Buying my first camera system

Status
Not open for further replies.

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hey everybody
this is my first post on clubsnap.. so currently i'll be asking more than i answer :D
i have a couple of things i want to clarify with some photographers who know wat theyre talking about! asking friends who know 'a bit about photography' doesnt help much:D
anyway, here's wat i want to know:

1. this is my first DSLR camera, and im thinking of going for the canon 500D. is that a good option? it seems very popular especially among hobbyists, and its got good reviews..

2. will it be worthwhile for me to think about getting the 50D? its a bit out of m budget, but if its really worth it, for a beginner, then i guess i could save up longer n go for it.. a friend told me that the main difference is the AF microadjustment on the 50D. is that important for a newbie? the size doesnt matter, ive tried both and they fit fine in my hands.. and the HD video on the 500D isnt really a plus for me, as im interested only in still photography.. i dont want to fork out more for the 50D but i just wanna know if its a big difference for me..

3. i cut out nikon camears out of my sights coz someone told me that the lenses used on nikons come in AF and MF separately i.e. u cant switch to manual focus on an AF nikkor lens.. is this true, and is this not the case for canon? coz i'd like to be able to experiment with manual focus while always having auto focus, in the same lens

4. lastly, i was thinking of buying the canon 500D body first, and maybe a different, better lens, than the kit lens it comes with.. any recommendations for an entry level lens? or should i just go with the kit EF-S 18-55? i dont want to spend a LOT on a lens, maybe max SGD400.. also, are EF-S lenses better than EF? just curious

thanks a lot for reading through, if u did :lol hope to hear some replies! cheers!

hey everybody
this is my first post on clubsnap.. so currently i'll be asking more than i answer :D
i have a couple of things i want to clarify with some photographers who know wat theyre talking about! asking friends who know 'a bit about photography' doesnt help much:D

1. this is my first DSLR camera, and im thinking of going for the canon 500D. is that a good option? it seems very popular especially among hobbyists, and its got good reviews..

2. will it be worthwhile for me to think about getting the 50D? its a bit out of m budget, but if its really worth it, for a beginner, then i guess i could save up longer n go for it.. a friend told me that the main difference is the AF microadjustment on the 50D. is that important for a newbie? the size doesnt matter, ive tried both and they fit fine in my hands.. and the HD video on the 500D isnt really a plus for me, as im interested only in still photography.. i dont want to fork out more for the 50D but i just wanna know if its a big difference for me..

3. i cut out nikon camears out of my sights coz someone told me that the lenses used on nikons come in AF and MF separately i.e. u cant switch to manual focus on an AF nikkor lens.. is this true, and is this not the case for canon? coz i'd like to be able to experiment with manual focus while always having auto focus, in the same lens

4. lastly, i was thinking of buying the canon 500D body first, and maybe a different, better lens, than the kit lens it comes with.. any recommendations for an entry level lens? or should i just go with the kit EF-S 18-55? i dont want to spend a LOT on a lens, maybe max SGD400.. also, are EF-S lenses better than EF? just curious

thanks a lot for reading through, if u did :lol hope to hear some replies! cheers!

Stick with the 500D and maybe get a better lens... maybe just get the body and a tamron 17-50 f2.8. if u can get a flash/tripod too.. bear in mind that u need to invest in more than just cam and lens. there is also the bag, dry cabi, filters etc... hope this helps :D

get within ur budget...izit a must for u to get 500D? got consider 450D or 1000D mah?

I would suggest that you stick close to ur budget lor cos it a expensive...

cos beri easy to kena the BBB virus..:devil: :bsmilie:

go test out the cam first...

heshanj said:
hey everybody

What exactly is your budget? That affects which of the Canon bodies you can realistically afford. Don't forget extras like filter, flash, dry cabinet, etc. Easily another 400-500.

Regarding your point #3.... what kind of idiot told you that?
Nikon AF lenses can't manual focus? What rubbish!
switch.jpg

With regards to #3, I think your "know abit about photography" friends are totally clueless... I have never known any lens from any brand that cannot switch to manual focus if it has autofocus.

Nikon is backward compatible with their older manual focus lens... so if u use manual focus lens, there's no autofocus available. The reverse is... wah, really nothing to say. Haha!

#1 & 2: U need to read up more on the bodies you choose. Don't decide based on popularity. Know the differences and you will make a better-informed decision. It also depends on how long you want to keep the body... Over the years, new bodies will arrive with better/newer technology at cheaper prices. Are you able to live with your current (new) body when those cameras come? For me, I don't plan to change my body for many years to come, provided it's still surviving. Coming from the Nikon side, my first choice back then was D60, followed by D80, then D90, then D300. Because I really wanted metering with manual focus lenses, I went with the D300. And while my skills may not fully utilize the D300, it will be there for when I'm ready to try new things.

