Buying My First DSLR... I NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesliekoh

May 6, 2008
Singapore, Serangoon
Hi all, as mentioned, I'm intending to buy my first DSLR but i'm saving up a lump sum so that i can get the necessary items as well like blower, len cleaning items, etc etc.

Can anyone help me to break down what are the DIE DIE MUST HAVE items? I'm intending to get a Canon EOS 40D, is it ok or are there other models that's best purchased by a first-timer like myself?

It will be best if you can list out the DIE DIE MUST HAVE items and their price range because I wanna gauge how much to save up and as weel as i'll avoid being Mr. Carrot Head ;p

Thank you all for your time :)

Cheers,
Leslie

hmm.. your choice of camera.. is it based on any consideration of what kind of pictures you would be taking? coz if not, maybe you have considered the available options, example for canon would be like the 450D or even 400D?

and your DIE DIE items to have would also depend on you again and what you shoot.. coz everyone would probably have their own 'DIE DIE' items which is different..

things like dry cabinet, tripod, flash.. :dunno:

you wont die if you dont have them but a lens cloth, blower, extra batts and memory cards, a good and sturdy bag to carry around... all these would help you start off ur shootings...
then when u'v shot enough and you come to realise what accessories you need next, ie tripod, flash...
and the other ranges of lens you need...

Dry cabinet

And Save $$$ for the Lens and buy a Cheapo body.. 400d is good enough.. then a L Lens

Hi Leslie

You can also consider Nikon D60 a new entry camera. I suggest you consider buying the lens and tripod.

Dry Cabinet and UV filter

dry box too troublesome to heat the silicon gel after every few week

Get a camera that is package along with a kit lens first then use the $$ to get a dry cabinet if you doesn't have one. Other items can come later. properly care for the camera is a must before expanding on the gears.

hi all, thanks for your fast responses :) i'm glad to be able to receive so much help despite it's my first post.

i'm sorry to include that i'm actually a semi-active wakeboarder so i'm interested in taking trick shots but i also love taking abstracts and still life photos :)

what would be a good model for me, a first-timer to get?

thanks again for all your help :)

Cheers,
Leslie

400D or 450D or Nikon D40 -D60 range

hi all, thanks for your fast responses :) i'm glad to be able to receive so much help despite it's my first post.

i'm sorry to include that i'm actually a semi-active wakeboarder so i'm interested in taking trick shots but i also love taking abstracts and still life photos :)

what would be a good model for me, a first-timer to get?

thanks again for all your help :)

Cheers,
Leslie

Well, most if not all DSLRs can do that. Maybe you should consider getting a fast & longer zoom lens instead for your wakeboarding shots.

I would suggest that u go have a feel of the different cams offer by different manufactures and look at the quality of the pictures by each manufacturer. The camera's feel and ergonomics is very important too. I would definitely go for something which I feel comfortable in my hands and the layout of the buttons & functions are also something which I would consider.

Features wise, most cameras are about the same, just have a feel to see which is more comfortable to you.

Try playing with the cameras with your hand. For example, I am uncomfortable with the feel of 400d compared to 40d.

Die die must have (from my noobs opinion)

Lens - on buget go for kit lens. Otherwise, cheap lens are 50mm f1.8 II IS (~$120-130), and 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS. (~350-380)
UV Filter to protect lens from some scratches. Yea it happens to everyone. $20
Blower (usually will come with the package)
Bag (usually will come with camera set)
Tripod ( Slick or Benro as cheap and 'ok' to use tripod)
Dry cabinet. I bought a dry box, now regretting because of 'high maintenance'. Buying a dry cabinet soon. Maybe a digi cabi 30l or 40l $110-160

Later, you go for more lenses

And still later, you will go for more lenses.... and the stories go on and on :)

Cheers, Christophe

Dry cabinet. Start protecting your gear from day 1. Even if circumstances are such that you sell you gear later on, the dry cabinet can still be used for other purposes....

get a bigger dry cabinet if your home space allow. I got DB-36 (30L) then realise too small for my stuff... so I sold at a loss for a DB-120L (120L) which is just nice for me. (just personal opinion.)

for a starter like u, the camera must have an operation that is user-friendly and quick to learn, do consider Sony Alpha becos even a secondary school kid knows how to use an Alpha DSLR ( i am serious !)

