buying monitor for photoediting at IT show

Roboflame

Sep 20, 2010
Australia
Hi All,

I want to buy a monitor in IT show. But my budget is a bit tight. SGD 500 for my monitor. Currently, I am using Apple Mac Book Pro 13".

Could you all please help me to give some advise for buying cuz I never buy monitor before? And I will buy monitor calibration device for correct color correction.

Thank You all

CheerS

U can try getting the ultra sharp series from Dell. 24" is only $389. Though I would rather order online for them to deliver to my doorstep than the squeeze thr the crowd.

Cowseye said:
U can try getting the ultra sharp series from Dell. 24" is only $389. Though I would rather order online for them to deliver to my doorstep than the squeeze thr the crowd.

Yes, Dell Ultrasharp is decent generally and is good value for money. Of course not top class , but good enough for most purposes. Not that different after calibration either, so out of box is decent.

edutilos- said:
Yes, Dell Ultrasharp is decent generally and is good value for money. Of course not top class , but good enough for most purposes. Not that different after calibration either, so out of box is decent.

Bro, can recommend a good monitor within $500?
Or more ex ones if u can, my dream monitor is the dell UL3011 (I think tats the model number).

Actually, the crowd wasn't as bad as I thought...Just bought my U2412 at stated price :) And the online price seems to be abit more expensive. and if you buy from the IT show, it will be a 5 year on-site warranty instead of the normal 3 year.

*And I simply loved the colors as compared to what I was using previously....a LED TV......*

Last edited:
Bro, can recommend a good monitor within $500?
Or more ex ones if u can, my dream monitor is the dell UL3011 (I think tats the model number).

I'm using a small Dell Ultrasharp... Don't really use expensive monitors... Mainly because I am more than used to a smaller screen... Worked on a 14" laptop for years..

Thank for the advise. I also planning to buy dell U2412m. But when I see, not really sharp comapred to samsung TN monitor.

May be my eyesight are bad.

Thank for the advise. I also planning to buy dell U2412m. But when I see, not really sharp comapred to samsung TN monitor.

May be my eyesight are bad.

If you are referring to the one at the current IT Show and it's not sharp. The main reason being, Dell booth is being cheapo on the video source. The video source of all the screens there is from a dvd player and the video output quality is not HDMI which is the main reason why so chui...*I've checked with the staff over there regarding this...*

If I have not done my reading online, I will think the same too...but after buying it back and tested on my videos, SOLID...

btw, If you are buying from this IT show, Please remember to ask them how to register for the 5 year warranty. I came home only to find that Dell's registration for warranty is via this Service Tag which is NOT included (nor found) in the . I will be returning there just to ask this dumb question...

SkyStrike said:
If you are referring to the one at the current IT Show and it's not sharp. The main reason being, Dell booth is being cheapo on the video source. The video source of all the screens there is from a dvd player and the video output quality is not HDMI which is the main reason why so chui...*I've checked with the staff over there regarding this...*

If I have not done my reading online, I will think the same too...but after buying it back and tested on my videos, SOLID...

btw, If you are buying from this IT show, Please remember to ask them how to register for the 5 year warranty. I came home only to find that Dell's registration for warranty is via this Service Tag which is NOT included (nor found) in the . I will be returning there just to ask this dumb question...

Call up dell faster bah. Go all the way back in is a hassle, especially if u drive.

got budget, get the U2711 but pls pls order online.

the price at IT show just sucks.

wow.. Thank a lot for the great advise. I really got tight budget for it.

how about u2312Hm?

Call up dell faster bah. Go all the way back in is a hassle, especially if u drive.

hmm, I think I try asking Dell first before heading down to ask regarding this....probably dropping by MBS for a shoot after that.

wow.. Thank a lot for the great advise. I really got tight budget for it.

how about u2312Hm?

After some read readup of the U2312 vs U2412, the performance is roughly the same. The main diff is the 1 inch bigger. I somehow did not regret getting the 24", cos of the working space it gives me on 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. I personally find the proportion of 16:9 (U2312) is abit too long and U2412 is just nice (16:10)..

In short: If you have a tight budget (cannot stretch anymore), actually U2312 also works lar. But I really recommend topping up $100 more to get U2412.

SkyStrike said:
hmm, I think I try asking Dell first before heading down to ask regarding this....probably dropping by MBS for a shoot after that.

After some read readup of the U2312 vs U2412, the performance is roughly the same. The main diff is the 1 inch bigger. I somehow did not regret getting the 24", cos of the working space it gives me on 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. I personally find the proportion of 16:9 (U2312) is abit too long and U2412 is just nice (16:10)..

In short: If you have a tight budget (cannot stretch anymore), actually U2312 also works lar. But I really recommend topping up $100 more to get U2412.

Compare to the previous U2410, this U2412 feels more sucky.... So is the U2312 as compared to its predecessor....

16:10 is a great ratio. Just nice view full wall paper above ur task bar. Wahahhahaha.
If I got the dough, ill go for U2711 or U3011 at least, if not, just buy U2412 bah..

Hi there,
if I were you,I rather look for a 2nd hand brand new monitor

Hi there,
if I were you,I rather look for a 2nd hand brand new monitor

I am afraid it is hard to understand the above.

Hi all,

I bought a 24 dell 2342. Thank a lot for all the advice. But one more thing how to connect Mac and monitor.

samsung led just sux...