buying DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehzeh

Aug 7, 2009
Thomas More's Vision
hi guys. i just read zoossh's guide. and I thought I should ask for more opinions. So I was thinking of buying a DSLR. I saw Lumix G1 and I thought it was compact and light. so i was thinking of getting it..

but anyway, I usually take close-up photos with macro. I take photos of flowers, things that are in my house like table chairs fans etc etc.

and my budget is less than one thousand for a brand new one. I am looking at entry level DSLR. so what do you guys think? is the Lumix G1 and the lens kit good for zooming in and macro and what not?

Thanks in advancee. :p

Welcome to Clubsnap!

technically the Lumix G1 is not a DSLR, because it doesn't have the Digital Single-Lens REFLEX feature. There is no mirror/prism combo inside.
Anyway, that's besides the point. Just nitpicking there.

If I'm not wrong, the G1's price is quite high. Less than 1K, you might consider an entry-level camera like Nikon's D60, Canon's 1000D, but also not forgetting their counterparts from Sony, Pentax, Olympus (trying to be politically correct and fair here :) )
The kit lens usually doesn't allow close-focusing for macro of insects etc. Flowers might still be all right. Definitely tables, chairs no problem...

Hello...welcome.

As I have mentioned in the forum that any entry level DSLRs will be able to produce great pictures if you used them within their limits. I'm still using an old 6MP cam too. :embrass:

As what ZerocoolAstra mention, the kit lenses will not be able to produce 1:1 macro shots, but for flowers it should still be ok.

Here is a shot taken with a Sony cam with it's premium 16-105mm lens with no PP done. Not sure if it's OK for your use.

Boro19.jpg

the G1 is considered a m4/3 system, which does not feature a mirror,

which is why there is no viewfinder, but an electronic viewfinder (live view, though better)

because of it's sensor (live mos sensor) unlike DSLRs which use CMOS sensor.

the G1 accepts leica lenses as well, however it ain't that cheap.

you'd be better off with a basic DSLR like a D40 and start buying a tamrom or sigma macro lens.

that should squeeze in your budget, and even have spare for bags and memory caards.

Nikon D40 body and Tamron 90mm macro (both 2nd hand) should be able to fit within budget, am I right?

Definitely this combo can take insects, flowers, table and chair. hehe

hey guys thanks for the replies.

Zerocoolastra: oh okay i will consider the canon and nikon. do you have any experience with sony alpha 300?

Galdor: that's quite a nice shot. Haha. :)

Lomographer: hmm any macro lens to recommend? something that is not that expensive... and able to squeeze into my budget. ty.

Thanks guys. keep it coming!!

huh.. but i looking at first hand.. yeah.. lol. and i prefer the LCD display to be tiltable... i will put the camera on the floor when taking some pictures.. yeah..

check out sigma lenses,

such as the 70-300 is also a macro lens.

lemme check it out, and will tell you again.

cheers!

tehzeh said:
hey guys thanks for the replies.

Zerocoolastra: oh okay i will consider the canon and nikon. do you have any experience with sony alpha 300?

Thanks guys. keep it coming!!

Nope I'm a Nikon user, sorry!

Alpha 300 is very competitively priced. You trying to buy it new? Not sure if it's still available.

check out sigma lenses,

such as the 70-300 is also a macro lens.

lemme check it out, and will tell you again.

cheers!

hmm ookay thanks a lot!

Nope I'm a Nikon user, sorry!

Alpha 300 is very competitively priced. You trying to buy it new? Not sure if it's still available.

hmm yah.. sony singapore website still has A300. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.