C750 focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

gongoo

Mar 12, 2006
Hello,
I have an Olympus C750 and would appreciate pointers on indoor sports photography. It's a hockey ice rink and the players are moving, and 50 to 75 ft away. I need a fast shutter, so I tried :

1/150 shutter speed
focal length 30mm (on 6.3 - 63mm, equivalent to 38 - 380 mm).
dim light so aperture is wide open f3.5.
Auto setting - hockey player (main subject) seems out of focus. Perhaps camera shake or short depth of field ?

My question is should I use manual focus and set it to infinity ? Or change the focus method from iesp to spot ?

How do I get the sharp pics that I see on magazine covers ?

Thanks.

puny

Feb 19, 2005
gongoo said:
Hello,
I have an Olympus C750 and would appreciate pointers on indoor sports photography. It's a hockey ice rink and the players are moving, and 50 to 75 ft away. I need a fast shutter, so I tried :

1/150 shutter speed
focal length 30mm (on 6.3 - 63mm, equivalent to 38 - 380 mm).
dim light so aperture is wide open f3.5.
Auto setting - hockey player (main subject) seems out of focus. Perhaps camera shake or short depth of field ?

My question is should I use manual focus and set it to infinity ? Or change the focus method from iesp to spot ?

How do I get the sharp pics that I see on magazine covers ?

Thanks.
You'll need an E1 brother but an E330 would be a good start and wait for the E1 brother that may release before X'mas...my guess.

I think it will be difficult to take sports indoor with the C750. Lens is not fast enough and zoom to 10x also post a challenge with a unsteady hand.

Though I've upgraded to E300, I'll still use the C750 for candid shots. Very good camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom