Buying photo printer vs developing in shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurboiboi

Jan 8, 2003
Loyang
blurboiboi.instantlogic.com
hihi... anyone can tell me which of the above is more worth it??...
how much does it cost to print one 4R pic using personal photo printer, i know to develope one outside cost around 30 cents, right??..

blurboiboi said:
hihi... anyone can tell me which of the above is more worth it??...
how much does it cost to print one 4R pic using personal photo printer, i know to develope one outside cost around 30 cents, right??..

Where to get 30 cents? I developed at photo friend in peninsula plaza, they charged me 40 cents per photo even I developed 100 pcs.

Back to your question, I think if you are printing 4R only then develop will be more worth it cause a good photo paper + ink easily hit more than 50 cents per photo. My two cents....

er printing and devoloping are different you know...
developing is the processing of exposed film such that it can be printed

printing means making the image appear on paper...either from a developed film or a digital file...

dont confuse the words guys...

I used to advocate printing at the shop, because of cost and quality issues.

I've changed my mind since the slew of cheap new printers came out, with individual ink tanks (namely Canon i560 and Epson C63 / C83).

Cost of paper is about 28 cents per 4R, if you buy Ilford Galerie Smooth Glossy or Pearl (A4 size) and cut into 3 4R's. That, combined with the sheer convenience of seeing your prints immediately, beats printing at the shop. I keep accumulating digital files to burn onto a CDR and bring to the shop, but it's quite leceh. The last time I popped in was March 2003.

If one is serious about the quality of print (color gamut/tones/densities) and its archivablilty, there is no better print method than Silver Halide.
Inkjet prints will fade under normal lights (due to ultraviolet) in couple of weeks comapred to Silver halide of 10-15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.