Cable Broadband: Starhub or PacNet?

Which cable broadband service provider to go for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
Helping a friend to decide between the ISPs for cable broadband. Any difference in using either one? :dunno:

nicholaslee said:
alright. the answer is clear. Starhub 4 : 0 Pacnet ;)

make that 5:0. :D

starhub is using a shared cable for all units in a block. So you are competing for bandwidth with your neighbors. ADSL is better in the sense it is dedicated to you. So judge for yourself. I won't make the same mistake going with $tarhub.

Newman said:
Helping a friend to decide between the ISPs for cable broadband. Any difference in using either one? :dunno:

tbk said:
starhub is using a shared cable for all units in a block. So you are competing for bandwidth with your neighbors. ADSL is better in the sense it is dedicated to you. So judge for yourself. I won't make the same mistake going with $tarhub.

Well i think it depends where you are located at. For my place, i am getting 200+KB/s on Starhub, and my fren staying in the same block only gets <100KB/s on his Singnet.....

Helbreath said:
Well i think it depends where you are located at. For my place, i am getting 200+KB/s on Starhub, and my fren staying in the same block only gets <100KB/s on his Singnet.....
Actually for local access, on cable you can get abt 200KBs as you the connection speed is 1.5Mbps. But on a 512kbps ADSL connection, you get only 70KBs. If you download a lot of stuff, I definitely recommend cable to ADSL. But if you surf a lot, then ADSL would be better.

Newman said:
Actually for local access, on cable you can get abt 200KBs as you the connection speed is 1.5Mbps. But on a 512kbps ADSL connection, you get only 70KBs. If you download a lot of stuff, I definitely recommend cable to ADSL. But if you surf a lot, then ADSL would be better.

if cable is much more faster, why ADSL is better for surfing... :think:

I'm using Singnet broadband, thinking of changing to Starhub after I come back from my silkroad trip.

imho, if u do a lot of downloading.... starhub is better. :)

Hmm i never tried starhub 3000 so i don't know, but overall spead and price, i think starhub is better.

how come dun have other isp?

anyway, during last friday, something happen to all adsl network that almost everyone except singnet users cant login for 2 hours

i'm using pacnet and will go for starhub also.
there's termination fee (be it contract over or not) all that and i know of many who had complains abt pacnet...

therat said:
if cable is much more faster, why ADSL is better for surfing... :think:

I'm using Singnet broadband, thinking of changing to Starhub after I come back from my silkroad trip.
Cable is faster but the bandwidth is shared up to the exchange in your neighbourhood, I think. So when a lot of people are downloading stuff, surfing can be slow. ADSL is better for surfing as it's dedicated like I said earlier and so your surfing experience is more consistent. But it can be slow at times.

quekky said:
how come dun have other isp?

anyway, during last friday, something happen to all adsl network that almost everyone except singnet users cant login for 2 hours

SCV was the only provider for cable broadband. Then they were bought over by Starhub. Now PacNet is providing cable service also. And the thread topic is about cable service providers so there's only 2 at the moment.

there is a sharing policy, so you would almost never find it so congested that you 1.5Mbps cable falls to 256kbps at the branch level. Far more likely to have congestions at the websites.

Besides, you have the potential to get 1.5Mbps on cable, on ADSL you have no chance at all.

MaxOnline. In terms of performance, it beats ADSL (256K only). In terms of pricing, MaxOnline is not significantly more expensive than ADSL too. Besides, Starhub is giving FREE crystal edition xbox now :D

Newman said:
SCV was the only provider for cable broadband. Then they were bought over by Starhub. Now PacNet is providing cable service also. And the thread topic is about cable service providers so there's only 2 at the moment.

PacNet is renting the cable lines from Starhub; so most of the infrastructure comes from the latter. Obviously, Starhbub is better since it is leasing out the line to PacNet and should have more control and better service over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.