Buying Nikkor Lense from US/Amazon

grandmaster33

Sep 13, 2011
Hi bros,

I'm planning to get a Nikkor lense from Amazon..since the black Friday is coming..
I assume that all Nikkor lense comes with international warranty. If there's smtg wrong with the lense (touch wood), I can get it service with NSC??
Am I right?

Thanks!

Hi bros,

I'm planning to get a Nikkor lense from Amazon..since the black Friday is coming..
I assume that all Nikkor lense comes with international warranty. If there's smtg wrong with the lense (touch wood), I can get it service with NSC??
Am I right?

Thanks!

I don't think it works that way. Any nikon body and lens purchased outside singapore will not be liable for free servicing in NSC even if the warranty covers it (not sure about it, but I think so). Also I don't think it will be that much cheaper than to purchase from Singapore.

if compare lenses between SG and US, the price is pretty much the same after you factor in shipping + import tax. I notice the best offer is on our MO threads and parallel importers e.g. DDelectronics.

if compare lenses between SG and US, the price is pretty much the same after you factor in shipping + import tax. I notice the best offer is on our MO threads and parallel importers e.g. DDelectronics.

Er... I don't think Singapore has import tax for this type of transaction... rather, we have GST...

Last edited:
rhino123 said:
I don't think it works that way. Any nikon body and lens purchased outside singapore will not be liable for free servicing in NSC even if the warranty covers it (not sure about it, but I think so). Also I don't think it will be that much cheaper than to purchase from Singapore.

Body no as they are local warranty but it's a different case for lens. All Nikon lenses have international warranty and as long as you have the receipt, NSC will service it for you

Last edited:
Yeah i tink they will ship together with a 1 year international warranty, too bad we dun live in US. 5 yrs worth of warranty...man.

If u have relatives staying there and helping u buy yup it'll be cheaper for some lens..some not so. 35 1.8 at 199 is quite ok, if they can bring it back free for u. The rest of the lenses come up to around the same price

Am I right?
Based on what do you assume this? Read the fine prints of the Amazon offer and on Nikon SG website. Do take note that Amazon (and others) sell equipment with specific warranty terms which are only valid for US. In order to claim this warranty you would need to ship the lens back to US.

Hi bros,

Am I right?

Thanks!

just for you to know. Amazon only ship books and dvds to sg. (if I remember correctly)

coolthought said:
just for you to know. Amazon only ship books and dvds to sg. (if I remember correctly)

And a lot of other good stuff......been there done that.

Yes there are stuff they don't ship outside the US. V-post is one workaround.

Amazon only ships to US based addresses. In order to ship to Singapore, can use Citibank's Borderlinx service or SingPost's VPost. If you wish to find out more, check out google. :)

there will be friends bringing back for me..so shipping + blablaba is out..

Yeah i tink they will ship together with a 1 year international warranty, too bad we dun live in US. 5 yrs worth of warranty...man.

If u have relatives staying there and helping u buy yup it'll be cheaper for some lens..some not so. 35 1.8 at 199 is quite ok, if they can bring it back free for u. The rest of the lenses come up to around the same price

Oh..u read my mind..that's what i'm going to do

Based on what do you assume this? Read the fine prints of the Amazon offer and on Nikon SG website. Do take note that Amazon (and others) sell equipment with specific warranty terms which are only valid for US. In order to claim this warranty you would need to ship the lens back to US.

I can't find the fine print on amazon offers..
This is what i see under nikon sg website.

PRODUCTS COVERED BY WORLDWIDE WARRANTY
Compact Cameras [35mm]
SLR Cameras [35mm]
APS Compact Cameras [IX240]
APS SLR Cameras [IX240]
Nikkor Lenses
Nikon Speedlight
Film Cameras' Accessories
Binoculars

Based on this, I assume that all Nikkor lenses enjoy worldwide warranty.

1. Worldwide warranty might not be true for lenses. Check to confirm.

2. Amazon does ship some electronics to singapore. Those that they don't, it will be shown clearly in the product page. Don't have to try checking out with some other items that can ship to singapore. Confirm cannot one, coz I tried before. System don't allow.

