Buying into the RRS system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Buying into the Canon system allows me to have a lineup of lenses, bodies and flashes. Buying into the Lowepro system allows me to use their sliplock system and make my bags very modular. So, what about RRS?

While Lowepro has their sliplock system, RRS uses their L plate for pretty much everything that has to do with mounting onto the camera, or mounting the camera to the tripod.

So now I'm thinking about buying into the RRS system-- L plate, BH-40 ballhead (atop a cheap yongnuo tripod, heh, no money for good ones yet) and the Wedding Pro-Flash bracket. Need some comments from any users, past and present, about the system.

Lets talk about the L bracket first. From what I've seen online, it surely looks well made. My problem with using the manfrotto RC2 system (friend's one) was when I needed the camera unmounted and shot in vertical position with the grip. The edges of the rectangle were damn sharp and it really was uncomfortable shooting. Looks like RRS really has got it right and all the edges seem to be curved properly. I know-- I'm stupid if I buy into the system just because of this comfort, but lets get to the other point.

Mounting the camera onto the tripod in vertical orientation seems to be a totally smart idea for me- I shoot in vertical orientation a lot and every time I mount my camera to the ballhead and shoot vertical, my hand is positioned very awkwardly over / around the ballhead trying to depress the grip shutter. With the ballhead at that angle (90degrees to the left), the axis of movement is now to the right of my camera, so it gets really frustrating when tracking.

Oh, does the L plate for 400D with grip allow me to access the battery compartment?

So now my problem is that if I purchase the L plate, I'd have to go with arca swiss compatible ballheads. The BH-40 seems like a good design that isn't very expensive. Any comments on this one?

So now we come to flash brackets. Like I said, I shoot in vertical orientation a lot, and with my hotshoe mounted flash, I get side shadows a lot because I shoot indoors. I absolutely hate that. Before knowing about RRS, I initially looked at stroboframe, wimberley and Demb (flip it guy) brackets. The stroboframe looked okay, but it didn't allow my left hand to grasp the lens (for zooming or focusing). Wimberley didn't free my left hand too, and was even more expensive. Now demb is the interesting one- he totally goes against the rules of having the flash above the lens in horizontal or vertical orientation and goes for 'directional' lighting, something that probably would give side shadows. Doesn't matter though, reviews state that the bracket is mounted to the right and interferes with shooting with the battery grip.

How does the wedding bracket from RRS perform? I need my left hand free, and the bracket needs to be light, collapsible, study, and not break (china stuff, hehh).

Oh, and know any place in SG that sells RRS stuff? CP doesn't distribute it.

Cheers,
Zexun

Last edited:
First of all, the L-bracket does not cover the battery compartment so there is no worry of the bracket preventing you from changing the battery.

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the BH-40 as I bought the Markins Q3 instead. The Q3 received rave reviews in Nikonians but I think BH-40 should be a good choice. I remember one bro bought the BH-55 and he has no regrets, the BH-40 should perform like-wise.

From what I read, the wedding bracket certainly looks good and very portable because it folds up into a small, compact package. I had not read any user reporting on the wedding bracket breaking, so I take it that it should be very sturdy.

Lastly, RRS stuffs are only available online but their delivery is very quick and usually reaches you within a week. Do let me know if you are getting anything, we may be able to save a bit on the shipping ;)

Last edited:
First of all, the L-bracket does not cover the battery compartment so there is no worry of the bracket preventing you from changing the battery.

Ah, you're a nikonian I see. For my batt grip, the battery is taken out from the the bottom left (similar to 1D models). The 1D L bracket has a gap at the lower left, but for the 400D +grip it doesn't have it.

I just searched for more pics of the setup, and found this. Circled is the area that the batt cartridge fits into.

battgripgc2.jpg
-
BGE2L30_side.jpg
(Pictured is 30D with grip where batts are taken out from behind, 400D grip batt cartridge exits from the left)

Yup, it does prevent me from taking batts out. Damn. I'll buy one for my 50D next time then.

Last edited:
The L-plate with grip for 400D will have access to the battery compartment on the side.
Take a look HERE

They could not have designed the L-brackets for camera with grip without taking the accessing of battery into consideration.

Should have no worries in getting the bracket now, right? ;)

Hey thanks for the correction =)
RRS is an excellent system and the price tag shows it too. Kirk is another one you can consider but my preference will still be RRS.

I have the 40D L-pate (no grip) and BH-40 with B2 AS II clamp. The clamp works like a dream and is very secure.
BH40LR.gif

My BH-40 is on a Gitzo 2530 tripod. This combination has a slight problem when the head is at one of the drop-down notch. Gitzo series 2 base plate is slightly bigger than the BH-40 in diameter. As a result, if you drop the head down to one of the notches, the QR plate will be touching the Gitzo base plate and will not allow a 90 degree angle. However, if you use L-plate, you won't be doing that so this will not be a problem.

I am quite keen on the L-Plate too, if anyone ordering would like to piggy back one and split the postage. BTW it works on a Markins?

I am quite keen on the L-Plate too, if anyone ordering would like to piggy back one and split the postage. BTW it works on a Markins?

Yeah, from what I read-- any L plate works on any arca swiss compatible BH like the Markins.

Yes, I am getting one from RRS. Do let me know when will you be getting :D

Yes, I am getting one from RRS. Do let me know when will you be getting :D
You guys might want to compare whether the savings on the postage is worth the trouble since when you combine the orders, your order might exceed the S$400 limit and you will get charge with the 7% GST. Since the camera L-plate normally costs around US$150 each. Even if you do not order additional plates for your lenses, two camera L-plates will already cost close to S$400.

You guys might want to compare whether the savings on the postage is worth the trouble since when you combine the orders, your order might exceed the S$400 limit and you will get charge with the 7% GST. Since the camera L-plate normally costs around US$150 each. Even if you do not order additional plates for your lenses, two camera L-plates will already cost close to S$400.

That's a very good heads up.

According to their website, the L plate for 1Ds is now US$183 + postage = S$300++ Man can get a decent ballhead for the price!

BH40 without clamp : US$295. I don't think he need to worry about S$400 limit for combined order :)

The only time I've heard complains about RRS product is with the 40D L plate, which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to attach the remote release cable. I believe there was a redesign after the issue was discovered.

You'd need to get a new plate when you change your camera. A not inconsiderable cost.

They actually have a store in San Luis Obispo, not too far from Morro Bay and Hearst Castle. But it will add quite a lot to your cost :) Plus you have to pay California sales tax (7.25% I believe) and no sales tax / GST refund for shopping in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.