Buying Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwirl

Mar 20, 2005
South West
Hi,
I recently decided to "upgrade" to DSLR and have bought EOS 400D. What i would like to ask is, when i decide to get a new lens (currently thinking of a 50mm prime or 10-22mm) what should i look out for when buying the lens? Could i test out a few before deciding on one? Should i bring my camera along as well. What other things should i look out for before deciding that there is no sort of defects on the lens?:sweat:

Any pointers is much appreciated. Thank you.

Bro/Sis..... are you talking about buying 2nd hand lense or brand new ??

If brand new..... yes, best bring down your camera to have a look see look see. and you could test a few lense too. But do ask around which shop have a better policy when it comes to letting you test lense..... me, myself.... buy mostly 2nd hand lense.... testing is never a problem.

Btw..... do you even have a 'walk about' lense ?? something like a EF-S 17-85mm f4 or tamron 17-50mm f2.8 ?? Both lense you listed down ain't so good as a walk about lense.....
50mm being mainly for portraits and 10-22mm being 'very' wide angel......

Bro/Sis,
I'm a bro ;)
Yah i have the 17-85mm kit lens. And yes i am aware of the wide angle 10-22mm gives, and i think i love it!:lovegrin:

Thinking of going down to MS color this monday since alot pple recommend the shop. Do they mind me trying a few lens? And when i try what should i be looking out for so as not to get a "bad" one?

Thanks!

Buying lenses is totally up to what u shoot most often, preference and budget. Some prefer wide, some tele. Some need IS while other don't and some prefer L while others normal ones. And remember lenses are expensive investments so decide wisely.

Bro/Sis,
I'm a bro ;)
Yah i have the 17-85mm kit lens. And yes i am aware of the wide angle 10-22mm gives, and i think i love it!:lovegrin:

Thinking of going down to MS color this monday since alot pple recommend the shop. Do they mind me trying a few lens? And when i try what should i be looking out for so as not to get a "bad" one?

Thanks!

MS is quite ok.... don't think they would mind. Some shops in Sim Lim wouldn't even be 'happy' if you ask question..... :eek:

I don't own a Canon 10-22mm ..... but have the Sigma version (10-20mm). As I take quite alot of landscape + building..... a super wide angel lens is important to me. But of course the price of a EF-S 10-22mm is way beyond my buget.... :sweat:

For brand new lense out of the box.... check the AF motor for strange sound when focusing and see if there is any dent on the lense body. Mould or dust.... of course, shouldn't be inside the lense.....

Hope this helps Bro..... :D

And remember lenses are expensive investments so decide wisely.

Thanks i know they are an expensive investment:sweat:
But of course the price of a EF-S 10-22mm is way beyond my buget.... :sweat:

For brand new lense out of the box.... check the AF motor for strange sound when focusing and see if there is any dent on the lense body. Mould or dust.... of course, shouldn't be inside the lense.....

Yup i like thanking landscapes and the surroundings too! Hence the decision to get 10-22mm:lovegrin:
Me too think the 10-22mm is highly priced compared to the Sigma, but feel might as well invest in the "better" one. Thanks for the tips on lens choosing! Appreciate it loads:thumbsup:

Bro/Sis,
I'm a bro ;)

Thanks!

If you have already set your mind on buying the 10-22mm and the test is more for seeing if you have a good copy, then I suggest you get an e-quote before heading down to the shop. My experience is that the e-quote will be much lower than your walk-in asking price.

They are ok with you trying a couple of lenses on the spot. Better still, they do offer to do an exchange within a few days if there is a problem after you bring it back.

I have bought the 10-22mm from them too, its one of my favourite lens, fun and light.

MS is quite ok.... don't think they would mind. Some shops in Sim Lim wouldn't even be 'happy' if you ask question..... :eek:

I don't own a Canon 10-22mm ..... but have the Sigma version (10-20mm). As I take quite alot of landscape + building..... a super wide angel lens is important to me. But of course the price of a EF-S 10-22mm is way beyond my buget.... :sweat:

yep. MS shd have no probs.
but OP @ SLS 6th floor, the ppl there are quite nice also. let me see and test out stuff when i went.

when testing, other than testing for the things mentioned above, u can also try the sharpness and focusing. take alr, and do a quick check for sharpness with ur LCD screen w/ image zoomed in. if in doubt, can ask the shopkeeper. (but of cos read up on the lenses u want to buy, like reviews. sometimes, shopkeepers themself might give false info or try to "recommend" u other lenses lol)

I suggest you get an e-quote before heading down to the shop. My experience is that the e-quote will be much lower than your walk-in asking price.

I have bought the 10-22mm from them too, its one of my favourite lens, fun and light.

Ok i will email them for a quote prior to going down there:thumbsup:

I hope i will join you soon with one of those lens!;p

yep. MS shd have no probs.
but OP @ SLS 6th floor, the ppl there are quite nice also. let me see and test out stuff when i went.

when testing, other than testing for the things mentioned above, u can also try the sharpness and focusing. take alr, and do a quick check for sharpness with ur LCD screen w/ image zoomed in. if in doubt, can ask the shopkeeper. (but of cos read up on the lenses u want to buy, like reviews. sometimes, shopkeepers themself might give false info or try to "recommend" u other lenses lol)

Ok! Will do just those things mentioned in here...just hope i wont look too swakoo ah :bsmilie:
First time go buy lens dunno wat to look out for...Thanks for all the suggestions and tips

Happy Lunar New Year to All!

Hi again

Was wondering between these 2 50mm primes EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the f1.8 II version. Is there a huge difference? anyone tried using both before? bcoz the pricing is about $400 difference is it worth that extra cash?:confused:

Thanks Again

The 50mm f/1.4mm USM has better build quality, faster / quieter Autofocus (USM) and better bokeh (f/1.4, good for isolation / portraits).

If you have cash to spare, get the f/1.4, but for me, I just bought it as a 'lens to mess around with', so f/1.8II for me.

but for me, I just bought it as a 'lens to mess around with', so f/1.8II for me.

:bsmilie: Heheh nice way to put it. Hmm maybe i also lah get it to mess around with. Coz i wont really be focusing on potraitures...more interested in landscapes/building shots. But then again maybe after feeling the lens i might change my mind...lol

Thank you.

:bsmilie: Heheh nice way to put it. Hmm maybe i also lah get it to mess around with. Coz i wont really be focusing on potraitures...more interested in landscapes/building shots. But then again maybe after feeling the lens i might change my mind...lol

Thank you.

Do suggest you try both the f1.4 & f1.8....

I was thinking the same way too..... till I saw and tried the f1.8 MkII :(

It may be the cheapest lense from Canon..... but the built is really really bad. :thumbsd: Much better to get the f1.4..... got better resale value some more.... Of course as always..... all up to the buyer... ;)

Do suggest you try both the f1.4 & f1.8....

I was thinking the same way too..... till I saw and tried the f1.8 MkII :(

It may be the cheapest lense from Canon..... but the built is really really bad. :thumbsd: Much better to get the f1.4..... got better resale value some more.... Of course as always..... all up to the buyer... ;)

Not until so bad lah but the built is less sturdy. U should try the f/1.2 one and u'll forget abt the other 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.