buying LX3 or GF1?

sinceredeal

Oct 22, 2009
I am pondering over LX3 and GF1. Both are capable of having good quality photos. LX3 is lighter and smaller, whereas GF1 is heavier and slighter bigger. I guess prices are quite apart, since GF1 has just launched. If this is a repeated thread, pls direct me to the previous threads. thanks all.

If you don't mine the price and weight, go for the GF1. It's better performer at high ISO.

IMO, GF-1 is a better performer all-round. But the LX3 is a real charming camera.

I have both :bsmilie:

I can understand where u're coming from, as I was having similar thoughts a couple of months back. When I was considering LX3, GF1 was announced but not launched in SG yet. Rather than start comparing specs, u should start by analysing what u really need, & what's your photography lifestyle. U will then be able to make decisions on size, weight, price & features.

Thanks for sharing your thots. So eventually, which cam did you get? I read that GF1 has good video recording. :)

I got the LX3, but i also see the likelihood of upgrading to a micro-4/3 camera in e near future. Size wise, a GF1 is able to match LX3 only if u're getting a pancake lens. Adding a pancake lens will mean a GF1 is more than 2 times the price of LX3. The price is worth it if u're able to maximise the use of GF1, & hopefully, get better pictures. Most newbies would like to think that a good camera will solve all their problems, when actually it only helps to reduce some minor errors. It's better to take some time to polish up the knowledge & skills, before deciding if a particular class of camera is suitable or not.

If you emphasise on image quality, would invest in lenses and want a portable package, go for GF1. The LX3 is a cheaper (though not directly competing model) that would suffice for most casual users.

I have a LX3 and it is my carry-anywhere camera. Though I would love to have the GF1, I have some doubts its user ergonomics suits me. I mean, how would you compose with a GF1/14-45mm lens combo since you're unlikely to pinch it like a PnS, and you can't really cradle the lens like a dSLR cos the body is too small without mashing your fingers, and since it doesn't have viewfinder it works against my gradually far-sighted vision.

:cry: I'm so not made for GF1!

GF1? testing the water.

do you own a slr system already?

if so, by buying a gf-1, you're buying into another system - which is costly. plus an aps-c, or full frame, will trash it for ISO performance and dynamic range.

the lx3 is a compact complement to a dslr system if you own one; if not, if you favour the m4/3 system, then buy it!

do you own a slr system already?

if so, by buying a gf-1, you're buying into another system - which is costly. plus an aps-c, or full frame, will trash it for ISO performance and dynamic range.

the lx3 is a compact complement to a dslr system if you own one; if not, if you favour the m4/3 system, then buy it!

My thoughts actually the opposite of this. To go into GF-1 means you are getting into DSLR-like systems already. Different things to consider than LX3 which is PnS. Don't need dry box, don't need to worry about lens, easier to bring around, etc.

To go for GF-1, there are many more considerations involved in buying a "mini" DSLR, which you will be familiar with if have owned a DSLR before.

Hi, Lens of GF1 is interchangeable, not LX3, which is a great advantage.

To me, the GF1 is at its "best" size when using the pancake lens. If you think zoom lens is very impt and intend to get the m4/3 zoom lens to use with GF-1, then it loses it's portability. In that case you might wanna consider getting an entry-level 4/3 camera.

'cos the price of a 4/3 cam is lower than the GF-1. And is not so much bigger than GF-1 with a zoom lens and external viewfinder attached.

Picture quality wise, there's no doubt that the GF-1 wins LX3 hands down.
However at that price, you are able to buy an 4/3 or entry-level DSLR which gives better image quality, sacrificing the size and weight though.

U're probably considering GF1 because of the size, but that benefit is quickly lost unless u use a pancake lens. That is also assuming that u don't wish to bring along more than 1 lens, which will mean u'll have to carry a camera bag around. So if u're gonna end up with a camera bag, then might as well go for the usual DSLR, whose body is more ergonomic & stable to hold.

LX3 is meant to complement a DSLR for occasions where u couldn't or didn't want to bring a DSLR. In those occasion, u would have captured the moment with LX3, but would still think 'Damn, if only i've bought my DSLR ...'

anyone can shed some lights on the weights of a GF1 (20mm) and LX3? (batt incl)

LX3 is fixed len cam, so it cant have additional lens on it, thus its weight remains constant.:)

On the other hand, GF1 has capability of interchangeable lens. so if i ever get a GF1, i would opt for pan cake len (20mm) only. Dont think i will buy additional lens for it. I prefer portable cam with a leather casing, rather then lugging a big cam bag along.

GF1's quality is better than LX3's as some ppl have commented. Hmm..what should i get? :dunno:

Will these cams be available in coming SITEX at expo?

If u follow the threads in this forum, u'll notice that most bros will NOT reccomend getting cameras from SITEX, Comex or IT Shows.

If u follow the threads in this forum, u'll notice that most bros will NOT reccomend getting cameras from SITEX, Comex or IT Shows.
depends on mode of payment..if using preferred credit cards, sometimes worthwhile.

Pls enlighten me. What are the reasons for that? tks.