C-41 process B&W film?


Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

New Member
Jul 6, 2002
1,056
0
0
Zimbabwe
Visit site
#1
Got a very newbie question to ask... I just bought a Kodak t400-CN b&w film that is supposed to be processed in C-41 chemicals. So what is the difference if I use a color film and then print it in b&w as opposed to getting the kodak t400-CN and printing black and white on essentially colour paper too??? Thanks!
 

Gunjack

New Member
Jul 6, 2002
1,056
0
0
Zimbabwe
Visit site
#3
thanks for your reply, but I am still a little confused... What specifically is "the feel"??? How will the final print be different?
 

#4
Originally posted by Gunjack
thanks for your reply, but I am still a little confused... What specifically is "the feel"??? How will the final print be different?
B&W film responds very differently from colour film. Specifically, it's not sensitive to some colours as others. The grain structure is also different. Real B&W film and even C-41 B&W (Chromogenic film) has a very special "look" to it that's hard to replicate by printing colour neg onto B&W paper or using PhotoShop to do the conversion. Colour Film printed onto B&W paper also has less contrast than B&W film printed on the same paper.

Regards
CK
 

Gunjack

New Member
Jul 6, 2002
1,056
0
0
Zimbabwe
Visit site
#5
Ok, thanks for your explaination! Now I know. Last question. So if I were to develope the kodak T400-CN, which photo lab do u recommend and how do they charge? Thanks!
 

#6
Originally posted by Gunjack
Ok, thanks for your explaination! Now I know. Last question. So if I were to develope the kodak T400-CN, which photo lab do u recommend and how do they charge? Thanks!
I only go to one: Colour Lab Photo Finishing @ Adelphi. Charges are the same as normal colour prints I think. $0.40 per 4R, $3.50 processing fee.

Regards
CK
 

roti

New Member
Sep 24, 2002
659
0
0
Sgp/China/TW
Visit site
#7
mmm.....how much difference is that between T-400CN and Tmax 400 ? i had a roll in my workplace which kodak give me and have yet to try it out......P.S i using 120 film now.....
 

#8
Originally posted by roti
mmm.....how much difference is that between T-400CN and Tmax 400 ? i had a roll in my workplace which kodak give me and have yet to try it out......P.S i using 120 film now.....
T400CN is a chromogenic B&W film (C-41 process).
TMAX 400 is traditional B&W film.

TMAX has higher contrast than T400CN.

Regards
CK
 

roti

New Member
Sep 24, 2002
659
0
0
Sgp/China/TW
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by ckiang


T400CN is a chromogenic B&W film (C-41 process).
TMAX 400 is traditional B&W film.

TMAX has higher contrast than T400CN.

Regards
CK
thanks man...........i think i will try it out myself and tell u ppl abt the difference........
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#10
Originally posted by roti
mmm.....how much difference is that between T-400CN and Tmax 400 ? i had a roll in my workplace which kodak give me and have yet to try it out......P.S i using 120 film now.....
Only one roll? What workplace do you work in?

Kodak give me at least a brick to play with most of the time.
 

roti

New Member
Sep 24, 2002
659
0
0
Sgp/China/TW
Visit site
#14
Originally posted by Ian


Only one roll? What workplace do you work in?

Kodak give me at least a brick to play with most of the time.
mmm.....there is only one roll left when i saw it maybe some jokers got it.
 

Apr 10, 2002
550
0
0
photos.yahoo.com
#15
wow I didn't know you can print colour neg on BW paper? Do most labs offer this? As in issit just a matter of changing some settings on the machine or something? Or is it achievable only thru more complex means whereby only a few labs are capable/willing of doing?

Gunjack: as for 400CN, when you bring it for developing, you'll be given 2 choices: 1. to dev using C41 process (like normal colour neg) or 2. dev as BW (like normal BW)
the diff is with 1. you cannot get strict BW colours but sepia toned. and with 2. you get normal BW pics like if you had used normal nonC41 films like tmax. so bottom line is, unless you want sepia toned, might as well just buy non C41 films like tmax. just my 2 rupee worth!
 

Gunjack

New Member
Jul 6, 2002
1,056
0
0
Zimbabwe
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by hoppinghippo

Gunjack: as for 400CN, when you bring it for developing, you'll be given 2 choices: 1. to dev using C41 process (like normal colour neg) or 2. dev as BW (like normal BW)
the diff is with 1. you cannot get strict BW colours but sepia toned. and with 2. you get normal BW pics like if you had used normal nonC41 films like tmax. so bottom line is, unless you want sepia toned, might as well just buy non C41 films like tmax. just my 2 rupee worth!
Isn't chromagenic flims like T400CN/XP2 supposed to be developed only in C-41 process? The differenece is that it can be printed on colour paper and real black and white paper isn't it? If I remember correctly, the best results for this type of films is to develope it in C-41 process and then print in Black and white paper, which is better but more expensive than printing on colour paper. Colour paper gives the resultant sepia tone, but some of the good photo labs can print it out close to true black and white.

I would love to try out real black and white film but I dunno which lab process them and I think it is quite expensive to develope and print, at least for a newbie like me! :)
 

#17
Originally posted by Gunjack


Isn't chromagenic flims like T400CN/XP2 supposed to be developed only in C-41 process? The differenece is that it can be printed on colour paper and real black and white paper isn't it? If I remember correctly, the best results for this type of films is to develope it in C-41 process and then print in Black and white paper, which is better but more expensive than printing on colour paper. Colour paper gives the resultant sepia tone, but some of the good photo labs can print it out close to true black and white.

I would love to try out real black and white film but I dunno which lab process them and I think it is quite expensive to develope and print, at least for a newbie like me! :)
You're right. Chromogenic films like XP2 Super/T400CN are developed in C41. Printing can be done on traditional B&W paper or colour paper. A good digital lab can output these films to normal colour paper without any sepia casts. :)

Regards
CK
 

Apr 10, 2002
550
0
0
photos.yahoo.com
#18
Oh is it??? Didn't know! cuz I brought the film to the lab (when I first tried CN400) and the lady told me want colour (sepia) or BW only and that C41 means can use colour machine to process and print, so infered from that!

"professional lab" and "digital lab" sounds expensive! :D But sounds interesting to try!
 

#19
Originally posted by hoppinghippo
Oh is it??? Didn't know! cuz I brought the film to the lab (when I first tried CN400) and the lady told me want colour (sepia) or BW only and that C41 means can use colour machine to process and print, so infered from that!

"professional lab" and "digital lab" sounds expensive! :D But sounds interesting to try!
Most of the labs which print digital are now using digital minilabs. Combined with a good operator, you should be able to get good prints from chromogenic films.

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom