Buying Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah_Seng

Apr 8, 2003
Land of the woods........
Hi all,

May I know how or what you guys check for when buying lenses?

Sorry I veri sua koo leh.....neber buy lenses before.... :embrass: :embrass:

See the box got dust or not.... :bsmilie:
Seriously, the salesman will normally take out the lens from the box, out from the plastic bag, then hand it to you.
You are supposed to check the outside got any scratches or not, then check the ink marking, then open the aperture at the widest, (ie f2.8, f4 etc), then point the lens to a bright light source, (eg sunlight outside the shop, light tube on shop ceiling), then look through the lens from the camera mount, and see got any fungus inside, then see got big dust inside (small dust is common and no need to worry), also see got hair inside or not. Then turn the lens around and see from the front lens and check fungus/dust/hair/etc.
Remember, the salesman are there to sell u a lens, they will try whatever it takes to sell it to u, believe them or not is up to u, dont buy under pressure.

Hi Austin,

Thanks for the tip. That's really helpful....at least know what to check for, and not just "gong gong" buy... :bsmilie:

About the ink marking part, what is the purpose for checking that?
Is the ink marking those markings on the lens?

Will the shop normally allow you to test the lens on a body, and perhaps snap a few pics?

Sekali this is not the normal practice and I ask the salesman to do that..he will look at me like :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Unless you already know the lens that you are buying well otherwise the norm is to bring your camera to the shop put the lens on, feel it take some test shots. Go back home and see the pics on your PC. If you are satisfied and after thinking over it for the night than return the next day to check and buy the lens. :)

eagles_creek said:
Hi Austin,

Thanks for the tip. That's really helpful....at least know what to check for, and not just "gong gong" buy... :bsmilie:

Will the shop normally allow you to test the lens on a body, and perhaps snap a few pics?

Sekali this is not the normal practice and I ask the salesman to do that..he will look at me like :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

eagles_creek said:
The ink marking are those little word like NIKKOR, f2.8-4, Made in Japan, etc. Normally for very old lens, ie lens has been on the shelf for many years, the ink marking will fall off.
In the past, (ie I am an old man now ;) ), we dont test the lens when we buy lens, we just check the scratch/fungus/dust then pay money and go home. But nowadays many ppl will want to test the lens at the shop, they will bring their camera along, some even bring the DSLR and laptop along, then snap and see images.
You got to see the salesman face, some are happy for u to test while some are not so happy.

Hi . . .
Just wanted to check with all . . .
What about those G lens for Nikon? The aperture is already closed down to the smallest right (i think so)? So how to look at the light and check for dust and hair? :think:

Long Thai Bean said:
Hi . . .
Just wanted to check with all . . .
What about those G lens for Nikon? The aperture is already closed down to the smallest right (i think so)? So how to look at the light and check for dust and hair? :think:
if im not wrong, its possible to open aperture still, just gotta press this metal piece on the lens ring .... not sure... any pros can confirm? :)

For G lens, there is a small metal tip at the rear lens, just slide it along clockwise direction and the apperture will open to the fullest.

If you going to buy at CP, just drop over to Spinelli's and look for the nikon wankers, one or two of us will be willing to help you check the len for scratches and abnormalies.

espn said:
If you going to buy at CP, just drop over to Spinelli's and look for the nikon wankers, one or two of us will be willing to help you check the len for scratches and abnormalies.

Oh...the Spinelli's opp Ruby's ? Thanks man....

And a big thanks to all CS folks for your "lens buying guide."
:cheergal: :cheers: :cheergal:

Wonder if anyone can put this as a sticky, it should help us newbies. ;)

Yo, I'm looking around for those screw on 0.5x and 2X lens for my DSC-V1, other than the normal specs like IR, multi coated, bla...bla, they also mentioned thing like 5 or 8 elements. May I know what is the elements about? More or less is better?

if u r buying from cp at peninsula, look for kelvin who is :thumbsup:

espn said:

onestoptakeaway said:
Yo, I'm looking around for those screw on 0.5x and 2X lens for my DSC-V1, other than the normal specs like IR, multi coated, bla...bla, they also mentioned thing like 5 or 8 elements. May I know what is the elements about? More or less is better?

You want Sony's VCL-DEH17V and VCL-DEH07V? It's better than the Kenko, does not cause a slight colour shift...

PM me if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.