BW shooting Question

tomboy87

Oct 12, 2010
Hi all,

May I know what's the difference between shooting in BW mode straight from the camera against using a BW filter to shoot instead ?

THanks!

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Hi all,

May I know what's the difference between shooting in BW mode straight from the camera against using a BW filter to shoot instead ?

THanks!
There is no "BW filter". There's "B+W" which is a BRAND NAME for high-end filters.

So the difference is... When shooting in BW mode straight from camera, you will get a black and white picture. When using a B+W filter, you will get the effect of the filter (polarizing, ND, GND, etc) unless it's a UV filter in which case you get no effect.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
When shooting Black / White straight from cam the image conversion is done in the cam according the limited options cameras offer. Once it's Black and White there's no way back and your post-processing options are limited as well.
Better shoot RAW and use the software that came with your camera.

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
shooting b&w starlight from camera, if you want a color version of the images later on is pretty a gone case.

doing conversion at the post you will have more control and than using convention b/w contrast filters.

and the b/w contrast filter is original design to use of b&w film, you need to understand what subjects you are dealing with before you decide which filter to use, there is not really a filter can fit for all type of situations.

tomboy87

Oct 12, 2010
Understood now ... thanks !!

TWmilkteaTW

May 30, 2011
Hmm..Shoot RAW or normal Jpg with color. You can always convert to B&W with software if not covert back to color again.Its better and safer IMHO.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
if I'm intending a day's images to be eventually converted into black and white I'll use a selection of various color filters to enhance certain zones within the grayscale
but be mindful that the 'color' output is going to be sporting a color cast unprocessed

otherwise a CPL will help heaps too

ok OT

Top Bottom