C vs N hahaha.... what say you???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hello each,

Over much time I have seen and read many good writings and many flames on the subject.

I am not swayed one way or the other myself (I own both brands..along with others).....
There is one point though that does bother me (as a sales person of DSLR's).
That point is that "C" cripple their entry level camera to get "C" buyers to buy the next model up.

What am I talking about you say ?

300D, 350D, 400D and 1000D do not have spot metering.

No other camera company play's this trick.

I have been told by a "C" rep that the idea is to intice customers that want that feature to buy a higher model.

It does not come down to price (here "O" twin lens is cheaper ... and has spot metering).
As I mentioned, I do not follow the (if have "N" then "C" is not as good, or visa versa)
I own "C" "N" "O" DSLR's and love them/use them all.
I simply think that "C",s marketing tactics for the first time DSLR owners SUCK.

Any feedback from you ? ....do you think I have it wrong (I will stand corrected).

Cheers :)

most of the entry lvl users dun even know what the different metering modes are for...so your point being?

My point is as stated...

They are being ripped off

IF THEY KNOW enough (they have read about how DSLR's can do what they do) or they want a budget DSLR.

Or they are interested in going to a photography class to learn about photography.

Many reasons....

That is a few of my points.

I own a 20D and 40D and love them both (I am questioning why "C" cripple an entry level when no one else does).

My point is as stated...

They are being ripped off

IF THEY KNOW enough (they have read about how DSLR's can do what they do) or they want a budget DSLR.

Or they are interested in going to a photography class to learn about photography.

Many reasons....

That is a few of my points.

I own a 20D and 40D and love them both (I am questioning why "C" cripple an entry level when no one else does).

you forget that most of the entry lvl consumers dunnoe nuts about metering. You know better, so big whoop for you. but can u honestly say that 95% of the amateurs even know what does metering do? got a problem with their corporate decisions take it up with them. they haven't done anything wrong.

Agree with the meaning behind the replies, though not the manner in which the reply was phrased.
Disclaimer, I own neither brands nor am I in the market for either.
But, it is common for brands to provide less features for their entry models, either to keep price points low, or to, as you've stated, entice or force users to trade up to a higher specc'ed model.
It seems to have worked right? Look at the number of folks running around with higher end cameras when they've got no idea how to work them. Nor do a fair number of them seem to want to find out, aside from asking for 'quick tips'. Right dude, stick it in Auto..
Honestly, they are better off with entry level cameras lah.

Hello TheQuestion,

Sorry if I don't answer your reply as you might wish.

I will answer it this way....

I sell less of the "C" entry level DSLR's than any brand after pointing out that they are crippled.

I am a "camera" sales person ... not a salesperson that thinks profit profit profit.

Good for me you might say.

Well I care about what I sell to someone...

They may not know about metering right now and may never know, but if the person has a limited budget (a student for example)..

And they want to learn photography (or even a mum or dad) then the entry level "C" will hinder their experience.

My point basically comes down to this.... why do they "C" do it when no one else does :think:

Thanks for your feedback "TheQuestion"

Hello TheQuestion,

Sorry if I don't answer your reply as you might wish.

I will answer it this way....

I sell less of the "C" entry level DSLR's than any brand after pointing out that they are crippled.

I am a "camera" sales person ... not a salesperson that thinks profit profit profit.

Good for me you might say.

Well I care about what I sell to someone...

They may not know about metering right now and may never know, but if the person has a limited budget (a student for example)..

And they want to learn photography (or even a mum or dad) then the entry level "C" will hinder their experience.

My point basically comes down to this.... why do they "C" do it when no one else does :think:

Thanks for your feedback "TheQuestion"

then they dun have to BUY the entry level CANON they always have the option of buying NIKON off the bat no one is forcing them. Free market free choice. Not like Canon is forcing them to buy something they might feel is crippling them. as i said b4 their marketing strategy is something they decide so if you have a problem with it feed it back to Canon. What's the point of speculating here if no one from Canon is gonna see your feedback?

then they dun have to BUY the entry level CANON they always have the option of buying NIKON off the bat no one is forcing them. Free market free choice. Not like Canon is forcing them to buy something they might feel is crippling them. as i said b4 their marketing strategy is something they decide so if you have a problem with it feed it back to Canon. What's the point of speculating here if no one from Canon is gonna see your feedback?

Canon might not see the feedback, but if I were a new buyer, I would take it in consideration. So this thread is not as redundant as you made it out to be.

Hi TheQuestion,

Your replies do have me thinking and also in ways have some form of credit.

But, I look at this way (to use a different example of marketing).

Let's say you are out to buy a small econimical car...

Car "A" is a 4 cylinder at $10,000 and it has plastic seats and does 100klm to the 10ltr

But car "B" that also has the same motor and leather seats and sells for $15,000 does 180 lkm to the 10ltr.

Is that fair ! with all things being equal other than the seats?

Especially when all other companies sell a cars that is the same as car "A" and does 180klm to 10ltr for $10,000

I don't get the logic.

As I pointed out previously, I have DSLR's of different brands and like them all, I just have a problem with the marketing decision made by one company.

Oh, as a P.S.

As, do you think that "C" or any other camera manufacturer will read my bleeting in this thread???

