Buying Nikon 35mm F1.8G - Need to check anything?

babytweety

Jul 9, 2003
SPORE
Visit site
Hi all!
Gonna buy my 1st lens as mentioned above. Do I need to check anything? Tia.

babytweety said:
Hi all!

Just test the focusing and make sure all the documents (warranty, receipt) are in order. Better to buy from recommended shops.

Hmm..so need to bring the focus chart.
Yup, will be buying either from Cathay or TK. Txs spree86!

dosent matter what lens you buy..best is to bring your own camera down and check. Make sure all necessary stuff/document are inside.
Since you are buying from the shop (unless grey set) there should have warranty. So you can still get it fixed if there are problem..

babytweety said:
Hi all!

Also try sigma 30mm 1.4

Hmm..so need to bring the focus chart.
Yup, will be buying either from Cathay or TK. Txs spree86!

It would be good to bring the focus chart but normally I would not bother. Just focus your lens on where there are a number of words (say... a retail box), then see if the letter that are being focus was sharp or if the letter above (next) to it was sharp while it was blur.

Txs TWmilkteaTw and rhino123 for the advise. I prefered not to use that focus chart also..so cumbersome. Txs agn!

For me, I will do the following when buying new lens

- Ensure it's local set with the necessary docs and warranties
- Check for physical defects like scractches
- Check if optics is clean, no dust no mould
- Check focusing my shooting sharp and defined words, like boxes of lens
- Shoot at various focus distances and check focusing is correct
- If zoom, check for focusing throughout the zoom range
- Check if there's any serious vignetting, corner softness or colour fringing that is worse than your expectations or knowledge of the lens (do your homework on the lens).
- Check through the various aperture openings to ensure that the blades and connectors are working.

Of all the above pass, it's buy-able :)

Last edited:
avsquare said:
For me, I will do the following when buying new lens

- Ensure it's local set with the necessary docs and warranties
- Check for physical defects like scractches
- Check if optics is clean, no dust no mould
- Check focusing my shooting sharp and defined words, like boxes of lens
- Shoot at various focus distances and check focusing is correct
- If zoom, check for focusing throughout the zoom range
- Check if there's any serious vignetting, corner softness or colour fringing that is worse than your expectations or knowledge of the lens (do your homework on the lens).
- Check through the various aperture openings to ensure that the blades and connectors are working.

Of all the above pass, it's buy-able :)

Wah! So chim ah! Just hope I'm lucky to get a good set ;) txs for the tips. Will take note.

babytweety said:
That lens is above my budget ;)
Txs for the recommensation anyway.

Same as me, just try it. Then you will like 35mm even more. Enjoy.

did you ask SLR R for price? (IMO they always give a very good price)

Wah! So chim ah! Just hope I'm lucky to get a good set ;) txs for the tips. Will take note.

it's good to do a through check.. can save you time from going to service centres and also save you the agony.. later it's not up to your expectations and you regret and sell at a loss..

babytweety said:
Txs TWmilkteaTw and rhino123 for the advise. I prefered not to use that focus chart also..so cumbersome. Txs agn!

I would usually use the calculators they have in the shop

luckyorange said:
did you ask SLR R for price? (IMO they always give a very good price)

326 I got in march this year from SLRR

I thought TS was going to buy a resale set when I saw the title. Well since you are getting brand new, then do not have to worry so much. As long as under warranty, any focusing problem can be solved free. Just check that it is working as it should by test shooting how you normally would. Leave the damn focus chart at home :)

@luckyorange & lotus80, the price not much of a difference. I want to buy filters and holder and a crumpler bag which i believe only Cathay and TK selling.

avsquare said:
it's good to do a through check.. can save you time from going to service centres and also save you the agony.. later it's not up to your expectations and you regret and sell at a loss..

I will.... Txs agn for the advise.

wolfton said:
I thought TS was going to buy a resale set when I saw the title. Well since you are getting brand new, then do not have to worry so much. As long as under warranty, any focusing problem can be solved free. Just check that it is working as it should by test shooting how you normally would. Leave the damn focus chart at home :)

Hehehe...hope too. Txs!