Buying photography products in Singapore is cheaper etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenyong

Deregistered
Nov 28, 2007
Lately many are buying photography products outside of SG because its cheaper etc...but not much.
I think buying in Singapore is cheaper than oveseas. Thay way, we also support Singapore, staff, etc.....safer. :)

If the GST goes up again(with excuses from Govt),i think the more people will go and buy overseas.We care for price and warranty.

Take groceries for example,it's cheaper to buy in JB compared to Singapore's markets.

I recently brought camera stuff oversea, it is 20-30% cheaper. To me is a lot as i brought stuff thousands of dollars. Some more it come with international warranty

As Singapore dollars is getting stronger, our local store is still controling price despite the cost of actual import goods when down.

Many can said i don't support local store, but did local store support local photographer????

Quote an example, a big reputable store locally which i always freq., they do give me reasonable price. But when come to things that they are the sole-distrubutor....they price it high. They still can joke to me say nett price and you have the choice not to buy.

btw, i will be fly off oversea a few hour time to bbb for camera stuff again.

Many can said i don't support local store, but did local store support local photographer????

I totally agree with this... All business are setup to earn money... else how to survive... we cannot expect them to "support" us... but at least be fair... for example, how can 2 shop be selling the same thing with a price difference of more than $50 for a CF 4GB card... thats just out to try and fleece u...

Especially for lense, some may try to jack up the price by more than 50% even... i ever had a shop in SLS quote me $1188 for a 50mm F2... which is ridiculous... the RRP is not even that high!

bottom line... its supply vs demand... if the prices continue going up... we'll see more mass orders happening... :bsmilie:

Now thats one reason we should love CS more isn't it:p

yup tend to by my stuff from US because it is significantly cheaper, even with shipping and gst factored in. Would love to support local businesses, but the reality is we're in the age of the global economy and local businesses need to keep up to remain competitive.

Erm... Perhaps I feel that local might be a little overpriced and when comes to the less popular brands and stuff like Pentax, it seems like overseas had bigger market as compared to local, thus the prices would be better :)

SG tends to be a lot more expensive than overseas :)

Cheap in sg meh?

TS, can help me find a cheap studio ringflash with compatible battery pack in sg? my budget less than 500, and i wan at least 800w... lol

Just back from HK, brought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 at HKD1950 and Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC at HKD900 without bargaining.

With the exchange of 1:5.5, do you think Sg is still cheap or HK is selling at a loss?

fyi, a lot of stores take chance to abuse the gst increases, an increase of raw 2% on say, a 1K lens (after gst pricing at 5%) will result in 19 dollar increase overall
given by 1000/1.05 x 1.07

same for chicken rice, 2.50 increase to 3.00 is rubbish
should be increase to 2.50/1.05 x 1.07 = 2.55
reasoning is because the gst incurred by reigstered companies for operating their business can be claimed back eventually from the government - at least the last time i checked mas website. that's why got all those gst fraud, etc

in the first place, prices overseas differ by more than that

i think it is more of the competitiveness, etc.. here where i am, the pricing is sick, but i still buy because some things to be found here (like lensbaby 2.0 for pentax mount) very hard to find in singapore.. about 20 sing dollar difference only anyways. :/

fyi, a lot of stores take chance to abuse the gst increases, an increase of raw 2% on say, a 1K lens (after gst pricing at 5%) will result in 19 dollar increase overall
given by 1000/1.05 x 1.07

same for chicken rice, 2.50 increase to 3.00 is rubbish
should be increase to 2.50/1.05 x 1.07 = 2.55
reasoning is because the gst incurred by reigstered companies for operating their business can be claimed back eventually from the government - at least the last time i checked mas website. that's why got all those gst fraud, etc

in the first place, prices overseas differ by more than that

i think it is more of the competitiveness, etc.. here where i am, the pricing is sick, but i still buy because some things to be found here (like lensbaby 2.0 for pentax mount) very hard to find in singapore.. about 20 sing dollar difference only anyways. :/

well, i think its more than that... not only gst force price increase, the recent fuel price surge also force things to go up, like import goods fuel surcharge go up, transport cost go up... etc... all tis adds to the 2.50 chicken rice to 3.00, besides that, how u gonna give change of .45 everytime a customer give 3 bucks, and if give 5 bucks even more work, might as well give a round number.

well, i think its more than that... not only gst force price increase, the recent fuel price surge also force things to go up, like import goods fuel surcharge go up, transport cost go up... etc... all tis adds to the 2.50 chicken rice to 3.00, besides that, how u gonna give change of .45 everytime a customer give 3 bucks, and if give 5 bucks even more work, might as well give a round number.

perhaps

or you could give slightly less rice. 5 cents is literally peanuts, you know what i mean.

or keep constant price and output and 5 cents less profit per plate.. nothing too wrong with that either. i wonder if chicken rice stalls can register for gst rebates though. i'm sure photography stores, at least the reliable ones that are always recommended in clubsnap can.

