BW MRC Polarizer + MRC UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pHoenix

Sep 20, 2006
west
Hi all! Sorry that I'm quite new to this .. I have a 58mm B+W MRC Cir-Pol and a B+W MRC UV mounted on my 18-55mm kit lens.

May I know if this set up does not affect the image quality or is it redundant to have the UV filter on?

not sure if i'm doing it wrong, but it seems that i am experiencing some reflected artifacts (eg. light bulbs or lighted windows in buildings) where no filter seems to be better off! :(

thanks!

the more pieces of filter in front of your lens, the more chance of reflections between the filters and the lens which can result in more flare...also possible ghosting of images resulting from reflections...

as well, the more filters you stack to the front of the lens, the greater is the possibility that at wide angles of the zoom range you would get what is known as vignetting, or a darkening of the edges especially at the corners...this is as less light is entering from the sides of the lens front as compared to the centre, resulting in lens shading near the edge...

with digital photography, usually a UV filter is not really necessary for absorbing unwanted UV light cause current CCDs and CMOS chips not really sensitive to UV...it is good to have a UV or clear filter on for protecting the lens front from scratches but if you have a polarizing filter on which can protect the front of the lens then not much point in having a UV filter over that :)

Hihi! Thanks for the reply!

the more pieces of filter in front of your lens, the more chance of reflections between the filters and the lens which can result in more flare...also possible ghosting of images resulting from reflections...
You are right, I tried last night and even though it's 2 MCR B+W filters, there -is- reflected articles.... so much for trying to be lazy i guess. :p

as well, the more filters you stack to the front of the lens, the greater is the possibility that at wide angles of the zoom range you would get what is known as vignetting, or a darkening of the edges especially at the corners...this is as less light is entering from the sides of the lens front as compared to the centre, resulting in lens shading near the edge...

i guess that vignetting effect is only applicable to the 1mm-20mm lens range? It should be ok if i used these filters on a > 60mm lens?

with digital photography, usually a UV filter is not really necessary for absorbing unwanted UV light cause current CCDs and CMOS chips not really sensitive to UV...it is good to have a UV or clear filter on for protecting the lens front from scratches but if you have a polarizing filter on which can protect the front of the lens then not much point in having a UV filter over that :)

i guess I initially intended to have the UV filter on first is to actually protect the lens threads more than from UV... afterall, at this point in time, i don't think i would use the cir-pol filter for all my shots :bsmilie:

but am i right to say even a cheap UV filter does removes some of the purple tints from the sky ? :dunno:

vignetting depends on each lens design and not just on the focal length...some lenses by their design seem to be more affected by vignetting than others...but it is usually safe to say that a wider lens would have more vignetting than a longer one...also reducing the aperture size will also reduce the amount of vignetting you see...

er...I don't think UV filters reduce purple tint from the sky...I believe they are designed to reduce the bluish tint that you might see in the distant background in film images caused by film sensitivity to UV light scattered by dust...

More filters mean more chances of reflection and flaring. You can try to use a lens hood but to really get better image quality, just use one filter at a time (either the circ polarizing filter or the UV filter.

Hi! Thanks for the reply!
vignetting depends on each lens design and not just on the focal length...some lenses by their design seem to be more affected by vignetting than others...but it is usually safe to say that a wider lens would have more vignetting than a longer one...also reducing the aperture size will also reduce the amount of vignetting you see...
so am i right to say, regardless of whatever brand of filters you use (in this case, all B+W filters), vignetting -will- occur at widest aperture if its 2 or more filters connected?

er...I don't think UV filters reduce purple tint from the sky...I believe they are designed to reduce the bluish tint that you might see in the distant background in film images caused by film sensitivity to UV light scattered by dust...

sorry... i guess i describe it as purple (on the filter box) since it looks purple to me than blue :p (jia lat, colour blind) in any case, does that also mean that with our current cmos/ccd, it should be not affected by the UV purple tint (cmos 'blind' to it?) ?

More filters mean more chances of reflection and flaring. You can try to use a lens hood but to really get better image quality, just use one filter at a time (either the circ polarizing filter or the UV filter.

i'm not sure how reflection and flaring affects the filters, as i was told that the filters are actually 'something' coated thus reducing (?) flares and reflection?

i like to know what is the purpose of the lens hood.... it seems more like a 'look cool' add on accessory =X :dunno:

i'm not sure how reflection and flaring affects the filters, as i was told that the filters are actually 'something' coated thus reducing (?) flares and reflection?

i like to know what is the purpose of the lens hood.... it seems more like a 'look cool' add on accessory =X :dunno:

Main purpose of UV filters are to protect your lens from mishandlings and less prominantly, to block out UV rays.

Lens hood on the other hand helps to prevent flares should you shoot close to a strong light source like the sun, etc.

the lens hood prevents light from coming from a direction that on the one hand does not contribute to the image creation while on the other hand might be causing flare and reflections in the lens...

coatings on the filter can only reduce the chance of flares and reflections, not eliminate the possibility entirely...

another factor on chance of vignetting is the thickness of the filter...some filters are thicker than others... :)

Keke, the problem is, the B+W MHC Cir-Pol is MORE EXPENSIVE THEN THE KIT LENS loor.
For me, I put filter infront of the polarise to PROTECT THE POLARIZER!!! :sweatsm: :sticktong

Keke, the problem is, the B+W MHC Cir-Pol is MORE EXPENSIVE THEN THE KIT LENS loor.
For me, I put filter infront of the polarise to PROTECT THE POLARIZER!!! :sweatsm: :sticktong

Then you should also put a filter in front of the filter that protects your CPL :sweatsm:

Main purpose of UV filters are to protect your lens from mishandlings and less prominantly, to block out UV rays.

Lens hood on the other hand helps to prevent flares should you shoot close to a strong light source like the sun, etc.
Uhhh...., I think main purpose of UV filter is to cut UV light. But, because it is neutral in color and does an insignificant discoloring, it is used by many to replace NC filter as a protection filter.

BTW, in digital, the sensor (or overal photo quality) is affected badly by InfraRed light and not by UltraViolet light.

Regards,
Arto.

no need to only use with kit lens...can still use with the 50mm what if TS purchase that lens...:D

Hi!
Thanks for the replies friends :)

At least I know now that I don't need additional filters over CIR-POLs..... (imagine 2 x B+W filters broken in a single drop.... best to cut losses...:sweat: )

Status
Not open for further replies.