Buying External flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
im thinking of buying an external flash, but im totally new at this. hope that i can get some help :)
im looking for a manual flash for my camera Finepix S9500. will most probably be using the flash for indoors, events and macros photog. will most flash be able to do these type of photog?
which brand of flash is reputable/good and does not carry a super high price tag? not yet working and my budget is quite limited :cry:
another question i want to ask is, whats the price range for an "okay" or "quite good" ext flash? need a rough guide so it is easier to shop shop. thanks in advance!

i read a lot about this flash Metz 32 Z-1 here in CS. issit a good flash?
what does it mean when its an Auto or Manual flash? dun understand :(
how do i know if it will work with my camera, Fuji S9500?

Hi, Zaknafein

32Z-1 sure works on yours' S9500

You need to set the ASA and "F stop" on the flash to match the camera Apeature, such as F4... etc

the Flash has a sensor, and when it detects enough light for F4 setting, it will cut-off the light from the flash, thus ensuring a good and accurate exposure on the camera...

In manual mode, you have to calculate the camera from subject distance, and use the magic figure 32 (if it's a 32Z1) divide by the subject distance, and work out an appropriate F stop to be set on the camera. However, 32Z1 is too basic a flash in manual mode, unlike the Vivitar 283 which you can buy a power reduction button to replace the auto sensor, itdoes not has the feature to have the power reduce by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8.... etc

In short it's easier to work in auto mode.

The important point is the camera does not communicate with the flash other, than the firing signal. SO do remember to counter check the ASA setting,otherwise you will get the wrong exposure from the flash !

Metz flash is famous to produce, a truly natural looking photo, making the subject looks "real", in bounce mode. Honestly I'd never fire the Metz direct to the subject since day 1, I bought Metz, which is more than 15 years ago....:)

Bro, you're lucky that your S9500 has a hot-shoe.

any flash for the S3 IS?

Hi people!

I have got a Canon S3 IS. I am looking for a nice slave flash with output adjustments. Coming from the G3 + 380ex combo, it has been pretty easy to trigger and get the correct exposure with the E-TTL and flash adjustments on the G3.

Any good brands and particular model to recommend?
I have viewed the Emoblitz 3++ series but realises that it simply fires with no output setting adjustment available.

Thank you!

Would like one with power adjustments and able to tilt head. Thanks!

tzesian said:
Hi, Zaknafein

32Z-1 sure works on yours' S9500

You need to set the ASA and "F stop" on the flash to match the camera Apeature, such as F4... etc

the Flash has a sensor, and when it detects enough light for F4 setting, it will cut-off the light from the flash, thus ensuring a good and accurate exposure on the camera...

In manual mode, you have to calculate the camera from subject distance, and use the magic figure 32 (if it's a 32Z1) divide by the subject distance, and work out an appropriate F stop to be set on the camera. However, 32Z1 is too basic a flash in manual mode, unlike the Vivitar 283 which you can buy a power reduction button to replace the auto sensor, itdoes not has the feature to have the power reduce by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8.... etc

In short it's easier to work in auto mode.

The important point is the camera does not communicate with the flash other, than the firing signal. SO do remember to counter check the ASA setting,otherwise you will get the wrong exposure from the flash !

Metz flash is famous to produce, a truly natural looking photo, making the subject looks "real", in bounce mode. Honestly I'd never fire the Metz direct to the subject since day 1, I bought Metz, which is more than 15 years ago....:)
thx for the reply. so that means the metz 32z-1 has both auto and manual modes?
from ur reply, it seems that i cant adjust the power of the flash. is that a big drawback? that means the only way to correct the exposure is to adjust the aperture smaller?
if i use the metz flash in auto mode, does it means it will calculate everything for me?

besides the metz 32z-1, what other ext flash can u guys recommend?
soo many questions :sweat:

A few ways to get the S3 (cameras without Hot Shoe) works !

1. Use an slave trigger, set the flash on the camera with lower output, set the external flash to bounce through the ceiling or sidewall. (I've a Spny H-1 and my friend whom had a Sony F-828 was deeply impressed with the final result of a portrait, I'd taken for him.

2. if you don't want the on camera flash to work, go buy a Infrared filter, such as Cokin 007 cut it to the size that filt the flash, hold it with velcro.... so all the light from the camera flash will be block. but the slave sensor is sensitive to Infrared light ! and it will trigger your's external flash !

3. get a used 35mm film container cut a hole on it so that the on camera flash will slide in, or velcro it to the camera body, install a slave trigger in side the film container, and trigger yours' external flash with a short length of wire from it

Hope this give some pointer to you !:)

tzesian said:
A few ways to get the S3 (cameras without Hot Shoe) works !

