C-750uz + Metz flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymondb

Oct 21, 2003
Hi. Any C-750uz user here using Metz 32MZ3 flash with SCA 3202 adaptor?

How is the AF assist performing?
Under low light condition, when using the camera alone could not obtain a proper focus, will the AF-assist beam on the flash help totally or partially to obtain the proper focus?

I just bought a Metz 44 MZ2 with the SCA 3202 adaptor. Realized that the AF-assist beam is too weak and too high, which beam to area totally outside the view through the camera len, thus, will not help at all in focusing. Any one has any suggestion to shift the beam to the focusing area?

Thanks
Raymond

How about getting a bracket and an extension cable and mount the flash BESIDE the camera instead of above it.

The AF should be then more or less in line with your lens barrel. And maybe you can further adjust the left/right angle of the AF illuminator by turning the flash?

Something like the picture below:

R8-flash-metz.jpg

Cheers,
Davey

That was not bad an idea, but it also meant more $$$ to be parted.
What bracket will you recommend?

Like those photos you've taken, looks good. Were they taken with C-750?

The night scene shots seems a bit noisy, did you trun on the NR?

Thanks for your reply.

Raymond

Raymondb said:
Hi. Any C-750uz user here using Metz 32MZ3 flash with SCA 3202 adaptor?

How is the AF assist performing?
Under low light condition, when using the camera alone could not obtain a proper focus, will the AF-assist beam on the flash help totally or partially to obtain the proper focus?

I just bought a Metz 44 MZ2 with the SCA 3202 adaptor. Realized that the AF-assist beam is too weak and too high, which beam to area totally outside the view through the camera len, thus, will not help at all in focusing. Any one has any suggestion to shift the beam to the focusing area?

I am just wondering, are you shooting a subject too near? Cos generally the AF-assist will throw a pattern in front, and if the subject is too near, the pattern will be too high to be useful.

Don't really have any experience with flash bracketry, sorry dude.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a flash for my C750 too. Would be useful for indoor photography (e.g. Weddings etc.). Gotta friend getting married soon so maybe can volunteer my services and ask him to sponsor, haha!

The New York photos were taken with the C750. NR was turned on for the night shots of the Manhattan skyline from the Empire State Building (ESB). Problem was that they don't allow the use of tripods on top of the ESB so everything was hand-held or propped up against some metal fencing. As a result, even the better looking shots were not so sharp.

Actually the NR function of the C750 only helps to remove/reduce Hot Pixels, don't really help much in removing ambient noise. To remove noise, recommend using NeatImage for post processing. (Which was not done for those NYC shots)

Cheers,
Davey

Hi Raymondb,

Since you are using a Metz with SCA3202 for the C750UZ, need your advice on the following as I may end up getting a similar setup.

1. What is the flash sync speed? (i.e. what are the shutter speeds which I can use the flash?)

2. Can the flash intensity (which can be adjusted using +/- on the internal flash) be used with the external Metz flash as well?

3. The C750 has various flash modes, i.e. front curtain, rear curtain, slow sync, red-eye etc. Can all of these be used with the external Metz flash.

4. Any other limitations does the Metz using SCA3202 have as compared to the Olympus FL-40?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

From my brief experience with the use of the Metz44-MZ2 flash, these are the points I could offer you:

1. The flash seems to work very well with the C-750 camera, not sure exactly the sync. speed, got to check the manual.

2. Yes and no.
The intensity set in the camera will control the intensity of the Metz
flash, but, seems only in the following mode:
2.1 Camera in Manual mode with flash set to TTL mode, able to both increase(+) and decrease (-) the flash intensity;
2.2 Camera in TTL, flash in TTL mode, but only able to decrease the intensity.

In fact, of all 3 modes the Metz44 flash offered (Auto, Manual and TTL),
the intensity can be adjusted (downwards) on the flash itself.

3. Yes, they do work accordingly.

4. I've never used Oly FLash before, therefore, can't compare my Metz flash with them. However, it does seems to intergrate with the camera well.

The down points IMHO are:
1. It is huge in size compare to the camera body, which at times worries me on the hot shoe connection when the camera is tilted.
2. The focus-Assist beam can't be used with the camera, even if the object is of 2m away from the camera. (Quite disappointed!)
(Hi Frisky, thanks for your reply.)
3. The zoom of the flash only up to 105mm. (The camera full zoom extend to 380mm)
(Heard that most flash are like this)

Hope it helps.

P.S. Somehow, with the big guide number of the flash, I manage partly to overcome the focusing problem under low light condition, by setting the F-number to F8, and switch to manual focus with focusing distance pre-set to about 2m. Most shots turn out acceptably in-focus. :)

Cheers.
Raymond

Raymondb said:

how much did you buy the flash and the adapter for?
flash how much? adapter how much? from who?

thanks

Hi.
I bought the flash for $300++, adapter for $100++, can't recall the exact amount.
Bought it from Alan photo.

Cheers.
Raymond

apologies to Raymondb for the OT here... :embrass:

got a question to ask C750 users...:)
do you guys encounter problem when trying to focus on subject thats about 5 meters away at full zoom??

Im not sure whether this is feasible for the C750 camera but mine seems can't do it...!
was trying to bring the subject nearer to fill the frame but cannot... :cry: :cry: it just can't seems to focus right...

anyone tried this before??
can share your experience?

thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.