Buying online??

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0n1n

Mar 9, 2009
Tampines
I'm planning to upgrade soon (cam) and got this tempting offer from a shop in the US. Generally, what are pros and cons of purchasing an item online? I know I won't be able to see the item until I receive it, but the seller assured me that the item is sealed by manufacturer and brand new.

Please do share your experiences, be it bad or good.

Mods,
If there's a duplicate thread, I apologize :sweat:

thanks ;)

U mind sharing which model of camera u are buying? maybe the members here can offer u places with better price. If you really want to buy online do remember to check whether it has international warranty and what is their return policy like. As far as i know only Hongkong are offering better price than Singapore. You may want to do a bit more research before you purchase it.:)

1. Warranty issues
2. Is that website reliable? What if you given the money but they never deliver the cam to you?

Take note that these dangers. :)

if overseas i would suggest going with legit shops... ive heard too many stories of people getting owned by shady dealers on the other side of the world...

U mind sharing which model of camera u are buying? maybe the members here can offer u places with better price. If you really want to buy online do remember to check whether it has international warranty and what is their return policy like. As far as i know only Hongkong are offering better price than Singapore. You may want to do a bit more research before you purchase it.:)

I'm planning to get 50D. Seller says cam is covered by international warranty and if proven defective, 1 for 1 replacement is applicable.

1. Warranty issues
2. Is that website reliable? What if you given the money but they never deliver the cam to you?
Take note that these dangers. :)

that's what i'm afraid of too, but seller provided me a reference who is also from SG and already bought an item from them. not sure if the reference is legit, but i will try to contact the reference.

and don't forget that you might end up paying more for delivery.

actually, the quoted price already includes the 48-hr shipping and door-to-door delivery. sounds a good bargain but smells something fishy? :dunno:

thanks guys, appreciate your inputs :)

that's what i'm afraid of too, but seller provided me a reference who is also from SG and already bought an item from them. not sure if the reference is legit, but i will try to contact the reference.

even better still... meet up with the guy(reference).. or ask the seller if he is contactable with the reference.. and ask him to mail it to reference and you collect from him... then its safe you get what you pay for.. my 2 cents worth

I'm planning to get 50D. Seller says cam is covered by international warranty and if proven defective, 1 for 1 replacement is applicable.

If it's really international warranty then Canon Singapore will be your contact point, not the shop. AFAIK, bodies have local warranty, lenses have international warranty. Any 1:1 exchange would be his promise, shipping costs will come on top.
Secondly, don't forget that Singapore customs will come up with a 7% bill upon delivery. Still a steal?

if overseas i would suggest going with legit shops... ive heard too many stories of people getting owned by shady dealers on the other side of the world...

Especially shipping charges can cost you a bomb.:)

if u use paypal its very safe...especialy if u buying from ebay....u can check the status of the seller...

if u use paypal its very safe...especialy if u buying from ebay....u can check the status of the seller...

Paypal has a minimum before the protection kicks in. Seller ratings are easily faked.

Some of the more reliable US shops are Adorama and B & H.

There are many Bait-And-Switch(*) ops in the States, so please be ultra careful if you are not buying from either of the above shops.

(*) As in they market the products $100-200 below what other reputable shops are selling. After you have placed your order, you get a phone call from the salesman who tries to sell you other stuff, especially filters at over the top prices. Either that, or they sell you extra accessories.

Sorry....Paypal is not safe...read the fine print.

There are a lot of horror stories here in Oz of buyers losing their monies to unscrupulous "backyard" sellers even though they paid using Paypal.

(*) As in they market the products $100-200 below what other reputable shops are selling. After you have placed your order, you get a phone call from the salesman who tries to sell you other stuff, especially filters at over the top prices. Either that, or they sell you extra accessories.

Or refurbished sets so I heard ! :bigeyes:

When buying online, I go for reliable shops. For those transactions on overseas BnS forums, you may have to check out the feedbacks on any, and is a leap of faith if you are willing to risk. Beware if the price is too good to be true

Ryan

even better still... meet up with the guy(reference).. or ask the seller if he is contactable with the reference.. and ask him to mail it to reference and you collect from him... then its safe you get what you pay for.. my 2 cents worth

if both the seller and reference are legit, then i don't see a problem meeting the reference; that is if he's willing to ;)

If it's really international warranty then Canon Singapore will be your contact point, not the shop. AFAIK, bodies have local warranty, lenses have international warranty. Any 1:1 exchange would be his promise, shipping costs will come on top.
Secondly, don't forget that Singapore customs will come up with a 7% bill upon delivery. Still a steal?

is that 7% GST? hmmm :think: i know there are thousands of Canon dealers worldwide, but is it possible to check with Canon if the shop is an authorized dealer? :confused: regarding the int'l warranty, i believe its for the body and lens, but again let me confirm that. thanks!

Paypal has a minimum before the protection kicks in. Seller ratings are easily faked.

Sorry....Paypal is not safe...read the fine print.

There are a lot of horror stories here in Oz of buyers losing their monies to unscrupulous "backyard" sellers even though they paid using Paypal.

Actually the mode of payment is money transfer thru Western Union...credit cards or paypal is not an option. gosh i thought paypal is safe..anyway never used that before, and i'm glad i didn't :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.