desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys, i am quite a newbie with dslr.
would like to check with your
when ur buy a DSLR,
what are the things to check
and how do your check?

Check for any visible damages on body and lens, buttons and dials are working, auto and manual focus. Thats the basic, the rest you can play around after you bought home. Usually just buy from a reputable shop to have a ease of mind or you can bring along a friend who know photography to have him/her check for you.

hi guys, i am quite a newbie with dslr.
would like to check with your
when ur buy a DSLR,
what are the things to check
and how do your check?
if u are new in dslr, reading the manual understanding the functions is good. practice and practice...

Check for any visible damages on body and lens, buttons and dials are working, auto and manual focus. Thats the basic, the rest you can play around after you bought home. Usually just buy from a reputable shop to have a ease of mind or you can bring along a friend who know photography to have him/her check for you.

i see... cos i nvr use a dslr before, only prosumer, so have problem even switching from viewfinder to lcd and such.... must the box be sealed to be sure that it is brand new? or usually the box is not sealed?

if u are new in dslr, reading the manual understanding the functions is good. practice and practice...

er... are u referring to after buying or before buying...?

i think we are all quite confused with the info you're looking for.

Have you already gotten your camera?
Are buying a new camera or 2nd hand?
When you say check, you wanna check it's condition or it's specs?

You might want to ask your question in more detail in order for the rest to help.

i think we are all quite confused with the info you're looking for.

Have you already gotten your camera?
Are buying a new camera or 2nd hand?
When you say check, you wanna check it's condition or it's specs?

You might want to ask your question in more detail in order for the rest to help.

oh i see, sorry, haha

i am planning to get my first dslr
check as in check the condition at the shop to confirm that it is ok before buying ;)

oh i see, sorry, haha

i am planning to get my first dslr
check as in check the condition at the shop to confirm that it is ok before buying ;)
first of all you have to pick a shop to buy from.

Most popular for beginners is John 3:16 at Funan as they take the time to explain and whether certain accessories are merely gimmicks or actually work for the photography but pricing i can say is very reasonable.

MS Color offers the most competitive pricing but they dont have a lot of range or stock on hand so may need to wait for whatever you order to come.

Cathay Photo/ Alan Photo has the most stuff usually in stock but you need to know the street pricings of the things you are buying.

I stick with the above shops for my stuff. More then not all their stocks are new one especially camera bodies. lens do not have date of manufacture though..

Last edited:
first of all you have to pick a shop to buy from.

Most popular for beginners is John 3:16 at Funan as they take the time to explain and whether certain accessories are merely gimmicks or actually work for the photography but pricing i can say is very reasonable.

MS Color offers the most competitive pricing but they dont have a lot of range or stock on hand so may need to wait for whatever you order to come.

Cathay Photo/ Alan Photo has the most stuff usually in stock but you need to know the street pricings of the things you are buying.

I stick with the above shops for my stuff. More then not all their stocks are new one especially camera bodies. lens do not have date of manufacture though..

er sry, what does this sentence means? i see until blur, haha :dunno:

I'm going to assume by the word 'check' you mean that to make sure you get a good working set. If you're buying it new, just do a few quick trial shots and view it to see if it's working. If it does work, you be fine. You can then make your payment and bring homeyour new expensive toy and start playing with it. If in case that you find something wrong, fret not cos you can always fall back on your warranty (assuming it is not a gray set).

So far, I've bought all my cams from MS Color. They given me good service and competitive price. They offered good advise when my bro in law was choosing between C40D and C50D and they did not pressure him into getting the more expensive one unlike some other shops. Anyway, decision to go to which shop still lies on you. Best is that you do your homework b4 jumping in.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume by the word 'check' you mean that to make sure you get a good working set. If you're buying it new, just do a few quick trial shots and view it to see if it's working. If it does work, you be fine. You can then make your payment and bring homeyour new expensive toy and start playing with it. If in case that you find something wrong, fret not cos you can always fall back on your warranty (assuming it is not a gray set).

So far, I've bought all my cams from MS Color. They given me good service and competitive price. They offered good advise when my bro in law was choosing between C40D and C50D and they did not pressure him into getting the more expensive one unlike some other shops. Anyway, decision to go to which shop still lies on you. Best is that you do your homework b4 jumping in.

thanks man, the problem that i will forsee is trying out the function, cos all along i am using prosumer camera... not sure how to use a dslr, wanna buy it to learn, so at the point of buyign, i would not know how to use... let alone test it properly, think i will just point and shoot a few pic? :p

get the brothers to go with you...:)

or go on weekday where the staff can show how to use. Canon for example has free class on how to use for those who buy their camera. But after all that is your camera and other then a set of what i think are guidelines, go wild.

"More then not all their stocks are new one especially camera bodies. lens do not have date of manufacture though.."

basically some accessories like lens filters, flash, batteries and even lens could have been on the shelf for years so if looking for a certain lens, try checking online when it was first mass produced. For me, as long the warranty is there i dont worry so much.

Last edited:
i think juz put the batt in with the memory card and take a few picture lor.. can AF and can hear the click... then you go see the preview.. happy and pay lor... normally i think the first 7 dayz shop will give one to one exchange lah.. so dun worry..

first, make sure the warranty card got the company stamp.

wrt to camera, check the exterior first.

then put in the battery & check the menu options. quick one. test all the buttons & dials.

then put on a lens & try taking photographs, including multiple shots.

have fun ! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.