If the GST goes up again(with excuses from Govt),i think the more people will go and buy overseas.We care for price and warranty.

Take groceries for example,it's cheaper to buy in JB compared to Singapore's markets.

In JB, some of the food items are "controlled prices" ... only for local consumption ... buy back to Sing and you risk having to pay a fine ...

In I'sia and M'sia, there are a lot of price controls for political reasons. If the prices are market driven, the govt of the day would be overthrown (I actually dun mind) for being unable to control inflation ... Cooking oil and petrol are controlled to a certain extend as well ... when there is little pain for using (misusing) fuel, there is no incentive to save and find a better way of using them.

In this regard, it is good that we are not using our tax surpluses to subsidise consumption.

I totally agree with this... All business are setup to earn money... else how to survive... we cannot expect them to "support" us... but at least be fair... for example, how can 2 shop be selling the same thing with a price difference of more than $50 for a CF 4GB card... thats just out to try and fleece u...

Especially for lense, some may try to jack up the price by more than 50% even... i ever had a shop in SLS quote me $1188 for a 50mm F2... which is ridiculous... the RRP is not even that high!

bottom line... its supply vs demand... if the prices continue going up... we'll see more mass orders happening... :bsmilie:

Now thats one reason we should love CS more isn't it:p

I ever had a shop in SLS quoting me $150 for a Canon 511A 3600 mAh 3rd party batt (5200mAh batt cost $28 in OP upstairs) ...

come again, SLS is known for being BLACK ... other than OP, I really dun walk inside ...

yup tend to by my stuff from US because it is significantly cheaper, even with shipping and gst factored in. Would love to support local businesses, but the reality is we're in the age of the global economy and local businesses need to keep up to remain competitive.

someone ever commented that the Singapore mkt is too small and the vol we (collectively) buy is much less and hence, the cost of shipping any prods to Singapore is relatively high ... dunno how true that is ....

Sometimes, its the local importers that are controlling the margins. About a year ago, cathay revised the prices quite a fair bit for canon products. Several retailers mark up by xx% to cover rental, salary, dividends etc (which is fair). If agent marks up 50% before giving to retailers, retailers would just slap another 30% on top of the cost price. On top of it all, there is gst as the govt wants a partial share of the deal.

Other countries (eg HK) work on volume sales as those agents are much more aggressive on driving up revenues.

Its a number game. Eg. Selling 1000 units helps a hk firm earns USD5,000 profit. Selling 300 units can also make another shop (in another country) earns USD5,000 profit.

It was the same story with Cycle & Carriage on their MB. In those days, an S class cost a whopping $400k. And its only an S class for that amount compared to what it cost overseas.

It's all about complacency and such attitude is not something manufacturers look forward to.

I vaguely remember that HK does not have taxes ... not even personal taxes .... this is b'cos the HK govt dun need to spend money on areas such as defence ...

hence, less taxes = lower cost structure ...

perhaps

or you could give slightly less rice. 5 cents is literally peanuts, you know what i mean.

or keep constant price and output and 5 cents less profit per plate.. nothing too wrong with that either. i wonder if chicken rice stalls can register for gst rebates though. i'm sure photography stores, at least the reliable ones that are always recommended in clubsnap can.

give less rice, also got sgreans complain 1... imagine today use 300ml bowl to scoop rice, then tomorrow use 250ml bowl to scoop rice... sure dio hoot 1... (btw, i dunno wat bowl they use, and dunno if bowl use ml or wat system to calculate)

in sg, due to the 'culture' its always profit maximization... u dun earn, others earn... u are out... nobody pity you... no long run or short run, just anyhow run...

I vaguely remember that HK does not have taxes ... not even personal taxes .... this is b'cos the HK govt dun need to spend money on areas such as defence ...

hence, less taxes = lower cost structure ...

based on wiki -

hong kong has 17.5% corp tax and 16-20% individual tax, but not VAT/GST/similar

tax-free = UAE, no wonders why

Status
Not open for further replies.