#4: Kit lenses are a good range for walk-about. The lacking feature would be a large aperture, but not everyone needs that. If you don't do low-light photography, if you're willing to up your ISO somewhat, if you're getting a moderate telephoto anyways (which you can use to isolate a subject), then u might not need a faster lens. If you do, then I recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Might be quite over your max budget though. But seriously, try to live with your kit lens first. It's not as lousy as most people think.

As for EF-S and EF, I think the difference is just one is cropped sensor lens, and the other is full frame lens?

Canon EF-S lenses are for cameras with cropped sensors (ie sensor is smaller than the window in standard 35mm film). They are not better or worse than EF lenses, just designed for different cameras.

In Nikon-speak, the equivalent terminology is 'FX' (same as 35mm) and 'DX' (smaller than 35mm by a certain factor)

thanks for all the response, everyone! ha, yeah.. i told u its better to ask u guys than ask amateurs.. i knew nikon couldnt have a flaw like that.. maybe i'll check out a couple of nikons too then..

my budget is around 1000 to max 1200.. i think i can manage to even get a canon 500D kit for 1200 so maybe i'll go for that.. ive checked a lot of reviews on the 500D and that seems to suit my purpose really.. but i just thought i'd ask about the 50D; but yeah, i gotta admit its out of my budget right now.. especially with additional stuff u mentioned i should buy..
i didnt even think of a dry cabinet... haha.. how much do those go for?

about the lens, i think i'll go for the kit lens, im im buying the 500D (looks like it)

thanks again

EDIT: if im looking at a nikon (just for comparison), which model would be closest to the canon 500D? i think its the D5000, but i read reviews and comparisons with the 500D and it looks like the canon is better.. i should check out the D90, maybe? although i think thats more expensive

Last edited:
hey buddy,

Just a gentle reminder, if you are getting Canon, bare in mind that they are having buy back program now, u can get the Canon 500D kit with around 1.1k only!

Just get a used and cheap canon camera from the 2nd hand shop (i saw cash converter selling a used camera at $36!)....then u can enjoy the 25% off!

hope this helps....:)

Actually, don't some of the lower-end Nikon models like the D60 only has AF support with AF-S lens or something? I'm not too sure about this point though, it's something I read on DPReview.

thanks for all the response, everyone! ha, yeah.. i told u its better to ask u guys than ask amateurs.. i knew nikon couldnt have a flaw like that.. maybe i'll check out a couple of nikons too then..

my budget is around 1000 to max 1200.. i think i can manage to even get a canon 500D kit for 1200 so maybe i'll go for that.. ive checked a lot of reviews on the 500D and that seems to suit my purpose really.. but i just thought i'd ask about the 50D; but yeah, i gotta admit its out of my budget right now.. especially with additional stuff u mentioned i should buy..
i didnt even think of a dry cabinet... haha.. how much do those go for?

about the lens, i think i'll go for the kit lens, im im buying the 500D (looks like it)

thanks again

EDIT: if im looking at a nikon (just for comparison), which model would be closest to the canon 500D? i think its the D5000, but i read reviews and comparisons with the 500D and it looks like the canon is better.. i should check out the D90, maybe? although i think thats more expensive

Ok stick to your decision and get the 500D if your budget allows. Try not to get swayed by advice from different people pulling you this way and that. They're all good cameras la. D90 has more features of course, but you may not need them.

Actually, don't some of the lower-end Nikon models like the D60 only has AF support with AF-S lens or something? I'm not too sure about this point though, it's something I read on DPReview.

Yes D60 only allows auto-focus when coupled with AF-S lenses (or equivalent from 3rd party makers). Entry-level Nikons are targeted at users who don't have any legacy lenses, and are unlikely to buy more lenses besides the usual 18-55 kit and maybe 55-200.
Nikon is making more and more AF-S lenses anyway, so eventually this will be a moot point.

The nikon D5000/D40/D60 all do not have a AF motor inside the camera body, which means that lens that does not have a internal motor, cannot AF. (Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, etc).

If you're keeping to kit lens when using a entry nikon, it won't be much of an issue. Nikon G lens are also rather cheap, with a 70-300 costing only slightly more than 200.

OK. additional cost to take note of...
bags - one bag usually won't be enuff
Filters - usually 1 per lens (since dslr, unless Grad filter or CPL)
flash
tripod (not cheap...)
dry cabinet.

yeah, i think i'll stick with the canon 500D.. although still not sure if ishould save up for a better lens, like the one recommended by a couple of guys here..

hey buddy,

Just a gentle reminder, if you are getting Canon, bare in mind that they are having buy back program now, u can get the Canon 500D kit with around 1.1k only!

