Buying stuffs in Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Ong

Apr 15, 2004
Dear CSers,

I realise the price offered in Ebay is really cheap after converting back to Sing dollars.

Example: Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 = US$ 34.00 (Brand New)

If i were to buy it, i wonder whether there are any hidden costs that rises up the price to unbelievable rates.

Anybody bought anything in Ebay before? Care to share your experience?

BAsically.. if you are buying in US dollars, the thing to watch out for is the postage ..which may cost a bit... other than that ..there shouldnt be too many problems buying off ebay ...

only once. got a fed-5 from a guy based in ukraine. went smoothly.
don't forget to factor in shipping and handling. can be very significant. and shipping insurance too if you want to be careful. not to mention that you need to make sure the seller is reliable (check the ratings) and ask all the questions before you bid (eg, conditions, optics, etc). the main problem with e-bay is that it is rather unpredictable since you don't actually see the item before you bid.
anyway, for something that is quite common like the 50mm f1.8, i'd rather get locally for peace of mind. but that's only my opinion. the price certainly seems very good, doesn't it.

peterbui said:
BAsically.. if you are buying in US dollars, the thing to watch out for is the postage ..which may cost a bit... other than that ..there shouldnt be too many problems buying off ebay ...

How much is the postage from US to Singapore? How expensive? :dunno:

Not all sellers on ebay ship overseas. Best to read their terms carefully before deciding to bid. When in doubt, ask the seller questions about the item, shipping method etc... Some will give you an estimate of shipping costs. Then prepare for the Singapore tax man to levy a 5% GST on your item if they manage to screen it.

Bernard Ong said:
How much is the postage from US to Singapore? How expensive? :dunno:

ask once on Canon 24-85mm lens, he quote me US$40 for s/h...
the total cost is almost around the price that I can give on local as 2nd hand item...

in the end, buy local. at least I can see be4 I buy.

Once, my hubby brought a phone card un-cut sheet from a US guy and during the shippment. The un-cut sheet got damage. Tell the guy and he sent over the claim form for him to fill.

US customer claim forms.... around 4-5 forms to fill, some unknown term for us.
In the term, he give up....

buy from ebay .. some time have to depend on luck

do look at their ratings too..for reliability.. :D

scams are prone to happen..... and the probabilty of being scammed is erm.. i duno...

Status
Not open for further replies.