By the sea in mono

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Still need alot of help and practise in terms of composition and capturing *the* moment... Tks for taking a look!

17Jun06PunggolBeach-10.jpg

the colour seems rather dull.. and note tt the black dress has 'merged' with the rocks in the bkgrd. but still, i get the feel tt u're trying to put across. ;)

wow.. i was afraid the girl might juz turn around and look at me with bloodshot eyes. :bigeyes:

i cannot feel the Contrast that a Mono should give ..

- the emotional aspect gave a lonely or depressive feeling ..

somehow the angle itself and the subject is out of place .. or rather blended into the backgroud -- the idea was Good .. the sea breeze , the wide sea view and the rock .. in color of cos .. but in Mono .. you got to have that CONTRAST .. The Play of Light the controller of shadow .. the photo saw lack of control ..

Black and White .. is like playing God -- a good Mono Photographer is like someone who control the light and darkness within .. showing his ability to manipulate the simplest form .
thus giving him the glory to show his power .

osix uvlux

I'm having a lot of problem trying to gather my thoughts on this photo (have been looking at it for at least 5 or 6 times). My initial thoughts were to trash this picture completely, for it's an antithesis to what a good black-and-white ought to be, with the lack of contrast as pointed out on more than one occasion here. However, while the picture isn't technically passable, it brings out the whole mood of depression or even loneliness much better than a lot of other pictures in this forum.

If you really need to improve on this picture, try using PS to dodge the lighter parts of the frame (i.e. the top right hand corner). It won't help much, but it would define the light direction (which is already present) more. Try to work on resolving the ambiguiety that's currently present between the sand and the sea as well. It is very irritating not knowing where the sea starts and the sand end.

The other way to improve on this, is to shoot a whole series of photographs using the same kind of treatment, without much contrast. As long as the pictures are consistent, the series, regardless of technicality, will stand out based solely on the mood being portrayed. Don't do this though, if your ultimate aim is to become skilled in taking black and white photographs.

Tks for the generous amount of advice uvlux and the_cheat :) I will take them and try to improve on my future shots and attempts.

I am actually quite new to this all, and have yet to learn some important photoshop techniques like dodge and burn (still reading and digesting the june issue of Digital Photo).

This pic was actually converted into mono to save it... because I totally ruined it in its colour form. :sweat: But I guess I didn't do a good job of saving either.

Tks all! Will post again soon with hopefully an improved photo.

0 out of 100. Go figure where you went wrong and repost the photo.

Dear learning New ..

One serious advice .. on Photoshop or photography ..

Is like.. Cooking which i love to compare ... You have all the Spice , enchancer . and display ..

BUT the FOOD got to be fresh ...

IF you going to use .. Rotten or UN_FRESH FOOD .. no matter how much you try with all the SPICE and all the ENCAHCNER , be it is serve on a DISH of DIAMOND .. is not going tomake the food taste better ...

when apply here ..DOn't worry so much about photoshop or how it can make your shot better ..
Compose .. and imagine you shot in your mind ..
HUMAN BRAIN is a very powerful processor itsel f.. you can process alotof the VISUAL data itself .. even before we shot it ..
ONE good way IS yout tell Youself .. this is yOUR LAST SHOT .. on your camera .. THINK TWICE before SHot .. if you are not sure .. SKIP ... as a photographer ... you should train youself to be selective on what yougoing to shot .. and be really really " NOT TRIGGER HAPPY "

so .. start to take shot then go photoshop ....

Photoshop is a Touch up like some Green on a lovely beef steak .. -- but the BEEF is the leading actor --- not the GREEN you putting on ..

In my days flim is not cheap .. no such thing as digital .. so .. every shot is clicking money away .. not to say you got to send it got DP later more money .. and when you buy flim like
$20 a roll .. you would really try to think twice or more before you click away ..

DIGITAL and Cheao FLIM make Lazy photographer who think less.. flex your brain .. compose your next shot .. ---

Ps.. I agree some viewer have very strong words and comment .. take it as advice ..
is really easier said then done ... i myself learn it the hard way .. which is like you ..
so i am saying so . just to share what i had walk .. but in no way trying to tell you what must be done ..

don;t give .up .. you don't need to proof to any one here .. just follow what you love and make it felt by others

Osix uvlux

Uvlux said:
Dear learning New ..

One serious advice .. on Photoshop or photography ..

Is like.. Cooking which i love to compare ... You have all the Spice , enchancer . and display ..

BUT the FOOD got to be fresh ...

