Buying Lens from Pixel and Shutter at Sim Lim

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinton

Feb 23, 2005
Hi guys.

I thought I'll just do a little asking around regarding buying camera equipment. I am looking at getting a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII Nikon Mount. I was in Sim Lim the other day and happen to notice the shop "Pixel and Shutter" I think it's at level 3. Went in to take a look as I was curious and asked about their price for the tamron lens. The sales person quoted me $630 at first. As I was merely asking around, I did not seem very interested and he asked me "How much I'm looking at?" followed by a very prompt "$600".

Was also told that the nikon mount lens is $10 more exp then the canon mount lens. I'm not so familiar with Tamron lenses, but is this generally true?

Honestly, it seems like a good deal for this Tamron lens. However, being an IT guy, we all know SLS shops usually have to be careful unless your are buying from certain reputable shops. I don't know if this also applies to a shop like "Pixel and shutter", so I thought I'll ask around for people who may be a little more familiar about them then me.

Thanks for any advise or experiences shared in advance.

erase sim lim from ur brain forever for camera supplies.

you're better off at TKPHOTO.

save 60 bucks for a whole load of incovenience, i rather pay the money to have a peace of mind.

even at alan photo in SLS also love to chop carrot, and the sales man there don't really like to make business with singaporean, esp when they see you like can't really affort,

Don't get anything from Pixel and shutter. The indian guy there is a well known cheat. :sticktong

SimLim Square, you pay for tourist price there. Only good for computer, IT stuff.

Regards,
Arto.

yah... alan photo quoted $1.6k for 12-24mm AFS, chop carrot la

yar lor, they even quoted me $120++ for a NC filter... Regardless of the size. :nono:

omg that shop
the last time i tried to buy an ipod there early last year(ok i know its not camera related) this guy quoted me at $XXX at first. then i went around scouting for a better price. but when i returned to purchase it, he demanded me to buy the other accessories at cut throat prices which i clearly dont need. the best part is that he refused to sell me if i dont get the other stuff.
i suggest all of you boycott that shop and hope it goes bust and a more reputable shop takes over.

well that shop i s obviously a cheating shop. that time i wanna get a D80 and he offer me a darn nice price 1790 then almost deal that time, he added the GST which is 19++, dang~~~ that cheater, then i wanna leave and he reluctant to let me go sayin this n that. then i insist to leave and his face turned black.

ask blowblue.......

paging blowblue......... need your attention.....

well that shop i s obviously a cheating shop. that time i wanna get a D80 and he offer me a darn nice price 1790 then almost deal that time, he added the GST which is 19++, dang~~~ that cheater, then i wanna leave and he reluctant to let me go sayin this n that. then i insist to leave and his face turned black.
That's their trick few years back. Now sometimes they still use it to tourist. Just said other shop include GST in their price and walk away. So don't let them see your money or card before you see their final price clearly.

Regards,
Arto.

omg that shop
the last time i tried to buy an ipod there early last year(ok i know its not camera related) this guy quoted me at $XXX at first. then i went around scouting for a better price. but when i returned to purchase it, he demanded me to buy the other accessories at cut throat prices which i clearly dont need. the best part is that he refused to sell me if i dont get the other stuff.
i suggest all of you boycott that shop and hope it goes bust and a more reputable shop takes over.

:nono: I have a similiar experience with camera shop in Shim Lim, initially before i am buying, he quoted a fairly good price + some freebies. After i want to buy, he is trying hard to ask me to get additional accessories for the camera, which i am not interested.

Hence, when i am paying the $$$, he just took out some of the freebies from the package, unless i am buying other accessories as well.... which is not the original agreement.

What i do next is walk out straight from the shop (and get back my $$$ which he refused to do so initially)...since that day, i never been to shim lim anymore for anything.

I prefer Funan, and camera shop like john 316, cathay photo, Lords. The price are quite good also. And Even if i have to pay a bit extra, i will prefer it that way than having bad people to earn my $$$.

sounds pretty bad huh...

:nono: I have a similiar experience with camera shop in Shim Lim, initially before i am buying, he quoted a fairly good price + some freebies. After i want to buy, he is trying hard to ask me to get additional accessories for the camera, which i am not interested.

Hence, when i am paying the $$$, he just took out some of the freebies from the package, unless i am buying other accessories as well.... which is not the original agreement.

What i do next is walk out straight from the shop (and get back my $$$ which he refused to do so initially)...since that day, i never been to shim lim anymore for anything.

I prefer Funan, and camera shop like john 316, cathay photo, Lords. The price are quite good also. And Even if i have to pay a bit extra, i will prefer it that way than having bad people to earn my $$$.
when you are paying already, he shouldnt be doing anything to the package unless he is stamping the warranty. this is pretty much a scam already.

ARgh!!! P n S??? dat shop!! idiotic people inside. i will get osama to bomb dat shop. ;p
but seriously no offence. most shop in SLS are plain cheats. especially e poor tourists. :cry: they r e easiest to cheat. Be it any photography equipments, its best to get it from CP, AP or john 3:16 :)

mrs bush, blair & co. would really appreciate if u hv the slightest hint of osama's hideout

ARgh!!! P n S??? dat shop!! idiotic people inside. i will get osama to bomb dat shop. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.