Cable release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShutterBugL

Mar 4, 2006
www.flickr.com
Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with your cable release after you've fired the shutter for a long (say 30 sec) exposure? Do you hold the fella for the whole time or let it dangle from the camera after firing? I've always found it a bit silly standing around holding the cable release but I'm hesitate to let it hang for fear of disturbing the camera while the shutter is open.

ShutterBugL said:
Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with your cable release after you've fired the shutter for a long (say 30 sec) exposure? Do you hold the fella for the whole time or let it dangle from the camera after firing? I've always found it a bit silly standing around holding the cable release but I'm hesitate to let it hang for fear of disturbing the camera while the shutter is open.

I tie it to my tripod and let it hand there... .:bsmilie:

for me, i just hang the control onto the ball head's knob while the rest of the wire is dangling.

for such long exposures, as long as the trigger point is not time sensitive (e.g. like when shooting fireworks), you can consider using the self-timer (2sec) instead / as well.

Dangle (but make sure it's behind the camera)

Thanks guys.

Seems that none of you are at all worried about disturbing the camera by hanging the cable release on the tripod after firing. Perhaps I'm being paranoid here. :sweat:

ShutterBugL said:
Thanks guys.

Seems that none of you are at all worried about disturbing the camera by hanging the cable release on the tripod after firing. Perhaps I'm being paranoid here. :sweat:

Haha it's all right man, unless your cable release weighs a ton! :bsmilie:

Woohoo! You guys were right. I really put it to the test tonight!

I dashed out to Labrador Park this evening to catch the sunset but couldn't find my cable release when I got there. :sweat: So I was forced to shoot this (bulb for 60 secs) with my finger on the shutter release button.

Pier.jpg

It looks just a tad soft. This was the longest exposure I tried tonight. The others were much sharper.

My holding the shutter release button for 1 minute doesn't seem to screw up the shot that badly after all. If so, then hanging the cable release carefully on the tripod after firing isn't going to have a significant adverse effect on the shot at all! :bsmilie:

Maybe I should call this shot: "Look ma, no cable release!" ;p

Usually for cable releases, it has a lock switch or position to keep the shutter open while in bulb shooting so that you don't have to keep it pressed continuously.

Nice pic there. Correct me if i'm wrong, it seems that u're using a large aperture to take this?

Thanks.

It was f1/14. I wanted a greater depth of field.

I couldn't find my cable release for this shot. I was hold down the shutter release on the camera for this shot. ;)

ShutterBugL said:
Thanks.

It was f1/14. I wanted a greater depth of field.

I couldn't find my cable release for this shot. I was hold down the shutter release on the camera for this shot. ;)

Okies...u mean f/14 instead?

Oicic...cos can see from the pic is slightly blurred, perhaps due to the movement of the cam while holding the shutter release down. In future do use the cable release, results can be a lot more different. :)

ShutterBugL said:
Woohoo! You guys were right. I really put it to the test tonight!

I dashed out to Labrador Park this evening to catch the sunset but couldn't find my cable release when I got there. :sweat: So I was forced to shoot this (bulb for 60 secs) with my finger on the shutter release button.

Pier.jpg

It looks just a tad soft. This was the longest exposure I tried tonight. The others were much sharper.

My holding the shutter release button for 1 minute doesn't seem to screw up the shot that badly after all. If so, then hanging the cable release carefully on the tripod after firing isn't going to have a significant adverse effect on the shot at all! :bsmilie:

Maybe I should call this shot: "Look ma, no cable release!" ;p

nice shot, just a tad soft! but i like the use of the lights and the overall feel of it... very warm n cosy... :thumbsup:

Snoweagle said:
Usually for cable releases, it has a lock switch or position to keep the shutter open while in bulb shooting so that you don't have to keep it pressed continuously.

Nice pic there. Correct me if i'm wrong, it seems that u're using a large aperture to take this?

A 60s exposure with a large aperture :think:... hmmm sure like to see the results.

solarii said:
A 60s exposure with a large aperture :think:... hmmm sure like to see the results.

It'll be overexposed. I didn't take note of the camera shake until i saw it closely.

Snoweagle said:
Okies...u mean f/14 instead?

Oicic...cos can see from the pic is slightly blurred, perhaps due to the movement of the cam while holding the shutter release down. In future do use the cable release, results can be a lot more different. :)

usually large aperture will not render point source of light as star-burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.