Buying or Upgrading lenses a Wiser move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
Looking at how the prices of Camera bodies, both Film and Digital are tumbling, send chill down my spine. Can't imagine the $ that we tend to lose everytime we upgrade to the latest kit.:(

Like many of us have said before, camera is just a tool to capture and hold an image, is it significant enough for us to keep pumping $ in, to
buy the latest launch?:dunno: (No offence to anyone, at times ,just can't help but to think that some do it just for the sake of wanted to be seen with the latest gadget in town:think: )

IMHO, I think $ is much WISER to be spent on lenses instead for the following reasons:

1) Buy lenses that we have not own to give us more option and variety of capturing an image.

2) Buy lenses with better optics to achieve superior quality images.

3) lense tends to hold on to their price better on the resale market.

What your take on this issue CSers? Mind airing your view?

Seen with the latest gadget when hardly anyone in the street even recognises which brand of camera we use? haha

I guess more would have invest in lens than in bodies itself. Much as possible, I'd hope to have lens that is able to cover the range I want and provide superior and sharp pictures. Unless I'm a professional photographer whom require 10MP and above for certain jobs, a 4MP is normally suffice to do a decent print.

Conclusion: GO GET LENS!!! (BBB)

NE clicks clicks said:
Looking at how the prices of Camera bodies, both Film and Digital are tumbling, send chill down my spine. Can't imagine the $ that we tend to lose everytime we upgrade to the latest kit.:(

Like many of us have said before, camera is just a tool to capture and hold an image, is it significant enough for us to keep pumping $ in, to
buy the latest launch?:dunno: (No offence to anyone, at times ,just can't help but to think that some do it just for the sake of wanted to be seen with the latest gadget in town:think: )

IMHO, I think $ is much WISER to be spent on lenses instead for the following reasons:

1) Buy lenses that we have not own to give us more option and variety of capturing an image.

2) Buy lenses with better optics to achieve superior quality images.

3) lense tends to hold on to their price better on the resale market.

What your take on this issue CSers? Mind airing your view?

In the "old" days, the answer would have been an unequivocal "get the lens". The simple reason is that the image quality is not affected by the camera body - generally speaking.

However, today, the image quality is inextricably linked to the camera body - the sensor, the megapixel count, the software.

While it is true that the camera is just a tool, every new generation of digital camera potentially makes a difference to the image. And there is also the added complexity of post-processing.

Are you happy with you image quality? If so, then why upgrade? If not, I think a new body would probably gives the potential of making better quality images?

Indeed the camera body is depreciate much faster than the lens.
But if there are some real improvement (be it megapixel, speed, dynamic range, ease of use, full frame etc) in the body which really make a different while taking photo or improve the quality of photo, and it justify the cost, why not :dunno: . Sometime upgrade a new body is better than just upgrade the lens only.

Getting a newer camera with the latest added features which we do not use is totally a waste of $$$. Invest in Lenses is still a wiser choice. Unless you are a real Pro who depends on your camera for a living and the ROI is only a few assignments then its a totally different story.

Using your current camera which you have got used to also allows you to focus more on composition instead of figuring what this and that buttons are for.

expensive Gears do not always = perfect photos.

(just a newbie 2 cent thought)

On the flip side, a camera that is better equipped will also free your mind up to take photos instead of wrestle with other issues - analogy is manual flash vs automatic vs ttl flash. - bigger buffer vs smaller buffer - higher FPS vs lower FPS etc.

DeSwitch said:
Using your current camera which you have got used to also allows you to focus more on composition instead of figuring what this and that buttons are for.

expensive Gears do not always = perfect photos.

(just a newbie 2 cent thought)

Guess the equation then is still having the right lens for the right body under the given circumstances and having the knowledge to make the full use out of it.:)

Up to a certain point, it's worth putting in more cash for better lenses than a better body. Personally, I'd rather get another lens to expand my shooting range rather than splurge and jump from a 350D or 20D to a 5D, but who knows what they'd bring us in the upcoming PMAs? :think:

yyD70S said:
Guess the equation then is still having the right lens for the right body under the given circumstances and having the knowledge to make the full use out of it.:)

i agree! although i dont have a dslr :embrass:

Time to consider buying one if your finances are in order. It's really quite affordable now. The basic kit alone can do wonders in the right hands!

At the end of the day, one gotta ask oneself what is the standard/area of photography he expects/takes when buying a camera.

When there is a destination, there will be focus and just once cycle of buying will do.

Personally, I aim for a D200 will do. No need a D2X as im not full time nor a pro...

Again, if budgets forbids, then its either tahan and save hard or buy liao then stress how to pay it off... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.