Buying New Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

playfriday

Mar 4, 2012
Hello!
I'm looking to buys camera, and I have completely no experiences, so I'm looking for lots of answers. This is basically for a 1 month trip to USA in May, and I am looking forward to buying a new camera before then.

My needs are that I don't want to retouch my photos, and I have used my cousin's DSLR, and its has a depth with every shot, she simply bought a random camera, so she doesn't know anything about it either. I also want something small so it is easy to travel with, and something which lens I can change so I can fiddle with it next time!

Currently, I am looking to buy either E-PL2 ($580), E-P3 ($1,300) or X100 (?). But I don't know what camera is the best for my needs. My favorite ifs X100 but its SOO expensive, is that worth the price for a beginner like me since I can't use the functions properly?

Thanks,
Ash

Update:
Already decided on EP3, should I use the packaged lens or sell it and get panny 20mm? What's the difference, does panny insuffice in any way?

Last edited:
Hello Ash,
For a 1 month trip in the states, the Olympus Pen is a very good choice for travel camera.
I would recommend you look at the EP-3, EPL-3 and the EPM1, rather than the EPL-2. They are faster to focus then the EPL-2.
The EPL-3 and EPM1 is cheaper than the EP-3, and also smaller. You can fit them in your jacket pocket if you are travelling. Performance and picture quality wise, the EP-3, EPL-3 and EPM1 are pretty much the same.
The out of camera JPGs and colours from these cameras are very good, and you do no need to do much retouch.

If you choose an EPL-3 or EPM1 over the EP-3, you can save some money to get pancake lenses.
The 14mm and 20mm pancake lenses from Panasonics are good, and will allow you to take sharp pictures even in dimmer light situation, and yet remain very small, light and inconspicuous.

For a 1 month trip, get additional batteries, as each battery can only last you about 300 shots, and additional SD card.
Do check out this post to give you an idea of what lenses and some useful focal length needed in travel pictures.
Traveling with my mirrorless pen

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm looking to buys camera, and I have completely no experiences, so I'm looking for lots of answers. This is basically for a 1 month trip to USA in May, and I am looking forward to buying a new camera before then.

My needs are that I don't want to retouch my photos, and I have used my cousin's DSLR, and its has a depth with every shot, she simply bought a random camera, so she doesn't know anything about it either. I also want something small so it is easy to travel with, and something which lens I can change so I can fiddle with it next time!

Currently, I am looking to buy either E-PL2 ($580), E-P3 ($1,300) or X100 (?). But I don't know what camera is the best for my needs. My favorite ifs X100 but its SOO expensive, is that worth the price for a beginner like me since I can't use the functions properly?

Thanks,
Ash

My advise is... go down to the shop and test out these cameras to see which one feels better in your hands. And for mirrorless camera, don't give the Sony Nex a miss, they are excellent cameras with big sensor (bigger than Olympus/Panasonic m4/3) which in theory would give you much better noise control.

btw, if EP3 cost around 1300, X100 would not be much more expensive and the price is actually good. However if you are a beginner with little or no photography experience, I would not recommend a fix lens rangefinder style camera as they are not the easiest to use and not everyone like fix lens. I would recommend a camera such as the Nex, Olympus pens series, Panasonic G series camera that are much more versatile and also had fix lens if you later wanted to try prime lens.

the thing is, only get a camera that you feel good with... and are comfortable with... and not one that give you heaps and heaps of features (which you would not use anyway).

Just get the EPL3 or EP3. The Oly are well known for their punchy JPG o/p right off the camera.

1 mth time is a short time to 'know' ur camera especially since u mention u hv 0 experience...

ep3 kit is decent or the epl3.
the 14-42 kit lense is good enough and all u need for the time being.

go buy n start shootin

I wld advise you to give the Fuji X100 a miss. While it produces great pictures, in my view it is not a camera for beginners. It has lots of manual controls n knobs n not exactly the most user friendly menu system. Btw, it is a fixed lens system, not inter-changeable like Nex or m4/3 systems.

My advise is not to buy something new and bring on a trip. Especially since you're not used to complex cameras, no insult intended here.

A point n shoot camera will yield a high number of useable shots.

Don't be misled that the 'better' cameras will give you better pictures, if anything, you'll get more missed shots cos you're too slow to turn it on or change the settings - all because you're not familiar with it. You'll only get better pictures after you've mastered it to some degree, few can get it right in 1 day.

I was using a PnS for many years, the reason for throwing a pic is because the subject didn't turn out good, closed eyes, distracted etc, v few due to technical reasons. With the SLR, there're always bad technical shots.

