Buying lens in Chinatown shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon79

Mar 31, 2009
seems like cheaper than in funan, peninsular plaza

is it worth it? anyone have experience buying from camera shops in chinatown area?

I don't really trust those shops in Chinatown. I suggest if you want to buy from them, that you know exactly how much it should cost, what you should get with it (accessories, warranty), how long the duration of warranty is and where it will be upheld.

Usually, if prices are too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

I don't really trust those shops in Chinatown. I suggest if you want to buy from them, that you know exactly how much it should cost, what you should get with it (accessories, warranty), how long the duration of warranty is and where it will be upheld.

Usually, if prices are too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

i asked for the 55-200mm nikon lens, they quoted me 320(inclusive GST)
funan and peninsula plaza shops quoted me above 400 for the same lens

warranty 1 year.. what do u think? is it worth?

Not advisable. But there may be one or two reasonable shops there.

I once visited a shop that sold a lot of "spare" accessories, like lens casings from brands like Sigma and Minolta. I later realise that these must come from somewhere. So could it be the shop sold the lens and kept these cases that is supposed to be part of package. Anyway, I am just speculating and am not accusing anyone of anything.

Personally, I would only purchase from the list of "trusted" shops often mentioned here in CS. As they say, don't be "penny-wise, pound-foolish".

I think likewise as Jinks. Prefer to buy from reliable sources esp those that are recommended. Buying from unknown sources will sometimes give you some kind of mental stress as compared to reliable ones. I will still prefer to pay slightly more for assurance...

is it worth it? anyone have experience buying from camera shops in chinatown area?

i asked for the 55-200mm nikon lens, they quoted me 320(inclusive GST)
funan and peninsula plaza shops quoted me above 400 for the same lens

warranty 1 year.. what do u think? is it worth?
yeah, it Seems...............

for reliable price and service, just go the those recommended shops which many CSers patronize.

Bring carrot there and be ready to be chop.

Later got lots of condition apply, that you never know.

yeah, it Seems...............

for reliable price and service, just go the those recommended shops which many CSers patronize.
nothing is too cheap to be true. unless you know what you are doing(done your homework) and have nothing to lose.

he quoted me 320(inclusive GST) cash price for 55-200mm VR lens

nikon warranty 1 year

anything else tat i can ask for?

he quoted me 320(inclusive GST) cash price for 55-200mm VR lens

nikon warranty 1 year

anything else tat i can ask for?

if u still not sure, go ask a few more shops....

dat wat i always do..research, research, research!

do your homework.

know what to expect (meaning receipt, warranty card)

check the condition of the lens.

pay money and go.

sometimes shady looking shops might not be too bad. if you know the prices in the mkt, and you do not in any way resemble a carrot head, they are good places to get bargains from.

Why not do a search here. Find out what shops that other CSers highly recommend, at least you'll have a ease of mind after your purchase. Sometimes you have to look beyond price when buying your equipment.. like after sales support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.