Just get a used and cheap canon camera from the 2nd hand shop (i saw cash converter selling a used camera at $36!)....then u can enjoy the 25% off!

hope this helps....:)

wow, cool! maybe i'll try that out! thanks :)

The nikon D5000/D40/D60 all do not have a AF motor inside the camera body, which means that lens that does not have a internal motor, cannot AF. (Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, etc).

If you're keeping to kit lens when using a entry nikon, it won't be much of an issue. Nikon G lens are also rather cheap, with a 70-300 costing only slightly more than 200.

OK. additional cost to take note of...
bags - one bag usually won't be enuff
Filters - usually 1 per lens (since dslr, unless Grad filter or CPL)
flash
tripod (not cheap...)
dry cabinet.

oh ok.. now i get the nikon lens issue thing :D well, yeah, it wouldnt be an issue for me with the kit lens.. but like mentioend here, i think i'll stick to my first choice of the canon 500D..
how much is a decent dry cabinet, for like.. one camera and maybe a couple of lenses? does the brand matter, or anything will do? and how about filters? wat kind of filters do i need, for each lens? sorry for all the questions :D thanks!

IMHO, there's not much diff to me between 450D and 500D. Movie mode is nice, but I don't use video recording often, even on my mobile phone. The upgraded sensor is your own preference. Though I believe the 500D comes with DIGIC 4.

http://www.digihub.com.sg/ProductList.aspx?Bg=3&SubCategoryID=34

it's about SG$110 i think. if you buy direct from them and spend more than SG$150 (not sure) they include free delivery.

Filters, get a HMC filter first to start with.(50ish depending on ur lens size) Then get more based on your needs.

By the way, I just ordered this today...
Tiffens Neutral Grad HT 0.6 filter is US$100... with shipping of US$30 ish. hoho.

oh ok.. now i get the nikon lens issue thing :D well, yeah, it wouldnt be an issue for me with the kit lens.. but like mentioend here, i think i'll stick to my first choice of the canon 500D..
how much is a decent dry cabinet, for like.. one camera and maybe a couple of lenses? does the brand matter, or anything will do? and how about filters? wat kind of filters do i need, for each lens? sorry for all the questions :D thanks!

Cheapest dry cabinet is digihub's DB-036, 36L 2 shelves for a DSLR and some lenses + filters.
If you want to save on delivery charge, can buy from Carrefour. Cash & Carry.

Filters are not really something you NEED, but you you buy them when you find a use for them. Therefore we can't really recommend something you'll need.
The most common are UV, which is just for protection of the lens' front element.
The next likely one will be a circular polarizer (CPL), which polarises light entering the lens, to cut glare or get deep blues in the sky. Google for more info.

if you go for 500D, you will always think of upgrading it to 50D. 500D is entry level camera. 50D is semi-pro, big difference. and yes 50D is alot better than 500D. i would have save a little longer for the 50D if i were you, decision is still yours :)

It is not wise to stretch your budget just to get a camera body and a kit lens. In fact it is better to save more on the body+kit and leave room for other lenses, flash and accessories. What you need to understand that buying a DSLR camera is unlike a PnS or prosumer purchase. You will need/want quite a bit of other stuff before you know it.

If I have to do it all over again, knowing things I know now, stuff I would get if getting my first DSLR would be:

DSLR body + kit lens
Clear/Protective/UV filter (please get good multi-coated one. I use Kenko pro1 D) Reviews of good brands here.
Circular Polarizer (C-PL)
Dry cabinate or Dry box
Simple camera bag
Extra Li-on battery for camera
Lens cleaning kit (I use Lenspen)
Of course, a good fast speed memory card (or 2)

Next down the line I will get slowly one by one (in the order of):
Tripod (cheap one or expensive one up to you. Having one is better than none)
50mm 1.8 prime lens (very cheap, for lowlight, and for background blurring)
Flash gun (get a diffuser for it too)
Tele zoom lens (a cheap 70-300 or 55-200 comes to mind)

After all these, you will have a very good set of equipment that can cover 99% of every situation nicely.

But after you reach this point and got better in your hobby, I can assure you that you will want better equipment and will get the BBB virus!

if you go for 500D, you will always think of upgrading it to 50D. 500D is entry level camera. 50D is semi-pro, big difference. and yes 50D is alot better than 500D. i would have save a little longer for the 50D if i were you, decision is still yours :)

Well....

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Everyone needs to read this article very carefully before buying anything.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.