Buying My First DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

klipse

Aug 31, 2007
good evening forumers,
I am new to the dslr world, and have decided upon getting my first next week.
I have narrowed my options to the nikon D90 with the tamron 18-270mm lens for an all rounded use. What I need is advice on the shops that are the most trustworthy and familiar.
Originally, I wanted to buy the kit with the provided 18-105, but the salesman convinced me to get the 18-270 for a more rounded use.

Any inputs on this? Does a high speed SD card help while taking photos?

Look at the Priceguide stickes.

1. for prices is best to call the various shops individually or go personally as listed price is not necessary the actual price.

2. the 18-270 VC is fairly new so is an okay choice. How much total are you quoted for D90 + Upgrade to 18-270?

3. card depends how fast the camera can dump the photos into the memory card but most people usually simply get the fastest there is.

the shop with lowest price normally tell you out of stock when you pay them a visit.
get a quote but ask the name so you can chase.
dont believe salesman totally cos they are salesman, some of them dont even know photography well or cannot take decent photo (especially those during exhibition)... (ISO joke: ISO : Image Stabilisation Option)
think what you want to shoot, read review of lense.

the 18-270 VC is fairly new so is an okay choice. How much total are you quoted for D90 + Upgrade to 18-270?
I would definitely not recommend this lens.I personally tried one out at a shop to see what the hype was all about and I found the lens to be ridiculously soft wide open.At f8, the sharpness is only considered acceptable but is still not very sharp compared to other lenses.For a do-everything lens, I can only recommend the Nikon 18-200

Originally, I wanted to buy the kit with the provided 18-105, but the salesman convinced me to get the 18-270 for a more rounded use.
Any inputs on this? Does a high speed SD card help while taking photos?

Never trust a sales man. Their intention is to make money and not to provide you free teaching and recommendation about good equipment. Superzooms (like 18-270) might appear convenient but they have other trade-offs. Either they are not sharp enough at extreme ends or the aperture calls for a sunny day. (After all, if they really were so great nobody would buy all the other lenses or prime lenses, right?). Stick to the kit lens and learn from there. Make knowledgeable decisions about the gear you really need (not just want), don't follow blindly a sales man.
A fast memory card will never make you taking better pictures. The camera interface is the key factor here. Have a look at this website and you'll see how marginal the gains are just by using the supposedly fastest memory cards: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

thanks for the swift responses, the warm replies and the close knitted community here have made my day! :) I'll take caution over the 18-270 as mentioned. thanks

Superzooms (like 18-270) might appear convenient but they have other trade-offs. Either they are not sharp enough at extreme ends or the aperture calls for a sunny day.

I agree on this point. you got to have bright daylight (not blazing sunlight thou) to have gd pictures. Kit lens will be the best to start off.

[
Any inputs on this? Does a high speed SD card help while taking photos?[/QUOTE]

Use a class 6 SD card. Class 4 will slow down your fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.