bye bye clubsnap, i am flying over to denmark and work as a cleaner.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
560681_10150827494149141_533614140_9852731_1748573582_n.jpg

The absolute number gives the impression of a huge gap, but the true story lies in purchasing power. Don't get me wrong, the gap is still there, but my point is that we shouldn't just look at absolute values.

Taking those numbers at face value, and making reference to current US-SGD exchange rates as well as the notorious Big Mac Index (Daily chart: The Big Mac index | The Economist) just to illustrate what I mean, a cleaner in Singapore can buy 800/(1.27*3.75) = 168 Big Macs. Compared to the cleaner in Denmark who can buy 5502/(1.27*5.37)= 807 Big Macs. Of course no one just buys Big Macs, it just happens to be a convenient example.

So for those who wish to fly over, if Big Macs is all you wish to eat and you plan to sleep on the streets and walk around only with the clothes on your back, 807*1.27*3.75 = $3,843 should be the tipping point for you. Of course there are many other things you should keep in mind. ;)

You will be surprise the people there don't even want to work even with that kind of pay. They rather stay home, do nothing and get paid with taxpayers money. Look at all the troubles in Europe now and you will know....

Does the amount includes the tax you have to pay ??

Anyway... for anyone interested.... feel free to go and try your luck in Denmark. Don't worry... plenty of 'replacement' can take your place. :sweat:

Does the amount includes the tax you have to pay ??

Anyway... for anyone interested.... feel free to go and try your luck in Denmark. Don't worry... plenty of 'replacement' can take your place. :sweat:

nah, can get gun easily there. ;) form my own ocean elven or twelve, or thirteen

The absolute number gives the impression of a huge gap, but the true story lies in purchasing power. Don't get me wrong, the gap is still there, but my point is that we shouldn't just look at absolute values.

Taking those numbers at face value, and making reference to current US-SGD exchange rates as well as the notorious Big Mac Index (Daily chart: The Big Mac index | The Economist) just to illustrate what I mean, a cleaner in Singapore can buy 800/(1.27*3.75) = 168 Big Macs. Compared to the cleaner in Denmark who can buy 5502/(1.27*5.37)= 807 Big Macs. Of course no one just buys Big Macs, it just happens to be a convenient example.

So for those who wish to fly over, if Big Macs is all you wish to eat and you plan to sleep on the streets and walk around only with the clothes on your back, 807*1.27*3.75 = $3,843 should be the tipping point for you. Of course there are many other things you should keep in mind. ;)
so it means they are actually earning more right?

hmm. time to pack my stuff and move over

Sorry to burst the bubble but cost of living in Denmark is too darn high. Mineral water 500 ml bottle costs around sgd 8. A normal meal of 1 fish soup costs me sgd 40. Taxi rides cost average sgd 100 for around 30 km or so (half hour journey). So probably the high pay even for a cleaner justifies the high costs living.

Sorry to burst the bubble but cost of living in Denmark is too darn high. Mineral water 500 ml bottle costs around sgd 8. A normal meal of 1 fish soup costs me sgd 40. Taxi rides cost average sgd 100 for around 30 km or so (half hour journey). So probably the high pay even for a cleaner justifies the high costs living.

maybe try their wan tan soup lor.

nah, can get gun easily there. ;) form my own ocean elven or twelve, or thirteen

US easier... its a RIGHT some more.... :bsmilie:

Now back to topic.... before anyone here suggest rising the pay of our cleaners to Denmark's level... please ask yourself this question, are you will to pay for their service ?? Because if our Cleaners or Bus/MRT Drivers are so well paid... what do you think your cleaning bills or bus/mrt rides will cost you ?? Don't forget, Govt highly unlikely to pay on your behalf... :)

They pay themselves first, if got balance then subsidise a bit

ninelives said:
maybe try their wan tan soup lor.

Lol.. Never tot of trying wanton soup when I was there..probably may have cost me sgd 30

Blackgoddess said:

The last I visited Norway & Iceland, we had the opportunity to stay in guesthouses and actually most cook their own meals largely due to tradition n in part from the high costs of eating out.

A lot of restaurants were closed in off tourist seasons, n we as tourists saved quite abit buying groceries n cooking as well

There are of course other taxation to consider, but yes you still own much cheap BMWs Audis Mercedes-Benz, and our SG HDB flat will get u more land there.

Ryan

This article does remind me of something....

Few years back... I was on a Scuba Diving trip in the Philippines. Its was a long 3.5hr drive from the airport to the Jetty/Pier... was chit chatting with our Filipino driver and he began to ask how much I earn a month... so I told him, take home slightly less than $2K... which is about 66000 Peso. He believe that I must be a rich man earning alot. Telling me the average factory worker in Philippines earns around 7000-10000 Peso only.

Since the reader here are from S'pore.... tell me, is the take home pay of less than $2000 alot here ?? :sweat:

I'm not poor... be either am I really mid-income. But my Filipino driver couldn't understand my protest that I'm not 'rich' :bsmilie:

Much like what we see now, Cleaner is paid over $5k in Denmark... did the report said anything about the percentage of Taxes one has to pay ?? Cost of rental ?? Cost of food, clothing, medicine ?? Till we know the standard of living in Denmark... kind of hard to said even $5k a month is enough over there... unless you are ok living in conditions like our FW does.... 20-30 person living in a 3 room flat size unit. :think:

Go Denmark work, then import food from SEA, cook at home, and save all the money. Find a lodging near workplace to save on transport too :) Endure 3 years, come back, throw all money into downpayment for housing... Back to square one again

allenleonhart said:
so it means they are actually earning more right?

hmm. time to pack my stuff and move over

Hahaha... That comparison doesn't take taxes into account. Besides, even if you take that as after taxes, and look at the Gini coefficient and per capita income (inequality and almost par respectively) I'm sure you can make your own deductions.

Crime scene, hazardous material (hazmat) and high-rise window cleaner can easily earn that amount in Singapore.

They are deserving of it though due to the amount of risk involve.

You guys are missing the point. One generation in Denmark to slug it out and build house and the generations after can still taste the fruit. But not so for our HDB. I will have no savings at all after plonking down $ for a stupid flat which i can t even pass down to my children.

You cant work hard to accumulate wealth here. You can only ride on ither people's hard work to accumulate wealth.

You guys are missing the point. One generation in Denmark to slug it out and build house and the generations after can still taste the fruit. But not so for our HDB. I will have no savings at all after plonking down $ for a stupid flat which i can t even pass down to my children.

You cant work hard to accumulate wealth here. You can only ride on ither people's hard work to accumulate wealth.

Err... I think you also miss the point.

We are saying that you might be paid XXXX amount more in country A than in country B... but doesn't mean having XXXX amount is enough, living as if like a rich man/woman in country A.

No where have we talk about could HDB flats or Housing... :bsmilie:

Or you could try being like our local FW... work aboard and live in bad condition for 3-5 years... return with $$$..

Last edited: