Buying Experiences for Pentax Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emjay Enterprises

Apr 2, 2009
Singapore
www.emjay1984.biz
Hello fellow Pentaxians

Hope you all had a good trip to Ubin last weekend! Some nice shots seen too.

I'd like to know what your buying experiences at the various camera retail stores has been like?

Any good, bad or unique experiences to share? Any retailers (online and brick & mortar) you find has been consistently good or bad in terms of pricing, customer service, knowledge, availability of products.

Thanks to all!:D

I purchased my 1st SLR way back in the 1980s when I 1st started photography and my army friend introduced me to MS Color, which was in Nee Soon back then. Till today, I am still going back to them.

Good service, friendly staff and owners are really nice people. I also get good advice from the owners regarding purchases of certain products too.;)

I will definitely get my Pentax stuff from them in future if the price is right . . .

My experience in early 2007: "Nice camera, got any other lens to try?" "Nope." :(
My experience in late 2007: "Got any 31/43/77?" "Never bring stock before despite trying to get stock for past 3 months." :(
My experience during the 16-50/50-135 days: "Got the lens to try?" "Nope, no stock only brought in 1-2 pieces at $xxx 'cause distro say stock limited." (which is like 400 more than BHPhoto price) :(
My experience looking for AF-540FGZ flash: "Got the flash unit?" "Probably have to wait a month" *1 month later* "Got stock?" "Distro still don't have." :(
My experience trying to obtain the DA* 300mm: "Oh cool the price of the 300 is only 1.6k if I were to import it with taxes." *goes to store expecting at most 1.8k* "Oh, the DA* 300 is 2.2k, limited stock." :(

Ah, I guess it's not much of an experience. I don't blame the shop I frequent, the previous distro was just THAT bad in the early days. Stupid profit greedy people. I believe the rest of the old birds here will agree with me. The pricing is all set by the distro, even the dear sales people there also cannot lower much, and since I am frequent there, they also show me the price they are getting the lens at. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Go to store, ask for Pentax ...... reply given by store "why get Pentax? go C or N better." .... after that tries to push C and N products that the store carries.

Usual answers from most store are no stock or limited stock.

Local Experience is disappointing.

Getting my stuff from Amazon these day. Better, faster, cheaper.

Go to store, ask for Pentax ...... reply given by store "why get Pentax? go C or N better." .... after that tries to push C and N products that the store carries.

when i dropped by CP a few wks ago to ask abt the K20D they told me that there were unresolved issues with the distributor change, so best to avoid buying pentax. how about trying out a better brand, like SONY?

i said no thanks and went home :sticktong

haha the salesman wasn't really pushy about it.. but really, there was not a single pentax camera, lens or accessory on their display shelves.

OneDay! when Pentax DSLR & Lenses on SBS bus ad..haha! let's see..:bsmilie:

If you're wondering who you should allow to stock Pentax stuff, the standouts have been:
Cathay, MS Colour, Alan Photo (in no particular order).

OneDay! when Pentax DSLR & Lenses on SBS bus ad..haha! let's see..:bsmilie:

When Shriro first took over, there were Pentax ads on SBS bus and taxis.;)

The adverts are crappy at best. It featured some lines with only a few words.
More for brand retention than brand awareness. Since not many know about pentax, they should have full details adverts like what N and C are doing, especially highlighting the awards it received.
In anycase, my purchase experience was ok.
My first pentax was second hand. The K100D bought from Shriro through their agent at a pc show. The K200D came from overseas because the local agent did not sell it with the 18-55II package. There is no real place to get access to a wide selection of lenses.
It would be great if emjay can make the whole raneg available from the retailers or at the least make sure they can be purchased from them.

The adverts are crappy at best. It featured some lines with only a few words.
More for brand retention than brand awareness. Since not many know about pentax, they should have full details adverts like what N and C are doing, especially highlighting the awards it received.
In anycase, my purchase experience was ok.
My first pentax was second hand. The K100D bought from Shriro through their agent at a pc show. The K200D came from overseas because the local agent did not sell it with the 18-55II package. There is no real place to get access to a wide selection of lenses.
It would be great if emjay can make the whole raneg available from the retailers or at the least make sure they can be purchased from them.

I agree. I can understand not stocking the DA* 300mm, or some of the rarer 31mm primes, but at least allow someone to order from their favorite store. Like something they can order to tag along Emjay's next shipment.

Actually, one good way would be to use here as a MO centre for rarer stuff. Saves the trouble of stocking up stocks of stuff few people wants.

Actually, one good way would be to use here as a MO centre for rarer stuff. Saves the trouble of stocking up stocks of stuff few people wants.

Cannot be too biased. Not everyone using Pentax is on the internet or even these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.