C2100UZ: Stick to ISO100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamWeng

Apr 7, 2002
Jurong
Visit site
I just took a photo of a bird (cloudy day). I used fully auto and 2100 gave me ISO400. The photo came out extremely noisy! I then took some test shots with ISO100 compared to ISO400. The former apparently looked better. Then does it mean that I just set the C2100 to ISO100 instead of Auto? What is the use of ISO400 if it's that noisy?

bird.jpg

A higher ISO value will allow you to use a faster shutter speed compared to one of a lower value. This is good when you are taking shot of a subject under low lightings and you do not have a tripod with you.

Well, I'm been shooting using the c2100. From my experience, iso400 is quite noisy and I alway customise the default to iso100.

Putting the iso setting on auto will have the camera select the higher iso in low light situations.

In low light situations, if i'm not too bothered with photo quality and noise and need the high shutter speed, I'll push it to the higher iso, if not, i will use iso 100 and a tripod.

Of course with longer shutter speeds, noise also sets in, so i guess it's achieving a balance of ur needs.

I guess it can be remedied slightly by post processing in PS.

ISO 100 locked here too .

Well the point is that if you use the flash light , there is no need to step in lower ISO than 100 ..

Now I learnt... :)

And also I've seen some photos taken with 2100 using odd ISO i.e. 121 etc. (in the EXIF info). How can that be huh?

Originally posted by KamWeng
Now I learnt... :)

And also I've seen some photos taken with 2100 using odd ISO i.e. 121 etc. (in the EXIF info). How can that be huh?

the camera uses all sorts of ISO when in auto mode...it's just adjusting the gain to its preference so that the exposure will be easy to obtain. Nothing unusual don't worry. :)

Can't remember where i read some info on that, but if i remember correctly :

When the 2100 is put in auto mode for the iso, it allows the camera to select iso levels inbetween the various step levels of 100, 200 and 400 for manual isos. This allows a balance between iso and shutter/aperture.

Correct me if i remember such remote things wrongly. :dunno:

Originally posted by taicw
Can't remember where i read some info on that, but if i remember correctly :

When the 2100 is put in auto mode for the iso, it allows the camera to select iso levels inbetween the various step levels of 100, 200 and 400 for manual isos. This allows a balance between iso and shutter/aperture.

Correct me if i remember such remote things wrongly. :dunno:

Yes...like some weird value ISO260....the DC will try the use the lowest ISO possble to get a properlly exposed pix.

But I still prefer to default to ISO 100....for the 'cleaniness'...

Originally posted by taicw
Well, I'm been shooting using the c2100. From my experience, iso400 is quite noisy and I alway customise the default to iso100.

Putting the iso setting on auto will have the camera select the higher iso in low light situations.

In low light situations, if i'm not too bothered with photo quality and noise and need the high shutter speed, I'll push it to the higher iso, if not, i will use iso 100 and a tripod.

Of course with longer shutter speeds, noise also sets in, so i guess it's achieving a balance of ur needs.

I guess it can be remedied slightly by post processing in PS.
but if u are taking a moving object in low light condition then u cant use a lower ISO with tripod rite?
in that case have to use a higher ISO and thus faster shutter speed?

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
but if u are taking a moving object in low light condition then u cant use a lower ISO with tripod rite?
in that case have to use a higher ISO and thus faster shutter speed?

This is ok if the moving object is not too fast...but for hyperactive kids that run, jump, shake abt every other second..the shutter speed even at ISO400 may not be able to 'freeze' the motion --> blur blur subject with clear background. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.