Hello!

My needs are that I don't want to retouch my photos, and I have used my cousin's DSLR, and its has a depth with every shot, she simply bought a random camera, so she doesn't know anything about it either. I also want something small so it is easy to travel with, and something which lens I can change so I can fiddle with it next time! Currently, I am looking to buy either E-PL2 ($580), E-P3 ($1,300) or X100 (?). But I don't know what camera is the best for my needs. My favorite ifs X100 but its SOO expensive, is that worth the price for a beginner like me since I can't use the functions properly?

Thanks,
Ash

buy a Leica M9.

Whatever you do, try to get camera that enables manual control.

Whatever you do, try to get camera that enables manual control.

pray tell us which of the above cameras, or mainstream interchangeable lens cameras do no incorporate Manual Mode?

obvious is obvious

kei1309 said:
pray tell us which of the above cameras, or mainstream interchangeable lens cameras do no incorporate Manual Mode?

obvious is obvious

Just a random advice to ts that claimed has 0 knowledge about cameras, not limited to cameras on his wishlist.

firstly how are you carrying your camera ? in your handbag .... in a backpack..... in a camera bag ?

if you want something small and have no intention of getting into this hobby seriously then go for a higher end compact and shoot with P mode until yu are sufficiently proficient

Higher end compacts from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus are close to one another in performance you wont go wrong

Thanks to everyone for your response especially trelch and rhino. I am leaning towards EP3 very much, I saw on the forum the other day that someone is offering a new set at $850, but I was too slow, so if such opportunity pops out again, I'll definitely go for it! As for ed9119's question, I'll probably carry it in my handbag (I'm female) so yup!

Thanks to everyone for your response especially trelch and rhino. I am leaning towards EP3 very much, I saw on the forum the other day that someone is offering a new set at $850, but I was too slow, so if such opportunity pops out again, I'll definitely go for it! As for ed9119's question, I'll probably carry it in my handbag (I'm female) so yup!

since you're new to photography, if you're buying 2nd hand, please bring along a friend who knows about cameras. this is to check for defects and other issues with the set before you purchase it.

since you're new to photography, if you're buying 2nd hand, please bring along a friend who knows about cameras. this is to check for defects and other issues with the set before you purchase it.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi,

Have you considered the NEXC3 or the NEX5n?
They are both very easy to use and very compact.

The X100 is a great camera, but if you are not used to shooting in manual, I suggest getting the NEX.
Picture quality wise the NEX is better than the Pen series as the sensor is bigger.

NEX5n is also cheaper than the EP3.

----------------------------------------------------
Matt Mulyadi - Photoblog -

Btw, the EPM1 and EPL3 comes in various colours, say... Pink. The EP3 doesn't have so many choices in colour.

Btw, the EPM1 and EPL3 comes in various colours, say... Pink. The EP3 doesn't have so many choices in colour.

I have read a lot of good reviews on EP3, and less on EPM1, and I like the silver EP3, so that isn't a concern, but is EPM1 better or something?

Hi,

Have you considered the NEXC3 or the NEX5n?
They are both very easy to use and very compact.

The X100 is a great camera, but if you are not used to shooting in manual, I suggest getting the NEX.
Picture quality wise the NEX is better than the Pen series as the sensor is bigger.

NEX5n is also cheaper than the EP3.

I bought a sony compact camera before, and I hated it, so I told myself never to get sony cameras again despite the fact that I really love the brand. I have heard good reviews about the NEX, but it is really that good that I should consider getting NEX instead of PEN?

I have read a lot of good reviews on EP3, and less on EPM1, and I like the silver EP3, so that isn't a concern, but is EPM1 better or something?

The EPM1 is smaller and cheaper than the EP3, and comes with lots of colours. The performance and output is exactly the same as the EP3, as they are using the same sensor and have the same focusing speed and functions, just that there are less customisation buttons and stuff. Do take a good look at those.

I bought a sony compact camera before, and I hated it, so I told myself never to get sony cameras again despite the fact that I really love the brand. I have heard good reviews about the NEX, but it is really that good that I should consider getting NEX instead of PEN?

The Sony NEX are very good cameras too. They perform better in low light situation. The M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonics) system however have much more selection of good lenses, and smaller system (lenses are smaller), and very pleasing out of camera JPegs, which will prove very useful to you if you don't do re-touch.

Here's a tip. The Olympus is launching a new camera, the OM-D camera. As with all things new, older cameras will become cheaper. If you can wait a little while, you may get a good bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.