i suggest a Sony Alpha 200 (less than 1k).. it comes with a free workshop lesson taught by real professionals... with Alpha u can get to use Carl Zeiss lenses specially manufactured and tested for Sony DSLR in far future..

take a look >> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A200/

:thumbsup:

Tosh..
of course it has to be a k200D. Don't let the canon/nikon mafia pull the wool over your eyes. In body shake reduction, weather sealing, all with a budget price.

die die must have beside a camera is a camera lens. :bsmilie: don get body-only package and start shooting. :sweatsm:

beside mem cards all this, i don think there is anything that is "die-die must have"

Personally you need to plan for the "must have" items

1) DSLR camera with kit lens (it's better to start off with basic lens first, speciality lens (e.g. telelens) might not suit your type of shooting later...hence it's better to start off small before you discover what you need).

2) UV filter (you can get the cheap version Hoya..there's no need to get a better UV lens..basically it's to protect your lens from accidental scratches)

3) dry cabinet (humidity in singapore can ruin your lens...fungus growth.I've read one case of fungus growth within a week...it will render your lenses worthless or useless, if you are serious in being in photography, get 60L, since you will realise that 40L is not enough..besides it;s only 30-40 dollars extra.

-------
In regarding which camera brand you should join, personally I will advise ppl to take Canon or Nikon. The reason is that these two brands have the largest following (my guess both are abou 80-90% of the world dSLR market and probably likewise for singapore's market too)
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2007/11/133_13561.html
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/04/0...hare-to-nikon-in-2007-market-as-a-whole-grew/
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12721

With big following you have the following advantages
1) bigger 2nd hand market at clubsnap..you can trade your lenses.
2) more variety of speciality lens (Telelens, macrolens, wide angle lens)
3) 3rd party lens manufacturers are more plentiful (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma etc) than smaller camps
4) easier to troubleshoot on camera problems since most people own canon/nikon cameras on clubsnap and singapore
5) it's very hard to go out of fashion with these two parties...you know your manufacturer won't go out of business and stops making lens, body and servicing for your camera.

Yes it's cool and hip and unique to join smaller brands...but for long term economical and choice of selection of lens..it's better to get Canon or Nikon.

Hope that helps!

I beg to defer. The other brands are as good too. Pentax, Olympus, Sony-formerly Konica-Minolta, Leica, Rollei, etc . . . are some of the brands that come to mind.

I still own the Canon AE-1 and the Pentax Z-20 SLRs of long ago. They are still in good working order too. I can find lenses from 3rd party manufacturers too. Only problem is that here in SG, the Pentax had lousy support from the distributor J & J.

Pentax also had Pro version of SLRs so do Leica, Olympus and Sony.

He's not saying that only Nikon and Canon DSLRs are good. Rather, he's saying that due to the popularity (and that's a fact. You can't deny it) of these 2 brands, accessories and everything else are plentiful. Help is also more readily available. That was his point, NOT that Sony, Pentax, etc are not good.

I beg to defer. The other brands are good too.....

I, too, would beg to differ from the majority of the other users here. I totally regretted getting the kit lens. If I could turn back time, I would just buy the body, and then get a super-zoom like 18-250mm here from BnS. This kind of lens will allow you to try out wide-angle, portraiture, macro, you name it! Once you've decided better on the area you really want to go into, then you can get better lenses. And if you have a "concerned" gf/wife like mine, constantly buying and selling lenses aren't a good idea. For first-timers, just get an all-rounder lens that'll also fit your travel needs nicely, and it shld last you for a while.

What happened to me:
- Bought the kit.
- Found out that 70mm not far enough for me, especially when go travelling. Also because just saw some macro shots. Very gian to try out.
- Bought 70-300mm.
- Found out that actually macro not that exciting for me. Decided that I won't do macro very often.
- Learnt about the merits of using filters. Very gian to try out.
- Bought filters for both lenses.
- Found out that carrying 2 lenses plus accessories quite heavy. Not suitable to go travelling. Also, accessories like filters need to get 2 sets = high cost.
- Found out that performance of 18-250 actually is better than my kit lens and that it fulfills all my requirements of travel, portrait and the occasional macro - all in a more compact and lighter form!
- But too late! Already spent quite a bit of $$ on both lenses and their filters. Wife don't allow any more purchases in the near term. What to do? Can only regret.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.