Buying first DSLR, D50 or 70s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hl2

Dec 9, 2005
North SG
Hi all....i am new here and really want to go back to photography after i sold my P&S DC recently. So i am planning for the 1st DSLR, i am originally a C user, but don't like the 350D design and was so impressed with the professional feel of the N 50 or 70s, so i decide to go for N. And i am preparing to use this one as a start kit for my path to be a photography enthusiast, and i don't think i have the time to be a professional. So i have narrow down to the D50 or D70s (Coming D200 is out my budget), after i did some reseach on the net, i have the following findings and would like to share with all of you and need some feedbacks to help,

Some major concerns for my decision

D50 as compared to D70s:

Pros: $500 cheaper, lighter and more compact, claimed using a new CCD chip which seems to have better noise performance and less moire / maze artifact pattern, Nikon Matrix metering II which is new design, faster usb transfer rate

Cons: Kit lens not as good as D70s, No DOF Preview, No WB finetune, No backlight on LCD, No viewfinder grid lines,

I almost bought the D50 few days ago, since for image quality wise it performs almost identical to D70s, but one friend which called himself prosumer user told me should go for D70s since it have a bette lens and the 18-70mm coverage is better for normal use, so i a bit wondering now. And 2 more things i also quite concering is the DOF and WB fineture function on the 70s, is it very useful and important?

welcome all positive suggestions and discussions........:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi, thanks and have done so, helpful! But anyone got ideas on how useful and important the WB fineturning fuction on 70s does? :bigeyes:

Try both, feel and play, see which one you really like. Both were my considerations but I settled on the D50 due to the following reasons:

1. Size and weight.
2. JPEG pics nicers, I'm casual shooter, dun want to process NEF too much.
3. $400+ cheaper, with this, I've bought the 55-200 lens and 50mm/f1.8.

I can live without the extra features of the D70s, the D50 is my first DSLR but won't be my last. If my interest stays within next few years, aiming to get D200 and skip the D70s :)

runes said:
If my interest stays within next few years, aiming to get D200 and skip the D70s :)

get better lenses instead

ortega said:
the question is will you use the WB fine tuning and DOF preview?
Lens can be changed.

For DOF i think is not crucial for DSLR since i can always review immediately after shot, but WB is very important and affect pic greatly, and according to some website this D70s' WB fineture seems very useful fuction for indoor lighting conditions, and this is what i will be shoting most times. I never used this function before so dont know how useful it is, so hope someone who have the experience share with me:)

i find it *very* impt since i shoot jpegs most of the time. the auto WB isn't so good, so i find myself finetuning a lot. in fact, my standby WB is auto -1, and i finetune the incandescent, fluo, cloudy and shade WBs according to situation.

you can still get the D50... for the best WB you could shoot RAW and set WB on computer. or you can use the WB bracketing as a workaround, though it is also a bit troublesome.

d7t3 said:
i find it *very* impt since i shoot jpegs most of the time. the auto WB isn't so good, so i find myself finetuning a lot. in fact, my standby WB is auto -1, and i finetune the incandescent, fluo, cloudy and shade WBs according to situation.

you can still get the D50... for the best WB you could shoot RAW and set WB on computer. or you can use the WB bracketing as a workaround, though it is also a bit troublesome.

:thumbsup: Appreciated your valuable advice, thanks. As i checked on some more of D50's sample images, i feel the WB performance is still ok, and the good things is it could always be adjusted by PP. And i agree with runes that this would not be my last DSLR i think, and D50 now seems could fit most of my need already, it's better to save some $$ and get more good lens.
:bsmilie: Glasses keep value than eletronics.

1 reason to choose D70s or D70 rather than D50 is:
1 degree spot metering.
for this reason you have to buy D70(s).

D50 cheaper but it is more overpriced than D70s.
no need buy for retail price. finding some cheaper place, so your pocket won't be burn too much.

however, if 500 bucks is the concern for you to select the camera. then do buy the canon pro1, nikon 8800 or other flagship digital still camera. flagship DCs' pictures are mostly better than DSLR + kit lens.

after getting DSLR, lens, tripod, accessories cost much much much more than the body, you may not believe now, just ask arround in this forum. most of the druggers do not believe they will be addicted before their 1st try.
most of us are shooting for fun but not making live with it. so consider carefully.

suggest you get a better body, and play with 2nd hand good lens.
lens priced below 500 bucks must have the reasons.
lens priced over 3000 bucks also must have their reasons

Both are equally good. You have to base your decision on your requirement and budget.

Get D70s, it will last you quite a while.:)

Hi thanks for all the replies, very good points.....i think better hold on for a while first lehhh:think: :think: :think: Do some seach again and grab before chrismas, and again welcome more discussion here:angel:

hl2 said:
Hi thanks for all the replies, very good points.....i think better hold on for a while first lehhh:think: :think: :think: Do some seach again and grab before chrismas, and again welcome more discussion here:angel:

I was like you a few months ago but went for the D50.

Final clincher was that it felt just right on my hands.... so it's subjective. I just like the D50 weight and size.

Just came back from a trip to New Zealand and the pics are fantastic. Nothing artistic though just family photos but I like the colours and the shots that came up. It's clear crisp and bright colours. I jsut set it all to vivid and shoot in jpeg.

John Khoo said:
I was like you a few months ago but went for the D50.

Final clincher was that it felt just right on my hands.... so it's subjective. I just like the D50 weight and size.

Just came back from a trip to New Zealand and the pics are fantastic. Nothing artistic though just family photos but I like the colours and the shots that came up. It's clear crisp and bright colours. I jsut set it all to vivid and shoot in jpeg.

Ya i think we got t same pt, have tried both at orchard road show yesterday, and feel the D50 just weights right for me, D70s is a bit bulky and heavy maybe due to the kit lens is bigger. I think now i am more thinking of what going to do with the cam, and is a bit leaning to the D50 due to its light weight and easy handling, as for me travel and home snapping plays one important part, and for that nobody likes a heavy baby. what my plan is i will get the d50 as my trial to DSLR as well as photography, test it out for whatever a DSLR can do and if somedays (years) later i feel i am really the man for photography (My naive opinion: one good photo lies 20% on the equipment, and 80% on the person who has a genius feeling to compose a good shoot. No prejudices to anyone here pls:nono: ) then i will get a more pro ones like the D200 or D2x to do whatever pro thing i like, and that time size and weight doesn't matters me since photography has become a way to enjoy myself, but D50 will still remains as my casual daily cam....;p

any objections for my plan? :think: :think: :think:

Just get what you feel is right for you..;)

Just some points to note:

1. Weight will change based on the lens you use unless you stick to the kitlens.
2. Upgrading from D50 to D70 or D200 means you cannot re-use your memory cards.

Hi,

Me newbie too, just bought my d70s not long ago. satisfied and love my d70s.

Chosen d70s cause the 18-70 + extra really justify the dollar.. IMO

One thing to mention that I love the LCD cover. It's not only to protect the LCD but it also prevent my oily face putting stain on it. imagine you can keep on cleaning n cleaning...

but I thought that is one LCD Cover for D50 as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.