Do they read what is written in Dpreview and take note ???
Do they read what is wirtten in the biggest photography internet community "Club Snap"...
I would guess YES

most of the entry lvl users dun even know what the different metering modes are for...so your point being?

this is not very correct lay, maybe entry lvl users dun know like what u stated, but they can learn mah, but if they want to learn, than they must buy higher end model (though it doesnt means knowing how to use spot metering or using high end models, for example, will make one a better photog)? why like that? other brands, they can learn as much as they want from their entry lvl camera.

it is difficult, but try not to turn this into flame war lar. ts just stating facts here. though, maybe C give something else than others dont? and that makes it even?

quite interesting subject actually, if someone can state the functions and compare entry lvl camera from all makers of similar launch date. than newbie can compare. to me, with modern day tech, picture quality dont differ much lar.

Last edited:
I'm shooting on my 400D. No spot metering, no pc-sync port, below-average AF accuracy, small view-finder, max 1/200 flash sync speed etc etc.

I've been shooting for 11 months now. I like my photos, other people like my photos, I don't earn money from photography, it's strictly a hobby for now. If I don't have a feature, I try to work my way around it.

So, am I missing out? Yeah, maybe. Do I care that much? Not really.

Cheers,
Zexun

Haha, 450D has what. Anyway, Nikon doesn't have the focusing motor, so isn't that sort of withholding features? Now it doesn't make sense for lower-priced items to have all the features of high end ones, does it?

Look at Apple locking up Ipod touch features software-wise, to sell more iphones.

Hello each,

Over much time I have seen and read many good writings and many flames on the subject.

I am not swayed one way or the other myself (I own both brands..along with others).....
There is one point though that does bother me (as a sales person of DSLR's).
That point is that "C" cripple their entry level camera to get "C" buyers to buy the next model up.

What am I talking about you say ?

300D, 350D, 400D and 1000D do not have spot metering.

No other camera company play's this trick.

I have been told by a "C" rep that the idea is to intice customers that want that feature to buy a higher model.

It does not come down to price (here "O" twin lens is cheaper ... and has spot metering).
As I mentioned, I do not follow the (if have "N" then "C" is not as good, or visa versa)
I own "C" "N" "O" DSLR's and love them/use them all.
I simply think that "C",s marketing tactics for the first time DSLR owners SUCK.

Any feedback from you ? ....do you think I have it wrong (I will stand corrected).

has been some time since we last exchange pm'es ! hahaha brother how have u been.

cant believe u started this thread about C n N..... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

but N brand cripples its entry level dslrs by not introducing internal af motors

N users with entry level dslrs will ahve to buy af-s lenses, which are increasingly common, but have a number of additional strings attached to them, like price

so the conclusion is go for P. P is good, P is sexy, and P has internal af motors and spot metering. :lovegrin::lovegrin: along with in-body shake reduction

btw, i have never used spot metering, i just used centre weighted all the time and judge by experience what result the camera will give me

so the conclusion is go for P. P is good, P is sexy, and P has internal af motors and spot metering. :lovegrin::lovegrin: along with in-body shake reduction

P needs in-body shake reduction because P users tend to shake more than any other user. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

P needs in-body shake reduction because P users tend to shake more than any other user. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Achmed.jpg

I'm shooting on my 400D. No spot metering, no pc-sync port, below-average AF accuracy, small view-finder, max 1/200 flash sync speed etc etc.

I've been shooting for 11 months now. I like my photos, other people like my photos, I don't earn money from photography, it's strictly a hobby for now. If I don't have a feature, I try to work my way around it.

So, am I missing out? Yeah, maybe. Do I care that much? Not really.

Cheers,
Zexun

i'm shooting on my D300, got spot meter, pc-sync port, 51 point AF, max 1/200 flash sync speed.

But 90% of the time i don't use the above...... I using centre weight metering, manual focusing, my shutter speed all super slow, almost never reach 1/200sec.... i got 3 nikon speedlite, but don't know why i don't like CLS so i just cable them up and all set to manual.

I start macro for 13 month, spend money like hell, but only hobby, so zero income from it.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo what is you point????????

I am a Canon user and yes, I do think its not really "nice" to the entry level guy. I mean an entry level guy picks up a Canon 450D and then reads a good photography book.... then BAM! SPOT METERING.... don't have....;)

Yeah, its one of those bummer situations....;p So the poor guy learns how to work around it by estimating and compensating for the surrounding lighting. Learns how to expose for the forground and background, etc etc.... or he upgrades....:)

Is it fair? Well, it is stated in the marketing literature so in a sense its fair. Its not "nice" though.... withholding an option.

Btw, I hardly use the spotmetering anyway (which FYI is not 100% accurate for ALL cameras). After a while, you can sort of guess. ;)

I am a Canon user and yes, I do think its not really "nice" to the entry level guy. I mean an entry level guy picks up a Canon 450D and then reads a good photography book.... then BAM! SPOT METERING.... don't have....;)

Yeah, its one of those bummer situations....;p So the poor guy learns how to work around it by estimating and compensating for the surrounding lighting. Learns how to expose for the forground and background, etc etc.... or he upgrades....:)

Is it fair? Well, it is stated in the marketing literature so in a sense its fair. Its not "nice" though.... withholding an option.

Btw, I hardly use the spotmetering anyway (which FYI is not 100% accurate for ALL cameras). After a while, you can sort of guess. ;)

450D has spot what. All 4 modes. SO BAM!! HE GETS TO USE SPOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.