Buying used car from a dealer - help needed!

big_lan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

I recenty made a down payment for a car from used car dealership and i'm gonna collect it next week.

could anyone advise as to what i'd need to look out for and what to collect when I get the car?

I got fleeced by paying an "agreement fee" already so I was hoping to do some homework before i step into a trap again!

Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

I recenty made a down payment for a car from used car dealership and i'm gonna collect it next week.

could anyone advise as to what i'd need to look out for and what to collect when I get the car?

I got fleeced by paying an "agreement fee" already so I was hoping to do some homework before i step into a trap again!

admin fee you mean?

You already made a down payment, so what else is there to look out for??

Check the air filters, brakes and battery. Normally they won't change for you.

Some owners also tend to change the coil(octopus) to a lousy alternative if the old one needs changing and they know they're about to sell the car.

Spark plugs etc need to change.. You also can bring it in for inspection if it's been in an accident before and they're not telling you. Go to Vicom I guess?

What did you get bro? And what's the damage? :bsmilie:

a stand alone admin/agreement fee ??? I've gone through 8 used cars over the last 20+ years and never came across this charge.... at most I give them a post dated cheque as deposit first .... BUT I have always used the 'smaller' dealers ...... the larger ones that do parallel import and larger outfits might have this.... i dont know.

ALL these things that you want to change or fixed in the used car should have been agreed on first BEFORE you hand over any money .... or at least factored into your buying price if you going to do it yourself with your own preferred parts/workshop

A few kiasu friends send the car in for an survey/inspection first before committing

what are the specs of your car (model , year, COE PARF etc etc) and what price u agreed ?

which dealership is this ? care to share the name ? it might be a reputable one after all

good luck

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

Some used car companies sales agent would simply just forget to inform you all those "necessary processing fee" thus you are bound and committed. Once you done on the agreement, then they say you need to top tis and tat.. Evil them..

U already pay downpayment, so it is too late ......
They should not ask you to pay anything extra.
Everything must be black and white in the company
Letterhead .... Else the dealer himself take it lor ...
Remember if loan failed to get through, they must return your deposit full because not your fault.
Pray hard that the car is in good sharp lor ...
Send for full servicing for safety reason.

Getting used car sometime is quite tricky affair, chance to get slaughter is quite big especially if buyers never don't of their home work. Similar like walking to SL camera shops and get chop, but at least buyer get new lens/camera.
Generally rule of thumb is to send the car to Vicom/STA for inspection before signing dotted line. One thing for sure having lemon (problematic) car in Singapore it may kill your wallet faster than anything else.

There was once i "willingly" paid extra after the agreed price cos i wanted the car too much then, the Opel Vectra.