1. Use an slave trigger, set the flash on the camera with lower output, set the external flash to bounce through the ceiling or sidewall. (I've a Spny H-1 and my friend whom had a Sony F-828 was deeply impressed with the final result of a portrait, I'd taken for him.

2. if you don't want the on camera flash to work, go buy a Infrared filter, such as Cokin 007 cut it to the size that filt the flash, hold it with velcro.... so all the light from the camera flash will be block. but the slave sensor is sensitive to Infrared light ! and it will trigger your's external flash !

3. get a used 35mm film container cut a hole on it so that the on camera flash will slide in, or velcro it to the camera body, install a slave trigger in side the film container, and trigger yours' external flash with a short length of wire from it

Hope this give some pointer to you !:)

Hi, thanks a lot! i will definitely remember your tips but now i need a slave flash. haha!

Zaknafein said:
thx for the reply. so that means the metz 32z-1 has both auto and manual modes?
from ur reply, it seems that i cant adjust the power of the flash. is that a big drawback?

The manual output adjust is usually available in the higher end range of flash ! Not a problem , without it. Just I "heart pain" to make the flash deliver 100% of it's max output power everytime, I fire ! unless the flash is solidly build, don't do this too often !:)

that means the only way to correct the exposure is to adjust the aperture smaller?

Right !:)

if i use the metz flash in auto mode, does it means it will calculate everything for me?

Aboslutely correct ! unless the background is extremely dark or bright, you may wish to do a +/- adjustment on the flash !

besides the metz 32z-1, what other ext flash can u guys recommend?
soo many questions :sweat:

I don't spend my hard saved money to try other brand, I really can't recommend others... paiseh :embrass: PLs contribute if you have a second opinion !:)

okay, so metz is a good brand i guess :)
i have read about vivitar and sunpak too... anyone else uses these? need your opinions :)

so if i decided to get metz 32z-1, how do i make sure my exposure issnt overexposed or under if i cant adjust the power output from the flash?
also u were talking about bouncing the flash. how can i do that with this metz model?

Zaknafein said:
so if i decided to get metz 32z-1, how do i make sure my exposure issnt overexposed or under if i cant adjust the power output from the flash?
also u were talking about bouncing the flash. how can i do that with this metz model?
AFAIK, you can use Auto Aperture Mode on the flash. This AA mode will adjust flash's intensity according to flash's sensor. You just need to set correctly flash's Aperture to the camera (and set shutter speed at or below flash's sync speed (or maybe your camera will not allow you to set higher than flash's sync).

Regards,
Arto.

the s9500 camera manual says that:

"ordinary external flash units can be used. howevery, some camera-specific flash units cannot be used."
"The flash trigger voltage must not exceed 400V"
does this means that i cant use flashguns from nikon, canon, etc etc? only 3rd party ones?

I'm in electronic trade. I'd seen many failures of electronics. Although most of the flash (even those very old model, that has as high as 300+ volt on their's hot terminal) can runs on the 400V spec, by Fuji, it's best avoiding these group of flash, you don't want to damage yours' S9500 right ?!:)

Metz 32Z1 is dead safe, under 10V if my memory serves me right !:)

hmmm, ic ic, so metz flash mostly voltage quite low right? :) i might be getting the metz 36 c-2 if i dun remember wrong :D

Forget about the C-2, if you go vertical format, it can't swivel to point at top ceiling, you can only do a side bounce, if white side wall is not available, it's the end. go look for a 32Z-1, this is the minimum I can accept.

I remember you wrote somewhere, you hope the flash range could go as far as 10M, presume it's ASA 100, F4, the guide number will be 40 ! a flash with this specification is not going to be cheap !!:)

wat is guide number? read it b4 but dun understand
i thought the 36 c-2 can point the head to ceiling?

Zaknafein said:
okay, so metz is a good brand i guess :)
i have read about vivitar and sunpak too... anyone else uses these? need your opinions :)

i had friends using Metz flashes before and they work pretty fine for what you are paying for ;)

as for sunpak, i had 1 encounter with this particular brand's flash and i am quite disappointed by the flash output despite the size of the flash. i cant remember which model is it but it probably had a strength slightly more than a built-in flash on a dslr. :thumbsd: at least for me.

tzesian: ohh i get what u mean now. i only managed to find the 36 c-2 model. do u have any idea where i can get the 32 z-1?
i tried the metz website and it looks like the model is discontinued :(

Status
Not open for further replies.