IF you going to use .. Rotten or UN_FRESH FOOD .. no matter how much you try with all the SPICE and all the ENCAHCNER , be it is serve on a DISH of DIAMOND .. is not going tomake the food taste better ...

when apply here ..DOn't worry so much about photoshop or how it can make your shot better ..
Compose .. and imagine you shot in your mind ..
HUMAN BRAIN is a very powerful processor itsel f.. you can process alotof the VISUAL data itself .. even before we shot it ..
ONE good way IS yout tell Youself .. this is yOUR LAST SHOT .. on your camera .. THINK TWICE before SHot .. if you are not sure .. SKIP ... as a photographer ... you should train youself to be selective on what yougoing to shot .. and be really really " NOT TRIGGER HAPPY "

so .. start to take shot then go photoshop ....

Photoshop is a Touch up like some Green on a lovely beef steak .. -- but the BEEF is the leading actor --- not the GREEN you putting on ..

Pre-visualisation is a good process. Don't get too discouraged though when the final image don't turn out to be what you pre-visualised. That occurs for even the best of the best. Analogous to your own voice, the sound that you hear coming out from your mouth will definitely differ to how it actually sound like to others. Similarly, in photography, images that look exactly how you thought it should, straight from the camera, are rare. Use the post-processing tools available to help you fulfill that image in your mind.

Most of the still-life images out there, which were supposed to reflect the "reality" would inevitably be a result of some final touch-up and alteration before it's printed.

Anyway, I concur with what UVlux said: fresh food would be much better with seasoning, as compared to rotten food with a lot of seasoning. As for trigger-happy or not, it really depends on the situation, the limitations, the state of mind, the attitude, the dilligence etc. of the person.

Yatlapball said:
Let me try again with some of your valuable advice...

(don't shoot me for the noise pls)

BytheseainMono-C.jpg

Hmm... why is there a patch of red on a black and white image? What did you use to convert your image into black and white anyway? By the way, did you add noise to the picture?

Hmmm? Ok, my eye isn't sharp enough, because I can't see the red patch that you're referring to.

Using CS2. Like I've mentioned earlier, the original pic wasn't a very good one to begin with. (like what uvlux have said, it was a lousy basic ingredient). I tried to remedy the lack of contrast by first pulling up the exposure slightly, I think the noise got introduced at that point.

Converted to B&W subsequently using the Channel Mixer. R-30%, G-50%, B-20%.

Dodged the subject's skin areas and the sea. Burned the sand areas.

I once played a Game with my younger sister ..
we try to come out with the worst possible combo on food ..

eg ..Durain with Pi Tan ( black fermented egg )
Or ..Tomyam with Cheese

is a funny game .. and the imagination of after taste is really funny - made us laugh alot ..

ok ..photography is the same .. tune your feeling .. slowly it take some time and to some it take more time .. first don't go extra effort to compose .. go on feeling first ..

then from what you had taken .. lear your mistake ..

is it a wrong blending of subest and object ..

like too much sugar , too little salt .. too much lime juice .. -- like cooking..

the fine tuning of what you add give you whole lot of diffrent result ..

too sweet spoil the after taste .. too little spoil the initial taste ..

be a chef in your art

osix uvlux

hm.....
I hope i am doing the correct way if i comment on others who try to help you on the photo ,.

but here what i felt .. dose not meant is the right way or wrong way .. is just simple how i felt ..

ok

First Photobum version of your work ..

Hm....lack contrast , look like another newpaper copy print . usually happen when you have alousy ink copy machine during the 1980s ...abit too Grainy .. look like something is burn ..
like i alway compare to cooking .. this felt like overcook ..

second Yatlapball version ..
i kinda felt is imporve -- but i see some colro in it .. which make it a two three tone photo instead of a mono ..is intresting -- the contrast is there but yet cos of the raw shot is not taken well . is relaly tricky to imporve much .. good effort ..

sometime .. in a war - you don't need to win .. just need to come to a agreement which both party felt that there don't lose ..

osix uvlux

Introducing a softer, printed one grade lower, version

BytheseainMono-edited-soft.jpg

Yatlapball said:
Oh dear. I need to be more careful with that when converting pics into mono.

Care? You using Channel Mixer in PS? If so, not much need for care. You adjust as much as you want, do as many trials and make as many errors. No need for care - can make as many mistakes as you want, only dont post your mistake, right?

And of course the empty/negative space on right dont work at all? The model is lookng down and away ... the space begs a big question.

Status
Not open for further replies.