Buying lenses from a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVlarcus

Dec 14, 2008
Hi guys I recently purchased a 50mm f1.8 prime lens from someone late last week, and I took good care of it(No knocks, drops) and put it into my dry cabi when not in use. The night I bought it, I tested it out at night and there were some focusing issues with the lens. but thought to myself, maybe all of this prime lens model was made like that as it was a cheap lens. The following day, I was staying at MBS and tried to test it AGAIN at night. it was completely out of focus, and it would only be in MF mode where the AF motor would make noise(Here's the problem) And when I switched to AF mode, it wouldn't even work and would be in MF mode. but somehow or rather, I decided to switch back to my other lens and let the prime rest for awhile and when I tried it again the next day, the AF was working again but in MF mode, the AF motor would make cranky noise.

So as the seller gave me 7 days personal warranty(Lens warranty over), I decided to tell him that the lens wasn't functioning well, Auto focus would not work during night and the AF motor would even be working in MF mode thus he agreed to do a refund on Tuesday. We met up after my class and I slowly explained to him my problems with the lens and he did a full refund. :thumbsup:

Just about 10 minutes ago, he messaged me to tell me that he had sent it to CSC to get it repaired and said that the cause was that I had probably dropped it for the mechanism to spoil, and further said that it cost him $5 for the canon rear lens cap?:thumbsd: I mean he is a WORKING ADULT, whereas I'm a 17 year old STUDENT who is still studying and he has to rant to me about a rear lens cap that cost him $5 as well? This is the first time I'm buying from CS B&S and he tries blaming me for dropping it(Of course, I'm certain there are some really nice and trustworthy sellers out there that doesn't push the blame onto others). I then decided to give him a piece of my mind as it ain't right for him to push the blame onto me if he sold me a faulty piece of lens. I'm just wondering what to do next if he replies.....:confused:

P.S he had 2 piece of the prime lens and my other friend went with me to grab the 2 pieces. I'm now praying that her lens doesn't have any problems.:dunno:
Though he let me test the lens out before I bought it, it only started to show it's true colours after awhile in use.

Last edited:
I can't find any points to symphatise with you.

You bought the lens after testing it to be ok.

The seller gave you a personal warranty although he is not obliged to.

The seller gave you full refund upon your request.

TS, did you loss out anything here? Has the seller ask you to pay for the repair?
I don't have a chance to read the message. However, it is a 50-50 case, no one is there to see what happen.
Just move on and concentrate on your final exam. :bigeyes:

I guess maybe it was just fate, the things just spoils when you reach your hand. Anyway don't be bother by this incident. I have buy/sell a fair amount of lens, camera from CS. 90% of them is ok, so not too bad la! just be careful lor. And its really good as the seller actually gave you a full refund!

Need to hear from both parties for fairness.
I applaud the seller for giving and honoring his 7 days personal warranty.
The part who damaged the lens, no one knows what happen, besides the seller himself and yourself.

fact: the equipment was fine on the spot where u tested before buying

fact: he took back lens and he honoured his 1 week warranty

fact: he had to pay for servicing. even at csc now, having them look at the lens to see what's wrong costs 7 bucks.

i dun see a reason why u shld complain. if i'm the seller i could just say "u broke it, ur own problem". he was nice enough to give benefit of doubt and take back the lens, and spend more to repair it.

onus is on u to check and make sure everything is fine before buying. if seller is willing to take back items, he has fufiled his moral obligations.

what is the point of posting this thread to say ur long grandma story?:think: what are u trying to do, raise the fact that ur seller is unscrupulous? cause it just doesnt fit sorry.

Just about 10 minutes ago, he messaged me to tell me that he had sent it to CSC to get it repaired.

he said u proabably. its a probability. he didnt say "YOU DID IT"

prime lens try to test with focus chart for back and front focus issues.
http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

normally for these type of online transactions, once you hand the money over, technically you deem the product is okay at the point of the transaction.

Last edited:
I can't find any points to symphatise with you.

You bought the lens after testing it to be ok.

The seller gave you a personal warranty although he is not obliged to.

The seller gave you full refund upon your request.

Agree. What's there to rave and rant? I don't see anything wrong leh.. :dunno:

NAME THE SELLER.!!!.....

I dont mind dealing with people like this

Last edited:
NAME THE SELLER.!!!.....

I dont mind dealing with people like this
i thought u gonna ban him until i saw the fine words:bsmilie:

why are u bitching if you received a full refund

Do name the seller.

I think many people including me will give a thumbup for him.

TS sounds like a kid with a lot of pent up stress

It would be a miracle if ts is going to name the seller. Usually many people like ts would only like to complain and name people who are in their bad books, but keep the good things to themselves. Kudos to the seller:thumbsup:. Hard to find people with such good integrity nowadays.

lol get full refund still kb, u lucky u even get a full refund.

As a neutral party, I would applaud the seller for honouring his word by giving you a full refund, as promised for the transaction.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a low-end prime lens with commendable IQ at its price. You could get it new at $120-$130, and a second hand one easily from $90-$110. Given its low price, it is no surprisingly that the lens, with a plastic mount, could have its internal components dislodged should you knock it against something, swing it around, or perhaps drop it.

If an L-lens was giving problem like this, I'll sure be ranting about why the product doesn't live up to its L-branding. But for a $120 lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.