Buying something out of my league! :)

iceman77

May 29, 2010
Braddell
Hi guys

I bought a D300S some time ago, and instead of using the kit lens, i bought a Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens. Yes, impulse buy! hahaha

However, i find it:

• a tad too heavy (i mean the lens), resulting in me not using the camera much
  • most of the pictures i take are of moving and impromptu shots (of my nephews)

It might be my lousy photography skills (i always use "P" mode), but a couple of my friends say i am using a lens which is not suitable for my preferred types of shots. My photos always end up fuzzy and out-of-focus. My wife even said i suck big-time, and ask me to take using point-and-shoot cameras instead. :bsmilie: I have to agree with her.

So, advise from you folks:

1) Should i just sell the camera and lenses?
OR
2) Change the lens to something more suitable for my type of shots? Weight is a huge factor, since i am always running after my nephews.

Appreciate your advise, before i do something stupid yet again (like buying another one on impulse).

Thanks all!

sounds like you are very well aware of the situation.

Changing to other lens or body may not help as its always the focusing that you are grappling with.

If you go with pro-sumer models, you may get clearer shots as the angles are usually wider (hence sharper) and the aperture smaller.

sounds like you are very well aware of the situation.

Changing to other lens or body may not help as its always the focusing that you are grappling with.

If you go with pro-sumer models, you may get clearer shots as the angles are usually wider (hence sharper) and the aperture smaller.

Thanks JacePhoto.

So do you mean i should just dump my current set-up and go with a pro-sumer model? Appreciate your advise.

go attend basic photography course or read up more photography books.

Hi guys

I bought a D300S some time ago, and instead of using the kit lens, i bought a Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens. Yes, impulse buy! hahaha

However, i find it:

• a tad too heavy (i mean the lens), resulting in me not using the camera much
  • most of the pictures i take are of moving and impromptu shots (of my nephews)

It might be my lousy photography skills (i always use "P" mode), but a couple of my friends say i am using a lens which is not suitable for my preferred types of shots. My photos always end up fuzzy and out-of-focus. My wife even said i suck big-time, and ask me to take using point-and-shoot cameras instead. :bsmilie: I have to agree with her.

OR
2) Change the lens to something more suitable for my type of shots? Weight is a huge factor, since i am always running after my nephews.

Appreciate your advise, before i do something stupid yet again (like buying another one on impulse).

Thanks all!

iceman77 said:
Hi guys

However, i find it:

[*]a tad too heavy (i mean the lens), resulting in me not using the camera much
[*]most of the pictures i take are of moving and impromptu shots (of my nephews)
[*]

OR

Thanks all!

good combo you got there my friend.....

once you learned the value and understanding of your equipment.... you will be one of the envied of the dx world!

3) Train yourself.

Btw Nikon 17-55 is one of the fastest lens ever, tracking your nephew is too darn easy especially with the combination of D300/D300s CF mode.

I think if you can't handle it, just sell it.

Blur Shadow said:
I think if you can't handle it, just sell it.

Before anyone misunderstand or misquote me, I simply mean that if you are quite decided that something is out of your league and you are not keen on pursuing it further, you can always give up / liquidate without any issues.

I use my 17-55 solely to photograph my bubbly niece. The AF is so fast and the IQ is darn good. I'm from the Canon camp but for sure the Nikon version should not disappoint too.

I think you can read up more on how to handle your gears. The D300s is a very capable camera for tracking moving subject, coupled with the 17-55, it is a very speedy combo for you to exploit.

Once you learn how to restrain this beastly setup, it will deliver great results, time after time.

Read a book or two on photography, see some instructional videos on Youtube.

A new camera won't solve your current problems.

It might be my lousy photography skills ... My wife even said i suck big-time.... :bsmilie: I have to agree with her.

I think you already realized the problem... So if your skill is the problem, how would a different camera solve your problem?

You need to learn how to use your camera. If you learnt to drive on Auto, you need to learn how to drive better, when you sudden buy a manual car. If you are good at riding a bicycle, doesn't mean you will be a great motorcycle rider the first time you touch a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Have u tried using one of the entry level dslr with "scene" modes? That might be a quick short cut to shooting certain specific scenes e.g. fast moving action subjects or portraits or fireworks. U prob can get away with it 90% of the time.

But since u mention u have been getting fuzzy shots, it seems like a focusing technique which u need to improve on yourself.

But in the long term if u want to pursue photography as a serious hobby, it's better to start learning the fundamentals.

What is wrong with the current photos? Just blurred image?

Do you need to shoot in low light?

I suggest u put to 3D tracking mode to try again.

You can also use aperture mode set to f4.0 if the place is not too dark.

Did you also half-press the button for focusing in the first place?

Check your iso, did it hit 3200? That must not be the case, since d300s cannot handle it well.

D7000 would be better for you, but you already bought d300s.

Btw if Nikon 17-55 is not for you, then I dunno what is.
Perhaps omd em5 with 12-35 f2.8 would be suitable

Last edited:
hmm if weight is really an issue. Yea...you might want to look into other systems such as P&S, Mirror-less and etc. Other than that. You have a fine camera and lens (for your intended usage) I dont see problem with it. However, you might want to read and understand more about how to use it and capture the photos you want. Hmm.. im very curious why you friends said that and at the same time im wondering.. whats suitable then?

Last edited:
I have D300 and 17-55, my favourite set up for DX body, both can do much better than you think, in fact, I shoot everything with this set up before I move up to FX.

anyway, shooting active kid, using flash is much easier.

A bowl of ice cream, a bar of chocolate, the latest cool toy and a promise of reward. Easier.

The combo needn't be out of your league, I would say give it another go, trying out the suggestions and advise given by fellow csers such as setting to AF-C, shooting them stationary and reading/viewing videos specifically on shooting kids, etc. I presume you selected burst mode when shooting them running/moving.

You mentioned fuzzy, if you are referring to motion blur, then shutter speed is the issue. Try S mode and start with a reasonably fast speed. Pop the flash if lighting is poor.

You mentioned running after your nephews, is your breathing heavy or normal when you stop to snap them? As you know,holding the camera still is important.

If the weight of your 17-55mm still cause your to gripe, perhaps renting, borrowing or buying a kit lens to try out? It's not expensive, as far as lens go.

All the best :)

Other's have done shots of similar situation using camera of older technology. D300s coupled with 17-55mm F2.8 lens combination is suited for photographing active children running about.

Look up websites talking about children photography or books about taking children photography for more information.

From my past shooting, your starting point to determine your setting would be Auto ISO ON, minimum shutter speed of 1/100 with AF-C focus setting.

Last edited:
The equipment should be enuf to capture a good pic of ur nephew even if he is running unless he has super power like FLASH.
1) Read up on basic photography, lazy to read?
2) Spend some time and search in youtube for tutorial, lazy to search?
3) Spend some $$ go for Basic Photography course, don wanna spend $$?
4) Go to the outing section of CS and register for a beginner outing and ask the ppl there for some help. Be sure to ask nicely and buy them some drinks to show ur appreciation for their time and effort. No time for outing?
5) buy a compact and sell ur equipment away. Non of the above?
Then i have no idea how to help liao

Last edited: