Cable Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

dccruzjr

Jan 24, 2008
Hi All,

I had done some post processing via Photoshop and I had decided to convert the picture into black and white since the original pic has a flat dull blue sky.

CarWire.jpg

I used the Holga Effect via photoshop hence need feedback on the processing on how it impacts the overall picture.

- Is the holga effect suitable to the picture?
- Do I need to add more contrast to make it look sharp?
- Is the added vignette just enough?
- Is Holga effect similar to the "Lomo effect"?

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

It's a cable car alright.

I suppose those guys in the alternative photography section are more in a position to give advice.

nice try at what people call minimalism,

but it doesn't quite work here. for one thing, there is far too little weight give to your subject, even slightly more would make a great difference. the cable car is also way too central for my liking. i know it is just off centre, but more to either side would benefit the picture greatly.

lastly, the vignetting is contrived. it does not really work for me, because it seems gimmicky.

that said, lomo-style pictures have a slightly different measure for judgement, but composition still counts. also, for a holga shot, this picture is still slightly too sharp. :)

It's a tiny cable car - too tiny to create a visual impact. A longer focal length would have been great.

the "Lomo" effect is a bit too overdone for my taste. You may also want to straighten the cable (make it parallel with the edge of the picture). A tighter crop to place the cable car in either left or right side of the picture to give it a sense move (either coming from or going to).

The vignetting is overdone. Don't get me wrong - I love vignettes, but they shouldn't be there for the sake of being there.

It was a good choice going with the desaturation over just a plain blue sky.

Upon first glance, I didn't even notice that it was a large cable car in the distance. I thought it was a section just above the car but can see now that you were a distance away.

A couple of things with the composition. First, I echo what nightmare said about the image -- the way this is composed the vignetting is unnecessary. In fact, it would probably have more visual impact if you get rid of it and open up the area around the photo. A vignette is used to focus in on the center of the image, not the center-top. So either get the cable car to the middle (in some cases it's okay to break the rule of thirds) or lose the vignette effect.

Second, the cable car needs to be brought lower in the photo. I know it's adhering to the rule of thirds but it just feels like it's off. When dealing with composition, I always trust my eye and if it looks funny to my eye, then it needs to be changed -- regardless of the the "rules."

I think it's got a lot of potential but it just needs more space. With a minimal shot you need lots of space or something that will give it some scale (mountains, people, etc.). This doesn't look at first glance like a cable car so it needs some space around it to work as an abstract.

subject too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.