Buying my camera today! =) =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootboink

Oct 29, 2009
I am going to buy the K-x today! After a long long time of research and bugging of you kind souls for help here

Thanks for answering all my questions in so much detail =)

Can i ask, when i buy the set, what should i get as well apart from the camera set? Like filters, etc etc. What are the important things i should add?

Do they cost a lot, and can i ask them to add them into my package as freebies?

Now i still in uni.. cannot spend parents' money too much much la.. Must take these into consideration.. unless i start working.

Welcomde to Pentax family :)

I don't suggest to buy a filter for the kit lens. It got SP (Super Protect) coating anyway ;) Better find a hood later on if you can 'cause the lens doesn't come w/ a hood as default.

Someone got a charger and 4 eneloop rechargeable batteries for free from local purchase, I think these are more useful if you don't have them already. A camera bag would be good too, but probably doesn't come free.

Just get the kit lens for a start, later on get a cheap manual 50/1.7 or even 50/2, you'd have a lot fun w/ this nice little camera.

Good luck getting the camera.

I am going to buy the K-x today! After a long long time of research and bugging of you kind souls for help here

Can i ask, when i buy the set, what should i get as well apart from the camera set? Like filters, etc etc. What are the important things i should add?

Now i still in uni.. cannot spend parents' money too much much la.. Must take these into consideration.. unless i start working.

rechargeable AA battery (eneloop/imedion/recyko low self-discharge type), charger, camera bag (not necessary with just 1 lens), uv filter (not that necessary for cheap kit lens), blower, lens cloth, big SD card, good tripod, shutter release cable/remote, neoprene camera strap, etc.

see what freebies you can milk out of the shop, but most of the time even if they give you, it will be of dubious quality. eg. the lousy aluminium tripods and lens cleaning kits. please please please do not get conned into paying exorbitant prices for vitacon uv filters and other lousy stuff! i'm sure you've seen the complain threads all over CS.

don't rush to buy all these accessories just yet. it takes some experience to figure out what you're lacking, after that just buy the best that you can afford so you don't have to keep upgrading things. counter-intuitive at first, but it does save money in the long run. also, check out the mass sales part of the forum, the accessories there are generally cheaper than in shops i think, but more troublesome to buy.

finally, welcome to the pentax family! i'm also a poor uni student. but partly because of all the LBA poison.. :devil:

Last edited:
Just bought a 3 days old KX white color,comes with white kid lens, 8 gig kingston, 4 battery and a screen proctector. The owner is looking for pink color for his wife and hence letting go of the white bought from MS color. Orignal price I think was 960. I paid 880. :D

Much lighter than the K10 d I am holding, bigger screen and obvious better features and more pixels.

otc

Just bought a 3 days old KX white color,comes with white kid lens, 8 gig kingston, 4 battery and a screen proctector. The owner is looking for pink color for his wife and hence letting go of the white bought from MS color. Orignal price I think was 960. I paid 880. :D

Much lighter than the K10 d I am holding, bigger screen and obvious better features and more pixels.

otc

Congrats Marcus on the new cam. I'm sure you'd love it :)

thanks guys for the help.

so fengwei, no need to get a filter ah? cos that's like one of the first things that my friends say i should get, and i have heard it from more than 1 person!

as for screen protector, that one need?

If this is your first DSLR, you should also look into buying a suitable storage e.g drybox or dry cabinet to keep your cam and lens. Do remember it is a delicate equipment to take care.

The rest of stuff can come later on when you got enough vitamin M;p

also marcus - you say the person you bought it from is looking for a pink one?

how to get? can we in singapore get other colours apart from white and black ah?

Congrats Marcus on the new cam. I'm sure you'd love it :)

tks, fengwei. the lens is white too:bsmilie:

also marcus - you say the person you bought it from is looking for a pink one?

how to get? can we in singapore get other colours apart from white and black ah?

He said he is bringing in from Japan and will be slightly more that 1K, if not mistaken 1060 from yen conversion. If u have friends to bring in better, cos if by post likely gst to be added. His nick evilpucca, name Mark.:D He is helpful, basically a canon guy.

But this cute Pentax Kx is going to attract lots of ladies and new users becos of the colors and price point with the features given. u know for ladies, pink n red will be their favourite colors:bsmilie:

marcus

thanks guys for the help.

so fengwei, no need to get a filter ah? cos that's like one of the first things that my friends say i should get, and i have heard it from more than 1 person!

as for screen protector, that one need?

Welcome to Pentax community!

As the others say, not really necessary to have a filter for the cheap kit lens. But it's up to you. :)

Screen protector, I feel no need, and don't use it myself.

Good thread you put up here. I am another newbie and is just about to purchase my first DSLR. I was all ready to buy a Canon but somehow ended up here reading about K-X and change my mind.

Lucky to have parents to sponsor this for you ;)

OK i decided, i shall just get a filter for my lens! the other poisonous stuff will come later ba.:bsmilie:

so the essentials for carrying, storage and protection purposes, if i want, would be a UV filter, a dry box as well as a bag.

is that right? how much more additional will it cost ah? an estimate would be helpful :)

Normal filter about 10 dollars and dry box with a clip on type, about 20 plus to 30 dollars where is a silica gel inside a plastic box.

Sufficient for beginner, as built in flash is usable. High iso is usable , u may not need flash too:)Kit lens is general purpose lens n for a start is good enuf. Screen protector also no need la.

With this you are welcome to join the Pentax gathering in sembawang:bsmilie:

marcus

No need filter lah...You will get everything you need to get started as the package currently comes with 8GB SD card and Eneloop charger plus 4 eneloop batteries. :)

I would offer a different opinion on the dry box. For just the K-x and kit lens, you could just buy a pack of nicely packaged silica gel from Daiso and keep the whole lot in your camera bag (if it closes at least somewhat tightly) or in a big ziploc bag. When you realise how much extra gear you're going to add to the collection, then you can start hunting for a dry cabi of the right size... :devil: Just remember to revive the silica gel regularly by hanging them out to dry.

A cheap UV filter (expensive doesn't mean good, be VERY discerning when buying UV filters, mainly at the less reputable shops) is good for protecting your lens, but will affect your image quality. You may or may not mind at first, but it's good to know the pros and cons at least.

For screen protector, can also buy big sheets from Daiso (just $2!) and cut to the right size.

Oh, and yes, everyone who has reported K-x prices to me indicates that 4xAA Eneloops, charger, and 8GB SDHC card is the norm where freebies are concerned. :)

Last edited:
I BOUGHT IT WOOHOOOO!!!! SO HAPPY!! =)

I got a HOYA 52 UV filter.. is that a good filter? will it affect my shots?

hoya got many types of UV filter, from the cheap G series to HMC, Super HMC, Pro 1D and the high end HD series.

don't worry too much though, start taking photos instead! :)

how much did u pay for it ?
which shop you uy from ?
goin to get it next week

gxgx
happy shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.