Cache level in CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limsgp

Dec 16, 2005
Singapore, Bedok
Hi,

Does anyone knows exactly what do the the cache level in CS2 preferences settings means? Tried to seach for it in the help files but cannot find related info. Thanks for any advise.

regards

Cache normally refers to a part of the RAM that is allocated to hold frequently accessed data to minmise HDD access to provide better performance. However, in Photoshop under preferences, there is a setting for cache level. Anyone knows what does the cache "level" stands for? How does it affects memory allocation and how is the impact on performance? Higher level means how much more RAM allocated? Any Photoshop experts care to comment?

cache level refers to the number of downsized images PS saves in the memory to facilitate viewing and editing when the view is zoomed out...

when you zoom out from 100%, to say 66.7%, if the cache level is set to 0 (not a possible figure but illustrates my point), PS has to churn out the visible image everytime you edit the image. If cache level is set to 1, PS saves a downsized image of the image at 66.7%, so you can actually work on the image at this zoom level, and PS can display the changes as it would be visible from 66.7% instead of constantly churning it from the 100% image. This speeds up editing, especially for large images.

higher cache level settings merely is an extrapolation of this, ie.
at 2, zoom of 66.7% and 50% is saved;
at 3, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%;
at 4, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%;
at 5, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 16.7%;
at 6, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 16.7%, 12.5%;
at 7, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 16.7%, 12.5%, 8.33%;
at maximum 8, 66.7%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 16.7%, 12.5%, 8.33%, 6.25%.

of course, nothing comes free...the cache is saved in your memory so if you don't have much memory, its best to use a smaller figure...:)

hmm.this is really interesting, was wondering how come my memory usage is still like 700++mb outta 1G when I closed all the pictures inside CS2, but CS2 itself is still open. Anything to do with the Cache?

And default value of the cache seems to be '6'. Lower no. is better? shall try tonight when I go home!

hmm.this is really interesting, was wondering how come my memory usage is still like 700++mb outta 1G when I closed all the pictures inside CS2, but CS2 itself is still open. Anything to do with the Cache?

And default value of the cache seems to be '6'. Lower no. is better? shall try tonight when I go home!

Just see what are the common zoom values you use.
For me, I typically use 25% up to 200%. So that's like level 5 cache.

For your memory problem, it's very strange. If the images are close, the memory should drop. Even when I change my history settings to remember only 5 states, the memory drops significantly and Photoshop turns responsive immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.