3. Even if amazon ships here, it is not cheap.

4. Vpost can use, but sometimes amazon like to use BIG BIG BIG box, then vpost charge base on volumetric weight. Super super expensive. I was charged 1kg for shipping a pair of earphones because my earphone was within a box that was within a box that was within a box. Yes, earphones(or what some call IEM), not headphone. So unless you are shipping many units in the box, otherwise be prepared.

5. Black friday does not mean everything become cheaper...the few items I am watching are still super expensive. In fact, they are more expensive than last year because sgd to usd is now 1.3+.

If you really die die must buy, then apply for amazon prime trial. They give free shipping to your US vpost/cgw address. Then ship to singapore from there.

Opps...only just see that you are not using shipping. Then just appy for amazon prime trial. The first month is free. After that de-select the auto renew.

Last edited:
I can't find the fine print on amazon offers..
I just checked Amazon.com for a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D, here is what is stated directly below the prices / stock data:"
Important Warranty Information: All Nikkor autofocus lenses from Nikon Inc. USA include four years of Nikon Extended Service Coverage at no charge. Be sure to look for the Nikon ESC certificate with every Nikkor lens purchase you make.
If you google around for this term 'Nikon Extended Service Coverage' you will find one important term:
Valid only in the USA (except the states of Florida, Virginia and Washington), Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands
[Source]
Based on this, I assume that all Nikkor lenses enjoy worldwide warranty.
This assumption would be wrong then. Please take note of such important terms like 'warranty' or 'service coverage'. They are not only just different words.
Finally, the Nikon US website showing the details: Nikon Warranty and Product Registration
Take note that 'Nikon Inc.' only refers to the Nikon US company, nothing else. Nikon Singapore is not the same company just because it's also 'Nikon', so there is no baseline to assume that Nikon Singapore will provide any services that are offered by Nikon Inc. USA.

Last edited:
Oh..u read my mind..that's what i'm going to do

Haha, because i'm doing that too. I'd know if there's any warranty for lenses when my bro comes back on 1st Jan. Can check out the 8mm fisheye, wayyy cheaper there than in sg. and its the same optics..got myself one and very happy with it.

I just checked Amazon.com for a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D, here is what is stated directly below the prices / stock data:"

If you google around for this term 'Nikon Extended Service Coverage' you will find one important term:
[Source]

Yes. That's what i can see as well. but it only refers to extended service coverage.
And for all Nikkor lenses, they still come with 1 year international warranty. And with international warranty, can i still get my lense service locally in sg?

This assumption would be wrong then. Please take note of such important terms like 'warranty' or 'service coverage'. They are not only just different words.
Finally, the Nikon US website showing the details: Nikon Warranty and Product Registration
Take note that 'Nikon Inc.' only refers to the Nikon US company, nothing else. Nikon Singapore is not the same company just because it's also 'Nikon', so there is no baseline to assume that Nikon Singapore will provide any services that are offered by Nikon Inc. USA.

If this is true, can you enlighten me what does international warranty mean?
And i'm not referring to the extended coverage service offered by Nikon Inc USA.

If this is true, can you enlighten me what does international warranty mean?
And i'm not referring to the extended coverage service offered by Nikon Inc USA.

Why don't you ask Amazon and Nikon? I'm doing some simple browsing through websites here and compare what is written. What I highlighted so far is the fact that Amazon.com does not state anything about Nikon warranty, but 4 years of ESC. This is something different and not valid for Singapore. Nikon US and Nikon SG (and authorized dealers) might both sell lenses with International warranty (your assumed meaning: you can go to any Nikon Service Center and get it repaired). But whether those lenses in Amazon.com also come with this warranty is not stated. And that was your question, right? :)

Nikon lenses come with 1 year international warranty. Conditions are that the seller must be an authorized dealer in the country the lens is purchased, and the lens must be a local warranty copy in that particular region. The sales receipt bearing the name of the authorized dealer must also be presented at the time of service during warranty period.