg lx1's 4x zoom sounds good but the max zoom is only 112mm ~ 2x magnification, or fuji s9500's 10.7x = 300mm which is 6x magnification. The 'x' is large coz their widest angle is 28mm ;)

I learn something today. ... "no zoom no wide" :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

commander said:
i only know the higher the better.

Be careful about such assumptions.

It only mean that the the lens is capable of a wider range of reach. But in everything, there is always a trade-off. As a rule, the wider the reach, the harder it is to make good lenses because you are introducing more variables to the lenses.

But if your requirements are not too stringent, it should be OK. But to say "the higher the better" is not terribly correct.

One point being left out, digital zoom is nothing but just using software to resize the picture size, normally resulting in loss of image details. Think of using PS to enlarge a small picture.

Basically, the question has been answered already... but to make things clearer:

28-280mm = 10x
36-360mm = 10x too.

So it depends on how wide u want your widest setting to be. Choose carefully. As for digital zoom, as mentioned, it is just like cropping to get to "closer" to the subject so avoid it if u can. But if your camera is of a high megapixel count, say 7.2MP or 8MP, I suppose it's alright to use that 4x of digital zoom? What say the rest?

With a 8MP digicam, I'd rather set to max resolution, exhaust the max optical zoom, and crop the portion I want after shooting. I wouldn't use the digital zoom at all. Just my humble opinion.

Well, yes. That's what I'd do too. Haha! But there're those who do not have a 12x zoom and/or they do not want to do any/much post-processing. Like those cameras with 3x optical but 4x digital?

Aiyah, it's really up to the individual. Haha! We're just here to pass our time & help explain where we can. CHeers!

how about those "mm" stated on the camera on the camera, eg 35 or 28. does that mean 28 is better than 35, given that 28 is a smaller demoninator and thus giving greater "X" zoom?

i heard about the digital zoom already. it sucks and i don't even use it.......

commander said:
how about those "mm" stated on the camera on the camera, eg 35 or 28. does that mean 28 is better than 35, given that 28 is a smaller demoninator and thus giving greater "X" zoom?

i heard about the digital zoom already. it sucks and i don't even use it.......

number in "mm" is d effective focal range. 28mm means its wider than 35mm, so a 3X optical zoom w/ 28mm at widest setting is diff from a 35mm. both can b 3X zoom, but focal value is diff.

anyway few compact cams start from 28mm (which is a pity). oni Ricoh & Panasonic has them. correct me if i m wrong.

Not trying to sund too harsh but do read up more.

Not trying to sund too harsh but do read up more.
Very true...

Neit. The smaller the "mm" (focal length), the wider the angle of view. The "x" can be said as just a marketing gimmick and hardly means anything. If u look at dSLR lens, nobody talks about "x". People use more precise specs like 50-200mm etc.

GENO said:
Hi commander,

MMMM..to put it simple, it means the camera is able to zoom in and out when u r taking a pic. the word 12X, 10X or 3X just is able the same with 12X= 28-420mm or 10X= 28-300mm or 3X= 35-105mm( comparing with a DSLR type of camera) ..something like that. dont bother to use the build in digital zoom, the pic sucks, just use the optical one.. u did say the higher(ZOOM) the better, mmm the longer u zoom , the more hand shake u will get too! so the best is not to zoom all the way out when u can take a pic by walking closer to the object.

Good luck and enjoy yr new toy, cheers
geno.

Hiee...Geno...

The Digital zooms of curent 8-10 mpix camaeras are not too bad...as they are cropped to sizes like 5mpix or 4mpix......

So one advantage for consumer/prosumer in the current aresenal of cameras are that the higher Mpix allow crops that are usable.

rgds,
sulhan

Status
Not open for further replies.